Over Suspension

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this the other day.
I get mass damping and I know they use it in motogp.
But just bolting a weight on to a bike not designed for it seems like a terrible idea.
I need more, real, info.

I met this guy at Donny last year by accident, he was in the garage...not seen any of his vids. He was a bit of a lean loon on the RSV4. Using way too much lean for the pace. I see he's had some big offs, wrecked carbon rims.

He's welcome to his opinion but I'd like to get John Bradley's take on it. (Author of The Racing Mororcycle).

- Alex

i understand the principals behind it,it's not new technology,which makes you wonder,if it works so easily+cheaply installed,why isn't it used at much lower levels than MGP,F1 etc?.

i understand the principals behind it,it's not new technology,which makes you wonder,if it works so easily+cheaply installed,why isn't it used at much lower levels than MGP,F1 etc?.
This is my point. Just a simple bolt on. So surely every manufacturer would fit it, if it was a simple improvement

- Alex

Last edited:
I'm sceptical, he's just says things like "look at the crash ducati salad box" but doesn't exactly outline thats what it is. Kind of just expects you to belive?

I get mass damping, most car exhausts have them fitted.

RRPS just started pushing it to with ZERO facts just more statements like the Italian Motorcycle Federation are 'making them compulsory for racers fit them'. There's no diagrams or anything slightly informative. Just names and series. You can bolt something on for one session and claim its been used.

Could at least evidence it.

- Alex

If they said it was a tunable mass damper (which is the assumption despite them claiming it isn't) and then explained how/why I would be interested.

Fwiw: https://www.supremetechnology.eu/en-gb/il-progetto-oversuspension
https://shop.supremetechnology.eu/en/p/bmw-1000rr-2015-2019

Contents of their *Technology* sub section
"We carry out our projects using the most advanced tools available: Cad for technical drawing, FEM for structural calculation, Cam as a tool for the realization of machine programs for milling and turning. Integrated data acquisition systems from particular dedicated sensors and complex mathematical models of hypotheses are in our research center and in our laboratory."

Convincing eh.

This tells about as much
"The tyre itself being "elastic spring" without control in its release of energy, after having been subjected to compression by a force, is an anomalous element which disturbs the operation of the suspension, since being integral with it and it cannot be controlled, generating abnormal resonances.

Oversuspension identifies a series of strongly unbalanced gravitational resonators that allow to contrast this phenomenon, coming in most cases to the total resolution of the anomaly, or to its strong reduction"

Clear now, right? Something, something springy tyre something.

- Alex

Stopped watching halfway through just another youtuber trying to get subscriptions and make a name for himself

WTF does this even say?

Calibration: Performing the calibration is very simple:

1. Turn the red ring towards the (sign +) until it reaches the stroke end, in this way the spring that contrasts the mass will have the minimum calculated preload and the mass will resonate to a greater amplitude and a lower frequency.

2. Use the vehicle and try to pay attention to the sensation that you feel regarding the swinging of the rear swing arm in rough terrain, entry into corners, sharp braking and travel of the bent curve.

3. Turning the red knob towards the (sign -) you will notice that the sensations that were perceived before will vary and will be more or less intense. Then rotate to the position where you will notice less oscillation of the rear and you will have a more direct feeling with the suspension.

how do you not understand that Alex? makes perfect sense to me.....;)

I am going to put some Slick 50 in my oil now. [emoji2359][emoji2359][emoji2359][emoji2359]

- Alex

WTF does this even say?

Calibration: Performing the calibration is very simple:

1. Turn the red ring towards the (sign +) until it reaches the stroke end, in this way the spring that contrasts the mass will have the minimum calculated preload and the mass will resonate to a greater amplitude and a lower frequency.

2. Use the vehicle and try to pay attention to the sensation that you feel regarding the swinging of the rear swing arm in rough terrain, entry into corners, sharp braking and travel of the bent curve.

3. Turning the red knob towards the (sign -) you will notice that the sensations that were perceived before will vary and will be more or less intense. Then rotate to the position where you will notice less oscillation of the rear and you will have a more direct feeling with the suspension.
it says im talking bollax please ignore me and turn the video off :)

This reminds of those magnetic gadgets that you put in fuel tanks to increase mpg, smells of snakeoil!
I can see how a sprung mass could possibly be used to damp out an unpleasant harmonic frequency that causes chatter, but seriously....I?m sure Ohlins and the rest can do/do do all that stuff already? I can?t see that little bit of extra mass making much difference anyway to rear ?pump? on the power at the limit of traction. I?d have thought those kinds of problems would be dialled out with damping on the shock?
Yet another example of making a buck by pulling the wool!

This reminds of those magnetic gadgets that you put in fuel tanks to increase mpg, smells of snakeoil!
I can see how a sprung mass could possibly be used to damp out an unpleasant harmonic frequency that causes chatter, but seriously....I?m sure Ohlins and the rest can do/do do all that stuff already? I can?t see that little bit of extra mass making much difference anyway to rear ?pump? on the power at the limit of traction. I?d have thought those kinds of problems would be dialled out with damping on the shock?
Yet another example of making a buck by pulling the wool!

I concur, this is ?400 you could put towards a decent shock.

I'm reading The Racing Motorcycle, pages 297+ on chatter as at 4min in the video mentions chatter. Chatter doesn't happen to most people, and whilst it can be caused by the rear it ultimately manifests at the front. So I'm trying to work out why he's talking about it before he goes on. Side note, chatter happens at about 15-20hz. Which is like trying to hold onto a pneumatic drill...

I concur, this is ?400 you could put towards a decent shock.

I'm reading The Racing Motorcycle, pages 297+ on chatter as at 4min in the video mentions chatter. Chatter doesn't happen to most people, and whilst it can be caused by the rear it ultimately manifests at the front. So I'm trying to work out why he's talking about it before he goes on. Side note, chatter happens at about 15-20hz. Which is like trying to hold onto a pneumatic drill...
In extremis, when pump occurs, you?re trying to shed a huge amount of energy, that little mass floating in springs and oil would be overwhelmed very quickly. A good sign of if it?s doing anything at all, I mean anything, would be the temperature of the device after a good work out. I bet it?s stone cold...

Back