Discharge

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What if I?m staying somewhere for a week?
it wasn?t all that long ago that my bike was my only transport.

This is not an aftermarket alarm or the like. It?s a factory fitted tracker that wasn?t even an option. The owner?s manual says to put it on charge if it?s to be left more than 4 weeks. Something?s wrong.

Lithium batteries aren't great for the slow draw that you get on a bike fitted with a tracker/alarm. Also not good giving them a full charge; for service life it's best keeping them in the 60-80% range, but that's not something realistically possible in the real world so aim for 20-90%. Whatever you do, don't let them drain completely. Additional point: if you're starting the bike when the temperature is low, allow the battery time to warm up after switching on the bike before pressing the start button (about 10 seconds should be good).

Hi Shuey,

I see your point, and raise it with a wtf?

I bought the BMW charger at my RIS as advised. It's on it all the time. But the manual says if you leave your bike more than 4 weeks, you should consider putting it on charge.

I've been a biker all my life. I've bought the BMW lithium charger and can connect it easily enough (with the terminals I bodged myself) because I have power to my garage, but I'm used to being a daily biker and not needing to rely on a charger. It was a source of miserable reflection for me when the kids arrived, that I realised that I was no longer riding often enough to never have to think about how long a battery charge would last.

I had to think long and hard about whether to buy another sportsbike which would be, essentially, a luxury toy. I decided to pay extra for the weight-saving of a lithium battery, and then got sucked into the Sport package (I don't need forged wheels any more than anyone else, but I like the idea). I hoped to get a lighter, better, modern battery (a ?200 option without the wheels).

I should not expect a battery to last less than a week on a ?20k+ road bike, when my CBR still fires up after 3 months neglect.

What if I want actually to travel somewhere further than a tank-full on it and stay still for a week? In real life, I might not, but that's not the point.

Unfortunately your old CBR hasn?t the power drawing tech that a reasonably modern bike has. My OE alarm would flatten the battery in 10 days. They should supply a charger with the bike but they probably think the Bikelift be used each day. There?s nothing wrong.

You're probably right JM. I've made the point to the dealer that they should include a charger with the bike if that's really how it behaves (and asked them to raise a case with BMW for refunding me the cost of one!), but that doesn't alter the fact that some on here seem to do ok with the tracker/battery, and the bike's manual says 4 weeks. No alarm, just tracker as standard with no delete option.

I don't see that there's much power drawing tech when the thing is switched off; I gather the tracker even has it's own battery. 10 days is better than 5, but perhaps something is wrong with yours too...

You're probably right JM. I've made the point to the dealer that they should include a charger with the bike if that's really how it behaves (and asked them to raise a case with BMW for refunding me the cost of one!), but that doesn't alter the fact that some on here seem to do ok with the tracker/battery, and the bike's manual says 4 weeks. No alarm, just tracker as standard with no delete option.

I don't see that there's much power drawing tech when the thing is switched off; I gather the tracker even has it's own battery. 10 days is better than 5, but perhaps something is wrong with yours too...

If you?re using the bike every few days ie 2-3 days everything will be hunky dory. But none of my bikes with alarms last more than 10 days without a trickle charge no matter what make. The battery ?in? your tracker is for when your bikes battery runs out of charge and it allows a few more days to find your stolen bike. J

My lithium battery is not what I?d hoped.
It was flat when I picked it up from the dealer.
Mines prob dead just sat in the showroom waiting....might ask to see it turn over before i collect lol

I picked mine up Saturday 26th September:
  1. It was dead at the dealership.
  2. Within 15 mins it was charged up enough to start.
  3. I rode it for 6 hours on Saturday running it in (not pansy footing around). All in single carriageway and de-restricted zones (one stop for fuel).
  4. When the Optimate Lithium charger was fitted (croc clips) that evening the Optimate displayed approx 1/3 battery charge. 6 Hours of use and nearly no traffic / stopped / idle time!
  5. Again the Sunday - 3 hours of riding. Still not even a moderate charge on the battery.

Solution: Fitted Optimate lead through the battery wiring and out on the RHS near the frame work. It's going to be plugged in 24/7.
I'm very worried any Euro trip will kill the bike if it's not used within mere days..!

The Datatool is awesome however perhaps too onerous for a little sports bike battery...

Question:
After the battery has been flat once, am I to expect any adverse battery health going forward?

Hi Westy,

You feel my pain.

https://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthread.php?14293-2019-Gen4-Owners-Manual

Owner's manual pp 201-205 all about the battery, including the note "Connect a float charger to the battery if the motorcycle is to remain out of use for more than four weeks."

Deep discharge voids warranty, but mine never got below 8.8v without just turning everything off. Apparently there's a circuit to protect battery from going fully flat, but I only ever saw the 8.8v as it plummeted in seconds from around 10.5v. Still pretty deep IMHO.

It's a Euro trip that specifically worries me. I have in mind a Moto GP weekend, perhaps for Rossi's last Italian race? I will be drunk for 5 days and then the bike won't start.

I have a pocket sized jump starter. Tested a few times works well.

This isn't mine, its more expensive. But anyway these are light enough to pack for piece of mind.

And they charge a phone too if you're stuck.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313162181312

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi Westy,

You feel my pain.

https://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthread.php?14293-2019-Gen4-Owners-Manual

Owner's manual pp 201-205 all about the battery, including the note "Connect a float charger to the battery if the motorcycle is to remain out of use for more than four weeks."

Deep discharge voids warranty, but mine never got below 8.8v without just turning everything off. Apparently there's a circuit to protect battery from going fully flat, but I only ever saw the 8.8v as it plummeted in seconds from around 10.5v. Still pretty deep IMHO.

It's a Euro trip that specifically worries me. I have in mind a Moto GP weekend, perhaps for Rossi's last Italian race? I will be drunk for 5 days and then the bike won't start.

Anything under 12v is deep discharge in my book. After resting post charge it?s minimum should be 12.6V, hopefully 13-14v. Should be 14v-14.5v with the engine running. Voltage drop during engine starter cranking no lower than 10.5v. 8.8v is death to the battery if left for any period like 10 days. You maybe be lucky with a decent lithium battery charger getting it back.

One oddity to remember with lithium batteries, if it?s cold, turn the ignition on so the lights come on for 15 to 20 secs as it?ll start the bike easier. You need to get the battery active ie the lights draw some juice before it can take a big hit from the starter. Counter intuitive but you need to ?wake? them up. Sounds daft but true. J

I have a pocket sized jump starter. Tested a few times works well.

This isn't mine, its more expensive. But anyway these are light enough to pack for piece of mind.

And they charge a phone too if you're stuck.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313162181312
Swear by them... always take one with me on a euro trip. Lots out there. Amazon reviews area good way to find the latest, greatness ones. But remember it?s lithium as well. So you need to keep it charged say once a month...

Last edited by a moderator:
These battery packs are amazing, I've used one a few times on HC Diesel engines.

Never fails to impress that something so light and small can wind a 3ltr Diesel over.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The OP mentioned trips going away and his worries around that. I'm wondering what type of batteries the new GS's have? Because they do road trips with longs stays quite a lot and wondering if they're having battery issues too...

GS has a normal battery. Lithium would be a waste of time as weight saving is pointless lol.

The lithium wake up thing is real.

My sv650 and husky450 if you leave them a few days and try start it will chug along like it's been weeks and not start.

Solution give the starter a fast press and leave it 5 mins. Come back it'll crank like a brand new battery. It's just become habit now

I have a Tracker on my bike too and the Lithium battery goes flat quite quickly, I have just bought the BMW battery charger and now connect this after using the bike.

I wish I'd kept this up as a record of the adventures. I feel a bit of a fraud browsing/posting on here when I've not ridden the bike for months. I read with interest the "disable tracker" thread where other victims talk of 3-4 day battery life, but my insurance is conditional on the tracker.

After a few acrimonious encounters with the dealer along the lines of "they all do that", an over-the-ether update to the tracker enabled the bike to go over a week without charge.

For winter, I just gave in and left it connected to the trickle charger, but sometime before Christmas (?November) I got a call from the dealer out of the blue saying that the tracker people had been in touch with them and it was definitely a problem with the tracker and I probably needed a new tracker, or loom, or antenna +/- a firmware update. They said the tracker company had even given them some cash compensation for the hassle. I'd be hearing from them soon to arrange for them to come and fetch the bike to fix it.

I'm entirely unsurprised to have heard nothing more since, but salt was rubbed in the wound this week by an email reminder from the dealer that my service might be due in March.

I'll be on the phone this week and report back, folks. Stay tuned.

After an email prod to the dealer, I?ve had a call from Mr Datatool.
My tracker isn?t working and will be replaced. Now waiting for bits and a man to come and fit.

Nice to have the problem acknowledged. Still peeved to have had a year of grizzling to go through, as well as all the painful trips to the dealer (for my wife too, as chief fetcher and dropper-off) to be told that my expectations of the battery were the problem.

Will update.

Hi All
Mine has to been back and forward to the dealership to be told all the time nothing wrong with battery.
Gave up and now keep it on a charger all the time when not been used saves the hassle and time going to dealer .
Has stopped the messages from Datatool and now starts every time .
Worth the small amount paid for a charger in time and effort with dealer

Had mine in with BMW all last week. Issue - bike is on permanent charge but has still failed to start on a couple of occasions. Also couple of weeks ago was riding for a hour and stopped for a comfort break. Bike wouldnt restart - had to get GF to bring me some jump leads :(
Dealer says couldnt find anything wrong but did replace the battery on warrantee
will be keeping a close eye on the levels etc but does seem to be a common problem with different dealership responses

Back