Cracked wheels

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I?d have to agree with you on the paint quality I?m on my 4th rr I?ve had one of every generation and I think they have cut back on some of the quality to hit a price point for the dealers almost created the bike then reverse engineered it to get the margins and prices they need.
I think the paint quality on the gen4 is pretty poor compared the the others and very thinly coated. Mine is chipping very easily and even down the the graphics on the fairings not being clear coated in I think it?s a little poor for the price you pay, but with the qty Bmw paint it prob saves them XYZ amount a year which is all they want.

Robots spray the bikes so the paint thickness would be uniform ,its more likely to be going to a water based paint system which isnt as durable
Ive watched this thread with interest I think you have been extremely patient ,I could afford a Gen4 but the problems ive seen from owners put me off
Bollax to brand loyalty they are getting my hard earned cash and what I buy needs to be right ,you have been extremely patient and deserve better

I?d have to agree with you on the paint quality I?m on my 4th rr I?ve had one of every generation and I think they have cut back on some of the quality to hit a price point for the dealers almost created the bike then reverse engineered it to get the margins and prices they need.
I think the paint quality on the gen4 is pretty poor compared the the others and very thinly coated. Mine is chipping very easily and even down the the graphics on the fairings not being clear coated in I think it?s a little poor for the price you pay, but with the qty Bmw paint it prob saves them XYZ amount a year which is all they want.

100% mate. Mines is chipped at the front and the tail unit is all scuffed from my boots but I did manage to polish most of the scuff marks out.
There was no paint protection film available for them last year when I got it and it?s too late to fit it now.

If you look at bits and pieces like the bracket for the exhaust servo for instance, it?s just cheap and nasty but of course they had to cut costs somewhere.

Can?t help but feel that another couple of grand on the bike wouldn?t have made much different in terms of competition given the R1M is ?22k and you get magnesium wheels carbon bodywork and an aluminium tank. The new Blade is over ?20k and if I?m not wrong the ZX10RR is ?20k.

If BMW had spent a little more and put the price up it would?ve been in the same bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers guys. The bike is brilliant when it?s not in the dealers and if I didn?t love riding it then of course I?d have made more of a fuss for replacement but I do actually like the bike.

At the same time I don?t want to have my pants pulled down either.

Robots spray the bikes so the paint thickness would be uniform ,its more likely to be going to a water based paint system which isnt as durable

I understand this but my 2018 would have been painted in the same way and I rode that for 2 years with 3 chips, I?ve got about 5 already on the new one in 800 miles with 3 in the first 100 miles.
They have probably got more advanced machines spraying now and if they cut 1 or 2 microns off the thickness of everything they paint it saves the brand a considerable amount of money over the year.

Maybe you should go back through the posts then cause you?re very wrong.
I?ve had nothing but praise and good words to say about the supplying dealer I bought the bike from and my issue has always been with your beloved BMW. You?re another one of many on here that won?t have a bad word said about BMW when frankly they?ve made a complete arse of the Gen 4 from the launch right up to now and resolving the issues with the bikes. I find people like you that defend brands as you do quite embarrassing and cringeworthy especially when the brand in question is in the wrong.

As far as changing back to Ducati goes, why should I be out of pocket for what would likely be another ?6-7k on top of what I?ve already paid BMW in the first instance to change a bike that isn?t up to standard?

Yes Ducati have their issues, as do the others like Yamaha etc but at least they addressed their issues and recalled the bikes.
There?s 2 recalls on the gen 4 - 1 for an oil cooler and 1 for a software update, yet we all know that the early bikes are having more issues than that.
Won?t be that if someone is injured due to a wheel failing, which is happening yet there?s been no recall.

I notice that the people defending BMW in this instance aren?t having the same issues that I?ve had...funny that isn?t it. Would be interesting to see others reactions if the shoe was on the other foot.

IVE SAID IT MANY TIMES ALREADY BUT JUST FOR YOU BAZ, THIS IS A BMW ISSUE AND NOT A DEALER ISSUE.

Maybe try taking your head out the sand and see past the BMW brand for a bit and realise that the early gen 4s are dogs. One of the members on here that had the first bike we know about has already had his replaced.

Whilst I too accept BMW have made a complete arse of the Gen4,having ridden most of the RR,s competitors it is still,in my opinion,the best bike out there and,compared to the others,good value for money.

As for your comments "beloved BMW","you're another one on here"(you know nothing about me),"I find people like you","embarrassing and cringeworthy"-I don't give a shit about your opinion
and likewise,I cannot be bothered to broadcast my opinion and views about you.

I still consider myself lucky to receive a bike in July(thanks to BMW UK) when my scheduled delivery date was moved to November.

I have had numerous issues with my Gen4,all of which were immediately corrected by my dealer and BMW(apart from the replacement forks,which was a supply problem).
Perhaps it's the way I chose to deal with them.

I am not a BMW fanboy,I love my RR,s having had Gen1 light crank(one of the first),Gen1 heavy crank,Gen2,HP4 carbon,two Gen3,s and now Gen4.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion,however,I am now bored of yours so I will re-bury my head in the sand.

You can say what you like about me as I can't be bothered to waste my time reading any more of your posts.

I'm out of here-have a nice day.

Whilst I too accept BMW have made a complete arse of the Gen4,having ridden most of the RR,s competitors it is still,in my opinion,the best bike out there and,compared to the others,good value for money.

As for your comments "beloved BMW","you're another one on here"(you know nothing about me),"I find people like you","embarrassing and cringeworthy"-I don't give a shit about your opinion
and likewise,I cannot be bothered to broadcast my opinion and views about you.

I still consider myself lucky to receive a bike in July(thanks to BMW UK) when my scheduled delivery date was moved to November.

I have had numerous issues with my Gen4,all of which were immediately corrected by my dealer and BMW(apart from the replacement forks,which was a supply problem).
Perhaps it's the way I chose to deal with them.

I am not a BMW fanboy,I love my RR,s having had Gen1 light crank(one of the first),Gen1 heavy crank,Gen2,HP4 carbon,two Gen3,s and now Gen4.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion,however,I am now bored of yours so I will re-bury my head in the sand.

You can say what you like about me as I can't be bothered to waste my time reading any more of your posts.

I'm out of here-have a nice day.

Great to hear. We can now continue to have a sensible conversation that doesn't involve your biased opinion.

Don't let the door smack your arse on the way out...cheers!

100% mate. Mines is chipped at the front and the tail unit is all scuffed from my boots but I did manage to polish most of the scuff marks out.
There was no paint protection film available for them last year when I got it and it?s too late to fit it now.

If you look at bits and pieces like the bracket for the exhaust servo for instance, it?s just cheap and nasty but of course they had to cut costs somewhere.

Can?t help but feel that another couple of grand on the bike wouldn?t have made much different in terms of competition given the R1M is ?22k and you get magnesium wheels carbon bodywork and an aluminium tank. The new Blade is over ?20k and if I?m not wrong the ZX10RR is ?20k.

If BMW had spent a little more and put the price up it would?ve been in the same bracket.

I agree with you but if you look how much a new one was back in 2017 when they launched the gen3 i think I paid about 15k it would have been a big jump to 21/22k for the new one and they would have been slated for a massive price hike.
It?s not a nice position or feeling you are in with your bike and I completely see where you are coming from, I honestly don?t know what I?d be doing with it in your situation but I do hope you get it sorted soon.

I agree with you but if you look how much a new one was back in 2017 when they launched the gen3 i think I paid about 15k it would have been a big jump to 21/22k for the new one and they would have been slated for a massive price hike.
It?s not a nice position or feeling you are in with your bike and I completely see where you are coming from, I honestly don?t know what I?d be doing with it in your situation but I do hope you get it sorted soon.

When the R1M came out in 2015 I think that was around the 18k mark if I remember right.

There's absolutely no doubt that the BMW is the best value bike on the market but they have had to cut corners and save money in areas and those areas are on the finishes. That being said, if it was just a case of a lower standard of finish and some cheap looking brackets then I doubt there would be many complaints after people actually rode the bike as it is one of the best if not the best sportsbike available. It's the constant mechanical failures/issues that are the issue and now the loss of faith that has me wondering if the next failure will cause injury.

Ever since I purchased my first BMW bike, an R100s in 1978 apart from my 2nd gen Boxer Cup as against cars the quality has gone downhill, and still appears to be declining. My Gen 3 RR appears to be bucking the trend however?

Ever since I purchased my first BMW bike, an R100s in 1978 apart from my 2nd gen Boxer Cup as against cars the quality has gone downhill, and still appears to be declining. My Gen 3 RR appears to be bucking the trend however?

The general consensus is that the Gen 3 is the best of the RRs but I?d beg to differ when the gen 4 is working properly. Nothing wrong at all with a Gen 3 either though

That video I?ve just posted is going to cause a right shit storm for BMW if that wheel fails especially after his closing statements.

He's actually in the States.

It was me that mentioned the Gen 4 wheel issue to him after seeing the various problems on here...........and when he checked his bike, his was the same. Can't believe BMW NA hace washed their hands of it.

Yeah I was talking to him on Facebook a few days ago.
I?m sure he bought the bike in the Netherlands and has had it shipped over to the states. He told me that it was the first in his dealership in Holland.

I?m sure he bought the bike in the Netherlands and has had it shipped over to the states. He told me that it was the first in his dealership in Holland.

It might have even been after your wheel thread that I mentioned it to him - I said something like "you'll get that sorted no problem...................."

he should go and sue them in the US, its pretty easy there

he should go and sue them in the US, its pretty easy there

At the moment they are telling him it's safe to ride, it's purely cosmetic and that's the end of it. I would have thought a company in the states would be more risk adverse but obviously not.............

At the moment they are telling him it's safe to ride, it's purely cosmetic and that's the end of it. I would have thought a company in the states would be more risk adverse but obviously not.............

Thing is that he has a report from an ultrasonic test that states that it's not safe to use

Thing is that he has a report from an ultrasonic test that states that it's not safe to use

I thought that would change their mind but they're not interested...........I amazed that the exact same issue is being dealt with so differently between there and here.

Back