Cracked wheels

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I?d have been claiming for a refund ages ago. Carson, you?re one patient customer!

From purely a paint point of view, the front will always be subject to chipping. Doesn't matter how much the thickness is, a projectile travelling in excess of 30mph will ALWAYS leave a mark and usually deep. Stickier the tyre, more it will fling up. On road or track, following someone will increase the risk. Personally, on road I follow off line, cars I follow mid tyres. Frames around the boot area will always be subject to wear depending on how foot position is, the rough finish on the frame(not paint) has highs and lows, obviously the highs will take the brunt of wear. Bike I have is terrible for that and necessitated applying an extra protective system. Boot damage/scuffs needs to be damage limitation. A race replica is what it is.....

Last edited:
Robots spray the bikes so the paint thickness would be uniform ,its more likely to be going to a water based paint system which isnt as durable
I'm convinced even flies are chipping my paint lol... 1400 miles on mine now and only 140 of those with other riders and I've got lots of very light stone chips. Wish I'd got paint protection now but never had any real problems with chips on any of my other bikes so didn't bother. Small price to pay though, love the bike.

I understand this but my 2018 would have been painted in the same way and I rode that for 2 years with 3 chips, I?ve got about 5 already on the new one in 800 miles with 3 in the first 100 miles.
They have probably got more advanced machines spraying now and if they cut 1 or 2 microns off the thickness of everything they paint it saves the brand a considerable amount of money over the year.

I'm convinced even flies are chipping my paint lol... 1400 miles on mine now and only 140 of those with other riders and I've got lots of very light stone chips. Wish I'd got paint protection now but never had any real problems with chips on any of my other bikes so didn't bother,maybe they just stand out more on the red of the sport. Small price to pay though, love the bike.

I'm convinced even flies are chipping my paint lol... 1400 miles on mine now and only 140 of those with other riders and I've got lots of very light stone chips. Wish I'd got paint protection now but never had any real problems with chips on any of my other bikes so didn't bother,maybe they just stand out more on the red of the sport. Small price to pay though, love the bike.

The M sports are the same. I think it?s just down to the thickness/hardness of the paint that?s being used on all of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You love it really................:friendly_wink:
You know it

I might have been optically defective when I married the wife, but I won?t be so blinded by stupidity that I?ll be buying a BMW again.

Last edited:
You know it

I might have been optically defective when I married the wife, but I won?t be so blinded by stupidity that I?ll be buying a BMW again.

You know my opinion of all this - awful customer service.

This thread was about cracked wheels around the spokes. Know defect, well documented.

Pot hole or other damage is irrelevant and not a defect in the product.

Dealers should warranty replace the ones with damage around the spokes where the known early versions had quality control issues.

This forum is for *constructive* conversation. Whilst that can include issues I think this is past useful debate, its just flinging mud at BMW/ Dealers in equal measure.

I think we all appreciate that spending a lot of money on a new bike should result in a awesome product. Its not acceptable how many issues the Gen4 had out of the gate. But what are we gaining by going over and over it?

I'm not locking the thread because I don't want accusations of being a nazi moderator. But I don't see the point in continuing as its all a bit depressing for all of us.

The issue is documented, lets move on.

- Alex

Change the thread title...simples

There?s plenty of serious discussion in the thread relating to all sorts of Gen 4 issues.

It?s wrong to only allow opinions which favour BMW and make the brand look good when it?s not always the case.

People use open forums to decide if they?ll buy a product and it?s not always fair to paint a rosey picture if that?s not the case.

I seem to remember similar issues on here with a certain person/company that was flashing ECUs and all talk of them was banned because it wasn?t positive towards him.

Not everyone has the same opinion and if people are only allowed to comment on what they see as good without being able to express their views as they see them then what?s the point in participating in a forum? There?s been nothing said in this thread that isn?t true and many people have expressed the same views towards BMW. I don?t remember any dealers being slated though I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Carsonr6
The issue isn?t that negative feedback isn?t allowed, @alex has simply stated that the issues have been raised and enough has been said about them. This thread is just going round in circles.

With regard to Hilltop motorcycles the reason we didn?t allow discussion on the matter has been well documented in the linked thread (see below). The forum took a perfectly reasonable position given the circumstances.
The forum now allows discussion on Hilltops services, both positive and crucially, negative feedback, as is well documented online ...

https://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthre...nt-discuss-their-services&p=107245#post107245

Last edited:
No he was banned for threatening legal action because people were not complimentary.

- Alex

Sorry, what I meant was there not a blanket ban put over all discussions against him or the company? Seems to be the same sort of view towards anyone that has anything to say against BMW and that's not just in this thread it throughout the forum.

I get that it's a BMW forum but we (most of us) still live in the real world and if we can't express our feelings for a BMW product on a BMW based forum then where can we?

This thread was about cracked wheels around the spokes. Know defect, well documented.

Pot hole or other damage is irrelevant and not a defect in the product.

Dealers should warranty replace the ones with damage around the spokes where the known early versions had quality control issues.

This forum is for *constructive* conversation. Whilst that can include issues I think this is past useful debate, its just flinging mud at BMW/ Dealers in equal measure.

I think we all appreciate that spending a lot of money on a new bike should result in a awesome product. Its not acceptable how many issues the Gen4 had out of the gate. But what are we gaining by going over and over it?

I'm not locking the thread because I don't want accusations of being a nazi moderator. But I don't see the point in continuing as its all a bit depressing for all of us.

The issue is documented, lets move on.

- Alex

I think the biggest suprise for me is the polar opposite way the BMW NA and BMW UK / Europe have dealt with this. From what I've read on here, people in the uk have had their wheels changed without much of a problem?

I think the biggest suprise for me is the polar opposite way the BMW NA and BMW UK / Europe have dealt with this. From what I've read on here, people in the uk have had their wheels changed without much of a problem?

Exactly. But 137 posts into this thread you might think otherwise.

My clutch cable was defect and I had leaking calipers both were fixed by a dealer with 0 cost to me. I don't have any complains.

Didn't have oem forks long enough to leak, oil cooler was replaced by BMW UK before delivery and I didn't order CF wheels, because any CF wheels suck.

All in all, I don't have much beef on BMW.

Sorry, what I meant was there not a blanket ban put over all discussions against him or the company? Seems to be the same sort of view towards anyone that has anything to say against BMW and that's not just in this thread it throughout the forum.

I get that it's a BMW forum but we (most of us) still live in the real world and if we can't express our feelings for a BMW product on a BMW based forum then where can we?
Tuners wanting to sue a forum because members of said forum are trash talking him is a different subject, please leave it out.

- Alex

Back