Discharge

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up my M-Sport on Sunday March 1st .. wet, cold ride home 30 miles ... put the bike away .. got a call from Scorpian saying battery was flat .. went to the bike on Wednesday .. turned the key .. dead .. I have a small jump pack, started the bike, it was misfiring and would not idle to start with ... any way every time I go to ride the bike the battery is flat.
I have had five calls from Scorpian .. it?s getting to be a joke now as I have spoken to the same guy three times ... the last time was yesterday (Monday).
I put a call in to my selling dealer, they raised a job card but I didn?t get to take it in before lock down .. they said if it happened again then road side would come and collect the bike and drop off a loan vehicle .. little point as the dealer is shut... bit frustrating .. I?ll be asking for a free charger when it eventually does get to the dealer ...
The bike has only done 245 miles ... it must be the datatool that is discharging the battery ... we won?t know until the dealer reopens ??

I'd rip out the alarm, run over it several times, problem cured and battery will stay charged. Worked on my R1 and I won't have one on the Gen 3. Insurance companies advised and no problems there either.

I have the BMW OEM alarm on mine but not the tracker and not experienced this issue. So I suspect it is the tracker more than anything.

if it's 1 week, I'd say Tracker too. Unless you're nudging the bike and causing the alarm to go off. Always found 1-2 week drain for any bike I've had with a tracker.

So yeah Colyn, you're gonna need a trickle charger and I don't think you'll get much sympathy or freebies from a dealer for that. But do let us know!

Has anybody gone to the tracker team and asked for a reduction in the refresh rate on the tracker? I keep mentioning this helped for my tracker drain.

After experimenting with riding and using the charger, it seems to make no difference. No more than 3 days before flat.

I've got the factory tracker, no alarm. I'm told that the tracker has an internal battery of it's own. When I have found the bike completely flat, there has been no trigger to Datatool.

I reckon that's bad enough to blag a free charger, but I want a better battery.

I've used a jump pack to start then immediately disconnected it. Never had running rough issue.

I can leave my Gen 3 over the winter without a battery conditioner and it starts no problem, my car - BMW M2 can't go much more than 2 weeks without getting the low battery warning - ever since I had a Tracker fitted - they certainly seem to pull the battery charge down...?

I can leave my Gen 3 over the winter without a battery conditioner and it starts no problem, my car - BMW M2 can't go much more than 2 weeks without getting the low battery warning - ever since I had a Tracker fitted - they certainly seem to pull the battery charge down...?
Yeah and poor phone signal kills them faster

- Alex

If its the tracker hidden in the car that is the one the police track then be careful in relying on it too much, there very easy to find. I had my car stolen and they made a cut in the car under the drivers seat to pull it out. Its very easy to find, my Dad found mine 5 mins after I brought it home from fitting it.

I have the factory fit data tool tracker and no alarm on my Msport. About 1-2 weeks until I get an 11v warning. I bought a lithium battery tender and ran a tail to under the pillion seat. It sits on the charge when not in use.

I have just about the same problem - battery dead after 2 days I am told it will need to be on permanent charge. Working with dealer to resolve - suspected no faault but tracker draining battery...

I have the same problem it will last 2 days then flat. It will be due it?s first service soon and will ask the dealer if this is going to be a permanent fix on a trickle charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines prob dead just sat in the showroom waiting....might ask to see it turn over before i collect lol

Let us know how you got on with the service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
My bike was delivered mid March by dealer so had 2 miles on clock and still has 2 miles on clock :) however after I parked it in garage I went out to check it two days later and the bike was dead.
I got bmw out to look at bike and They came back saying nothing wrong with bike and battery but we have Fully charged it now.
I asked if it was the tracker and they said no as it does not draw that much power to make the battery go flat in such a short time.
I then said ok and parked the bike back in its spot to go back 4 days later and it?s flat again .
This time I am told after they have came out and charged battery was to buy a charger and keep it plugged in due to that it?s not been used yet.
I have done this but looks like the tracker does take a lot out of the battery and sounds like it?s a common thing with the trackers .
Also in the manual is a section saying About battery must be Kept in good condition which makes me think bmw know that the battery?s go flat if no help with chargers plugged into them after use.

Must be the tracker, mine sat for 3 months without turning a wheel, battery was fine, but I don?t have a tracker on mine

Daz

Must be the tracker, mine sat for 3 months without turning a wheel, battery was fine, but I don?t have a tracker on mine

Daz

Agree with you Daz - my M?s got no alarm or tracker and sits in the garage (formerly at 1 Deluge Drive but now moved to 19 Covid Avenue) for months (got it in July) without issue. It has however jogged my memory to stick on the trickle charger tomorrow.

Back