GS911 - Woking

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vexsar

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a Gen.3 S1000RR that's currently in limp mode with a check engine light.

Tried diagnosing it with ODBLink and Motoscan, found a throttle twistgrip error. Tried clearing the error, but it doesn't go away.

Looking at Live Data, throttle grip goes smoothly from 0% to 12.21%, but the it just won't go beyond 12.21% no matter how much you twist the throttle. If you release the throttle, it goes back to 0%.

Was wondering if there's anyone with a GS911 in or around Woking that might help either with clearing the code or recalibrating the throttle.

you need to do a twist grip/throttle body reset/calibration.

try this,it's the process you run with the gs911 or RCK s/w.

turn on ignition,twist grip fully open(give a little extra pressure to get fully open),close throttle,turn off ignition,then turn back on.

see how you get on with that.

Just tried that, but it's still the same. Also tried a different method found here on the forum: full throttle, turn ignition ON, wait 15 seconds, turn ignition OFF, wait 15 seconds, release throttle.

Noticed that there is a constant humming noise coming from the airbox under the ECU. When I apply throttle, the sound changes.
Haven't really noticed it before, but maybe that's how the throttle system sounds...

Motoscan app has an option to test the throttle valves - they do open and close.
Also, tried opening the throttle valves with a finger. It takes a bit of pressure to push it down, but it is smooth, so don't think anything is sticking there.

you need to do a twist grip/throttle body reset/calibration.

try this,it's the process you run with the gs911 or RCK s/w.

turn on ignition,twist grip fully open(give a little extra pressure to get fully open),close throttle,turn off ignition,then turn back on.

see how you get on with that.

it'll be the wist grip sensor,happens a lot to my bikes when they have been stood for a while,regardless if they have been on optimate,they are very sesnitive to voltage drop from my experience,but i have a gs+RCK so quick fettle with that and all is good again

As Scooby says... make sure the battery is 100% charged before attempting calibration :)

As Scooby says... make sure the battery is 100% charged before attempting calibration :)

Thanks, keeping it connected to the charger for now. Hopefully, my local dealer is not too busy and can book me in early next week.
I have tried the manual calibration as per Scooby's instruction, but still no luck.

Just my luck, the moment they announce the track season re-openning, I get my first problem with the bike. :)

Just for reference for other people:

It was a faulty throttle grip. Tried to resync the old one but it just did not want to send a signal.
From what I've been told by the shop I used, it's a common fault with a lot of models, not just s1krr.
Also, BMW refused to acknowledge that it's a common fault, even though they had the grip in stock at the dealership... Funny coincidence that.

never known the actual grip to fail tbh (twist grip sensor) (so maybe not that common?) but have heard of a few tps failing on the throttle bodies.look identical to the gear pos. sensor,essentially a rotary potentiometer

Back