Damp sump plug area

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev1

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Went out today for my first proper ride, up until today I?d only really been out for 50 miles at a time but today did 130 in one stint. I pulled up in a lay-by and pretty much instantly got a drip of fluid about 4 cm in front of the cat. I looked under the bike and it dropped again. :(. When I was looking under the bike (excuse my non technical description) the part of the engine where the sump plug is about a 4 inch long 1 inch wide bit was damp I couldn?t honestly say if it was oil or coolant. I let the bike cool and wiped it off but I couldn?t say what it was. If it was coolant not sure how it just got there or if it?s oil not sure either as could see where it would have come from as sump plug is secure. I rode home About 10 miles very gently and there?s nothing on it now and nothing has dropped. I 99% certain I didn?t go over/through anything and if I did not sure why it would be just on this bit. The bike did smell hot but I just put that down to having just been through slow traffic.
Any body else had anything like this?

Might be worth checking the sump plug torque is correct before your next ride?

Oil

If you have GB Racing covers fitted then check that all the casing bolts are secure and torqued to 10 Nm. Finally, check the oil sight glass for any leakage. If it?s none of those things then it?s probably not oil that?s leaking.

No casing covers on.

Just been for a little ride again and it looks like it?s coming down from the back of sump plug area on the cat side. From what I can see of the engine on that side everything looks clean.
Could it be some sort of wax residue from the delivery that hasn?t been cleaned off and is now melting off?

I had the exact same issue with my bike. Turned out to be a faulty counter shaft seal.

So apparently there is a rubber grommet on the back of the engine( not sure where I?ll see tomorrow when I pick it up) and this has perished causing the oil to travel down the back of engine and to the the back of the sump.
A little concerning a 2 month old bike has a perished part but Fixed tomorrow fingers crossed.

Be interesting to see if that?s the cause, seems a bit like bollocks to me but I am not s bmw mechanic lol.

Back