Poor heat from factory grips?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoranC1

Reaction score
Had my bike out yesterday for a few hours, whilst it was quite cold and windy (10-12degrees) roughly.

Turned my heated grips on and noticed I wasn't getting a huge amount of heat from them. They sort of felt like they were on the low setting(1 dot) rather that high.(2 dots) can't say I could tell any difference if I lowered them to 1dot either.

I'd swear when I first got the bike they were alot warmer,

Are there any usual issues? I'm still under the used warranty for a month or two, but think my dealer is still closed.

If they are faulty it could be the switchgear, that?s often the culprit for these sorts of issues.

I had mine checked under warranty as they are no way as warm as my GS?s were, nevertheless they met BMW required temperature standards. Very disappointing.

Last edited:
If they are faulty it could be the switchgear, that?s often the culprit for these sorts of issues.

I assume the switchgear is fine as when I use the grips I can see it change on the dash between off and the 1-2 dots.

Noticed the same on mine... I also have a pair of Gerbing for my commute when really cold, but noticed that they are not as hot as the GS loaner I?ve had in the past.. but I have a MY 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the same issue. My dealer's saying they're fine, though I've seen in the US that RR's grips get north of 50c. Mine are luke warm at best.

I ran my bike in, in February when it was only a few degrees, my grips got that hot at times I had to turn them down

Last edited:
I had mine checked under warranty as they are no way as warm as my GS?s were, nevertheless they met BMW required temperature standards. Very disappointing.

Any ideas what figure that standard is?

my gen 3 ones were ok but i didnt ride in the winter but were only feelable on the higher setting. the gen 4 ones are too hot in comparison. my missis oxfords get a lot hotter than both.

Just measured mine using a thermometer. 40c. I have hotter showers.... ?

my gen 3 ones were ok but i didnt ride in the winter but were only feelable on the higher setting. the gen 4 ones are too hot in comparison. my missis oxfords get a lot hotter than both.

Yea I had a set of Oxford sport grips and my dad's bike currently has a versions 2 set and they are proper hot

I asked BMWUK what temp they should get up to. Approx 45c is what they reckon.

Was using my bike for commuting last week as I've returned to work. I changed my gloves from RST track tec evo 3 to just the old track tech evo 1 and they felt a million times warmer. So I think they're really glove dependant

Back