Cracked wheels

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im sure youve all ready said somewhere. when was the production date for your bike? seen cracked wheels before and wondered if it had been sorted yet. :(

Mines was a really early bike. I got it in June last year. I only know of 2 other bikes that were delivered before mines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only if you?re under 50, or have a private chiropractor, same for the rsv4! The BMW is the only viable option for those of us who are not at our peaks physically!
I?d have gone with the rsv4 no question, until I actually tried one and had to be helped off it. I?d still have one for track duty, but most of the $$$ spent on bikes is spent by the older guys, hence the S1 success I think.

Agree, R1 & ZX10 not comfortable for road riding particulary if you're tall and or old and fat, there's a reason why supernakeds are becoming very popular road bikes for the over 50's.... when's a new S1000R coming out?

Agree, R1 & ZX10 not comfortable for road riding particulary if you're tall and or old and fat, there's a reason why supernakeds are becoming very popular road bikes for the over 50's.... when's a new S1000R coming out?

I?ve just sold my Tuono a few months ago and I didn?t find it any more comfortable than a sportsbike. It was a great bike but was hard work on the neck anything over 80mph

You guys with the M Sports might want to check your carbon wheels.

Got my bike back yesterday after having the brake caliper leak sorted and went a short run.

Took it out the garage this morning to wash it and found this.

9665520e0296e2b354e435d40cfdc713.jpg

f3a75d55ec4823bff33f7d56dabdbbd8.jpg

c27745250c147e2b5f71c2c80b8d9cf1.jpg

It?s difficult to tell from the pictures but the cracks are deep, looks much deeper than the lacquer.

the fact ur dealer handed back the back in state is concerning.... you mention cars but most dealers do a complimentary health check on the vehicles. Very alarming that this wasn?t picked up by them. What if you had an off on the ride home?

Surprised at that ,I find it OK up to 100mph, don't go over that much on the road nowadays as have too much to lose if caught. I'd have thought a Streetfighter V4S would have been right up your street?

Last edited:
Surprised at that ,I find it OK up to 100mph, don't go over that much on the road nowadays as have too much to lose if caught. I'd have thought a Streetfighter V4S would have been right up your street?

Imagine hitting a pot hole. This is from the US forum:

20200502_004251-jpg.210985

crater-jpg.210986

Looks like a bloody crater BBB, you'd buckle a wheel on a tractor going down that.

the fact ur dealer handed back the back in state is concerning.... you mention cars but most dealers do a complimentary health check on the vehicles. Very alarming that this wasn?t picked up by them. What if you had an off on the ride home?

I picked the bike up in a van and done 70 miles on it yesterday.

Nothing to say it didn?t happen yesterday and I?m firm believer in not shooting the guys that have bent over backwards to help me from day 1

BMW will replace the wheel with no agro.It is not structural,purely cosmetic.It is the way those wheels were made with the final carbon fibre not laid across the spokes.However,it is unacceptable on a 20k bike.
I have had a rear wheel replaced(june '19 build) and after 1000 track miles it has no problems.

To be honest I suspect manufacturing brake calipers and carbon wheels hasn't been too high on anyone's agenda in Germany. There are going be parts shortages for all manufacturers of new bike for months ahead. I'm just looking forward to when I'm legally allowed to ride mine. Expect a long wait for any new bike not made in China or mainland Japan.

I can?t believe BMW have got the build issues so bad on the Gen 4. What dealership are you dealing with and how are they treating you? PM if you prefer.

Sorry to hear this OP, you?re not having much luck are you with this bike. I?m not surprised you?re wanting to get rid after the brakes saga as well :(

In my humble opinion, Carbon wheels are completely unnecessary for a road bike, especially on our rubbish UK roads. I had heard quite a few people complaining about cracked carbon wheels in the US too.

I?ve had bad experience with Carbon on my M4, went into Leeds to visit family, got into a road I didn?t know and had to drive over some massive speed humps, no choice as had cars behind me. Ended up scratching and cracking my front carbon splitter, cost me ?900 to replace. And then a friend of mine on his 6 months old M3 had cracks in his carbon roof, ended up having to have it re-skinned and in the process they damaged his car.

So for me, when I was deciding on getting a Gen 4, I knew I didn?t want the headache of carbon wheels as I?d be constantly worried about them if I accidentally hit a pot hole rather than enjoying my ride. Personally, I think the forged wheels are a better alternative for the road, hardly any weight difference I believe too. Even for track, seems some people want to change to forged for greater reliability.

To be honest I suspect manufacturing brake calipers and carbon wheels hasn't been too high on anyone's agenda in Germany. There are going be parts shortages for all manufacturers of new bike for months ahead. I'm just looking forward to when I'm legally allowed to ride mine. Expect a long wait for any new bike not made in China or mainland Japan.

Didn?t think it would be long before someone used the Covid excuse. That?s what bmw are hiding behind as well.
Let?s not forget that they?ve only been closed 2 weeks and they?ve known about the brake issues much much longer. They?re using the same calipers with the same issues on the GS

I can?t believe BMW have got the build issues so bad on the Gen 4. What dealership are you dealing with and how are they treating you? PM if you prefer.

Douglas Park in East Kilbride, can?t do enough for you. Best customer service I?ve seen

BMW will replace the wheel with no agro.It is not structural,purely cosmetic.It is the way those wheels were made with the final carbon fibre not laid across the spokes.However,it is unacceptable on a 20k bike.
I have had a rear wheel replaced(june '19 build) and after 1000 track miles it has no problems.

Baz how do you know it?s not structural?

I picked the bike up in a van and done 70 miles on it yesterday.

Nothing to say it didn?t happen yesterday and I?m firm believer in not shooting the guys that have bent over backwards to help me from day 1

Wasnt aware of the van..lol Well if they have bent over backwards at this rate they would have done a full circle on this bike....

Hope you get the wheels sorted soon mate.

Last edited:
Back