Cracked wheels

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The warranty may well be for that, but there becomes a point where enough is enough and BMW should be doing more. It's a joke and I'm not arsed how defensive you all get on here about BMW as you don't seem shy in defending them even though I'm sure of you had the issues I've had with a new bike you'd be feeling exactly like me.
Every time I look at my bike or the dealer looks at it there's a new issue. Regardless of what the "experts" on here think, the bike just isn't first for purpose.

Never had any issues like this with Ducati

Without looking through your previous posts,I don't remember you having a good word to say about BMW or any of the dealers.I'm surprised you've still got the bike and not gone back to Ducati-after all,they never have problems,do they!

Without looking through your previous posts,I don't remember you having a good word to say about BMW or any of the dealers.I'm surprised you've still got the bike and not gone back to Ducati-after all,they never have problems,do they!

Maybe you should go back through the posts then cause you?re very wrong.
I?ve had nothing but praise and good words to say about the supplying dealer I bought the bike from and my issue has always been with your beloved BMW. You?re another one of many on here that won?t have a bad word said about BMW when frankly they?ve made a complete arse of the Gen 4 from the launch right up to now and resolving the issues with the bikes. I find people like you that defend brands as you do quite embarrassing and cringeworthy especially when the brand in question is in the wrong.

As far as changing back to Ducati goes, why should I be out of pocket for what would likely be another ?6-7k on top of what I?ve already paid BMW in the first instance to change a bike that isn?t up to standard?

Yes Ducati have their issues, as do the others like Yamaha etc but at least they addressed their issues and recalled the bikes.
There?s 2 recalls on the gen 4 - 1 for an oil cooler and 1 for a software update, yet we all know that the early bikes are having more issues than that.
Won?t be that if someone is injured due to a wheel failing, which is happening yet there?s been no recall.

I notice that the people defending BMW in this instance aren?t having the same issues that I?ve had...funny that isn?t it. Would be interesting to see others reactions if the shoe was on the other foot.

IVE SAID IT MANY TIMES ALREADY BUT JUST FOR YOU BAZ, THIS IS A BMW ISSUE AND NOT A DEALER ISSUE.

Maybe try taking your head out the sand and see past the BMW brand for a bit and realise that the early gen 4s are dogs. One of the members on here that had the first bike we know about has already had his replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IVE SAID IT MANY TIMES ALREADY BUT JUST FOR YOU BAZ, THIS IS A BMW ISSUE AND NOT A DEALER ISSUE.

Maybe try taking your head out the sand and see past the BMW brand for a bit and realise that the early gen 4s are dogs. One of the members on here that had the first bike we know about has already had his replaced.

Did you ask for a replacement? Reject your bike? Can't remember. If not, why not?

Baz has had a cracked carbon rim (first one on here), knocking fork, leaking brakes. I don't think your bitchy statement holds water that his head is in the sand. He's just better at dealing with it.

Did you ask for a replacement? Reject your bike? Can't remember. If not, why not?

Baz has had a cracked carbon rim (first one on here), knocking fork, leaking brakes. I don't think your bitchy statement holds water that his head is in the sand. He's just better at dealing with it.

And why do you feel the need to get involved Mr Knowitall?

It's only recently that I started commenting on the issues I've had with the bike which started almost right away.

The reason I didn't comment much on it was because right from the start when I ordered my bike I started to get shitty remarks from certain members on here (that still continue from the same members) and I thought it's not worth the hassle.
The reason I've been more vocal about them lately is because BMW have failed to address the issues that I was having.

It's a shame that some of the more active members on here behave the way they do at times because there are some good guys on here and good help that is overshadowed by certain members attitudes at times when they don't like or agree with something against their beloved brand.

He has always been saying good words about the dealers.

It's BMW ag that really fu?ked up this bike.

I feel sorry for you Carson, the amount of trouble you've had is unreal, not sure if you ended up with a Friday bike but given issues others have had around the World, I have to agree that it is just not acceptable on a premium flagship ?20k bike. People don't expect this on a ?5k Royal Enfield, let alone a BMW S1000RR. I'm a BMW fanboy myself, had quite a few M cars and currently have an M4 Comp, on my third S1000RR and my second car is a 5 Series Touring as we have a big GSD. The point I'm trying to make is, even with my love for the brand I have to admit the Gen 4 seems to have the worst teething issues of them all it seems, and hence the frustrations from customers. We're all different and have different expectations, but I think I'd be equally as pissed as you if it were my bike.

I am not convinced the bike you bought was straight from factory new off the production line. Maybe a preproduction bike that got refurbed? There must be a way of checking this.

It always striked me as a little odd that you could walk into your dealer and get the new gen 4 without being on a waiting list, before anyone else in the uk, before most dealers had their deliveries confirmed, with a discount. My dealer is the largest bmw bike dealer in the uk by some margin and they were surprised when I asked why myself, and everyone else I knew of, was waiting on their bikes for months with nothing in dealer stock or demo, but up in Scotland a bike had been delivered to a customer. Very unusual. Noxx also had a load of grief with his bike and it also was delivered to him very, very early. Bit of a pattern.

I feel sorry for you Carson, the amount of trouble you've had is unreal, not sure if you ended up with a Friday bike but given issues others have had around the World, I have to agree that it is just not acceptable on a premium flagship ?20k bike. People don't expect this on a ?5k Royal Enfield, let alone a BMW S1000RR. I'm a BMW fanboy myself, had quite a few M cars and currently have an M4 Comp, on my third S1000RR and my second car is a 5 Series Touring as we have a big GSD. The point I'm trying to make is, even with my love for the brand I have to admit the Gen 4 seems to have the worst teething issues of them all it seems, and hence the frustrations from customers. We're all different and have different expectations, but I think I'd be equally as pissed as you if it were my bike.

Hi Schuey,

I?m the same, I?ve had BMWs since I was 19 - 3 M3s in that time a couple of X5s (currently the Mrs has an 18 month old one we bought new) and various other BMWs etc...
I?m not blinded by the badge though. I?ve been loyal to dealerships that have served me well and even changed dealership when their M division manager moved because the service from the guy was unreal.

I?ve had nearly every issue reported with the Gen 4 happen on this bike, think the only one I?ve not had is the neutral problem so yes my patients is wearing thin, but it?s with BMW and not the dealer.
Douglas Park have been outstanding, as they have been from day one. Dealer can?t do much if BMW tell them no.

Funny enough this wouldn?t stop me buying another gen 4 as I do believe the early issues have been resolved in the new batch of bikes and I actually enquires about a new Sport with performance pack when I was in on Wednesday. I just need to sell another bike I own before I decide what to do.

Obviously BMW know the issues with the early Gen 4s and looking at the problems I?ve had with mines they should replace it. I?m waiting for a response on the paint wearing from the frame and subframe along with the fork seal issue now present before I decide the next step.

I just wonder if others would?ve been so patient had they been in the same situation. It?s nearly a year old now after all and the issues started with BMW long before the bike was even delivered when they started messing everyone around with delivery dates.

I am not convinced the bike you bought was straight from factory new off the production line. Maybe a preproduction bike that got refurbed? There must be a way of checking this.

It always striked me as a little odd that you could walk into your dealer and get the new gen 4 without being on a waiting list, before anyone else in the uk, before most dealers had their deliveries confirmed, with a discount. My dealer is the largest bmw bike dealer in the uk by some margin and they were surprised when I asked why myself, and everyone else I knew of, was waiting on their bikes for months with nothing in dealer stock or demo, but up in Scotland a bike had been delivered to a customer. Very unusual. Noxx also had a load of grief with his bike and it also was delivered to him very, very early. Bit of a pattern.

I waited 3 months for my bike

Hi Schuey,

I?m the same, I?ve had BMWs since I was 19 - 3 M3s in that time a couple of X5s (currently the Mrs has an 18 month old one we bought new) and various other BMWs etc...
I?m not blinded by the badge though. I?ve been loyal to dealerships that have served me well and even changed dealership when their M division manager moved because the service from the guy was unreal.

I?ve had nearly every issue reported with the Gen 4 happen on this bike, think the only one I?ve not had is the neutral problem so yes my patients is wearing thin, but it?s with BMW and not the dealer.
Douglas Park have been outstanding, as they have been from day one. Dealer can?t do much if BMW tell them no.

Funny enough this wouldn?t stop me buying another gen 4 as I do believe the early issues have been resolved in the new batch of bikes and I actually enquires about a new Sport with performance pack when I was in on Wednesday. I just need to sell another bike I own before I decide what to do.

Obviously BMW know the issues with the early Gen 4s and looking at the problems I?ve had with mines they should replace it. I?m waiting for a response on the paint wearing from the frame and subframe along with the fork seal issue now present before I decide the next step.

I just wonder if others would?ve been so patient had they been in the same situation. It?s nearly a year old now after all and the issues started with BMW long before the bike was even delivered when they started messing everyone around with delivery dates.

Also if you can remember back to when I ordered it, I was promised the bike by a certain date which the dealer complied with. I was scoffed at on here when I said I was promised delivery by the end of June.

The dealer was made aware that I needed a new bike before the end of June or I was buying something else.

I had a 2008 R1 with a black paint that was a track bike and was in and out the back of a van more than anyone and the paint wasn?t worn off the frame

Maybe a process has changed with what the brands are doing. My 2009 mv agusta f800 started to show signs.
Mine are all track bikes, and sidi boots are worn. I don't ride on the road other than running in.

Last edited:
Maybe a process has changed with what the brands are doing. My 2009 mv agusta f800 started to show signs.
Mine are all track bikes, and sidi boots are worn. I don't ride on the road other than running in.

To be honest if I?d known it was an issue I?d have fitted the carbon covers from day one

c1248aceb9372b01cd978af454e85a50.jpg

df3e2c8ca149699a6983cee5ae30d429.jpg

13cd2402c89d95db9110c26b674c6454.jpg

bafcc52e88e394c2a946a3a47be8bb3f.jpg

If this was a 10k mile bike then fair enough yeah but what?s it going to be like in 2 years when the warranties up? You?d need to be mad to keep it after the warranty expires.

Back