Cracked wheels

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I?ve got more issues with my bike again and the dealers now trying to get them sorted with BMW. The paints coming off the frame and the subframe and the bikes only done 2k miles. Can?t see bmw changing the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it is a bmw issue but if you have a good dealer they can help the warranty claim or just not be arsed and say no.. thay op picture has taken a big blow is you lood at mark on tyre. i recon its hit a curb,looking at the mark.
This was my point. Dealer can either help or hinder.

- Alex

BMW should be recalling all the early bikes that they know have he all these issues and be replacing them now that the issues that were present in the early production bikes seem to have been resolved.

There?s no way in the world I can keep this bike beyond the warranty period but it?s up to bmw if I replace it with another bmw or I leave the brand completely

Someone I know from another forum - who lives in the States - has the cracked wheel issue and BMW are saying it's cosmetic and basically "jog on".

BMW should be recalling all the early bikes that they know have he all these issues and be replacing them now that the issues that were present in the early production bikes seem to have been resolved.

There?s no way in the world I can keep this bike beyond the warranty period but it?s up to bmw if I replace it with another bmw or I leave the brand completely

So what are they supposed to do,recall and replace parts regardless of whether those bikes have faults or not?
As far as I am aware,not all bikes have wheel,forks,paint,caliper problems etc.
Surely,the logical way is for individual bikes with a problem to have faults rectified by the dealer,as and when(or if)they arise.Funnily enough,that's what a warranty is for!

Someone I know from another forum - who lives in the States - has the cracked wheel issue and BMW are saying it's cosmetic and basically "jog on".

If that were the case,I would insist they supplied an independent analysis report and,as it's cosmetic,presumably all paintwork is not covered either!
Cosmetic cracks are still not acceptable on a top of the range motorcycle.

There's not one re call yet which bmw don't seem to do. Thereby admitting there's a problem. So far I've had a new oil cooler and calipers. Neither time was I contacted by a dealer or BMW. Ive had to almost go crying cap in hand to get things sorted.
I love the bike and it is intended to be my last as im 57 so seeing my trackdaying out hopefully the next ten years.
Will it hold up, will I still want to if it becomes anymore troublesome.
Time will tell.

So what are they supposed to do,recall and replace parts regardless of whether those bikes have faults or not?
As far as I am aware,not all bikes have wheel,forks,paint,caliper problems etc.
Surely,the logical way is for individual bikes with a problem to have faults rectified by the dealer,as and when(or if)they arise.Funnily enough,that's what a warranty is for!

The warranty may well be for that, but there becomes a point where enough is enough and BMW should be doing more. It's a joke and I'm not arsed how defensive you all get on here about BMW as you don't seem shy in defending them even though I'm sure of you had the issues I've had with a new bike you'd be feeling exactly like me.
Every time I look at my bike or the dealer looks at it there's a new issue. Regardless of what the "experts" on here think, the bike just isn't first for purpose.

Never had any issues like this with Ducati

Just hope that it doesn't take someone to end up injured on one of these early Gen 4 bikes before BMW take notice of the bigger issues that are stake here.

There's not one re call yet which bmw don't seem to do. Thereby admitting there's a problem. So far I've had a new oil cooler and calipers. Neither time was I contacted by a dealer or BMW. Ive had to almost go crying cap in hand to get things sorted.
I love the bike and it is intended to be my last as im 57 so seeing my trackdaying out hopefully the next ten years.
Will it hold up, will I still want to if it becomes anymore troublesome.
Time will tell.

There is one recall mate - the oil cooler was a recall and I got a letter

Imagine hitting a pot hole. This is from the US forum:

20200502_004251-jpg.210985

crater-jpg.210986
Wonder if this guy tried the warranty route? [emoji848]

- Alex

Picked my bike up this afternoon and both front and rear wheels have been replaced under warranty. Hopefully the weather will be as nice as they say it's going to be tomorrow and I'll get out for a run.
Here you state the wheels were replaced, has something happened since?

- Alex

What?s the bigger issues Rob, flaking paint I doubt would be classed as a bigger dangerous issue?

Daz

Obviously not.

There's been issues with cooler hose crimps failing and spraying oil onto the rear tyre, brake seals/calipers leaking fluid and wheels cracking. I'd say that these were serious enough.

Who knows what's going to fail on these early bikes next. I was told yesterday that my fork seal isn't leaking it's only the assemble grease. The dust seal was removed and the mechanic showed me the oil seal which appeared to be dry. By the time I'd done the 30 mile return journey home, the stantion was wet again.

Given the seriousness of the failures already, I don't think I can be blamed for being a bit apprehensive riding it and wondering if the next failure will be the one that causes me injury.

Here you state the wheels were replaced, has something happened since?

- Alex

Leaking fork now and the paints coming off the main frame and subframe. Already been told that it's unlikely that the frame will be replaced or painted. Bikes only done 2000 miles so what kind of mess will it be in when the warranty expires in just over 2 years?

Are there any other gen 4 owners with paint coming off the frame? Sport or m sport models.

Back