Replacement brakes for the gen4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoke to the dealer this morning and explained that I would be happy to accept some sort of credit for not taking the replacement hayes calipers because they were unlikely to arrive anytime soon (they have had my bike since 17th Feb with the calipers on backorder), and instead I could order some M4 calipers and get them to fit them (BMW put M4s on the HP4 so why not this bike). Was told it was up to BMW UK. So I phoned BMW UK and eventually got told it was a dealer decision. BMW UK spoke to the dealer to explain it was up to them. Then the dealer called me back to say no way were they going to agree to anything like that and would only release the bike back to me once the warranty work was done. So I have said I will have to look at rejecting the bike if it is not going to be sorted anytime soon. They've gone away to have a think... the bike has been back with them for around 8 weeks since I got it delivered in early September. I think I am being reasonable?

yeap you totally are, altho they can blame coronavirus for the delay now

Last edited:
Very reasonable and patient. Although I can kinda also see it from the dealer's point of view. They'd effectively be certifying an unknown quantity (on the 2020 bike) and if anything were to happen (ok, we know the chance is minuscule), they'd be in liable. I'm guessing their insurance wouldn't cover it - or something like that.

It's crap all round though.

Sorry to hear this Andy, I assume it's the dealer you've had a long standing relationship with? Surely they can sort something out for you..

Your more patient than me, if I were you it would be decision time..I'd reject it as not fit for purpose, refund and buy another...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Your dealership sounds horrific. Changing a caliper shouldn't invalidate the warranty on the whole bike - that's just dumb.

Think we are closer to Germany

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoke to the dealer this morning and explained that I would be happy to accept some sort of credit for not taking the replacement hayes calipers because they were unlikely to arrive anytime soon (they have had my bike since 17th Feb with the calipers on backorder), and instead I could order some M4 calipers and get them to fit them (BMW put M4s on the HP4 so why not this bike). Was told it was up to BMW UK. So I phoned BMW UK and eventually got told it was a dealer decision. BMW UK spoke to the dealer to explain it was up to them. Then the dealer called me back to say no way were they going to agree to anything like that and would only release the bike back to me once the warranty work was done. So I have said I will have to look at rejecting the bike if it is not going to be sorted anytime soon. They've gone away to have a think... the bike has been back with them for around 8 weeks since I got it delivered in early September. I think I am being reasonable?

Yes.
And this shows what I was telling the friend here who was saying my dealer is not ok or dumb. Nor that I care but it is simple: it?s about sales and business

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally reasonable, I think you've been very patient as I would have rejected the bike a long time ago!

They closed up yesterday having not called me back as promised so that?s that.

Understandable under the circumstances.

They closed up yesterday having not called me back as promised so that?s that.

Understandable under the circumstances.

Not really understandable. It's a typical thing every dealer does, tells you they call you and they don't.

I know what your saying about the circumstances, however it kind of tells me there's no one taking ownership of your problem in there..

I know what your saying about the circumstances, however it kind of tells me there's no one taking ownership of your problem in there..

When I said to the person in the service department that I would need to consider rejecting the bike I was told I would have to speak to either the sales manager or the dealer principal, and that one of them would call me back.....

When I said to the person in the service department that I would need to consider rejecting the bike I was told I would have to speak to either the sales manager or the dealer principal, and that one of them would call me back.....

In order to reject the bike you simply need to speak to BMW FS, assuming you financed it... Once you?ve explained to them your issues, they then together with BMW Customer Services do the rest with your dealership. I have a friend who rejected his BMW M5 after numerous issues and he explained briefly what he had to do.

Not sure if you?ve done so already, but speak to BMW Customer Services so that a case can be raised where all your problems and issues are recorded. This will then help come rejection time should you go down that route.

Definitely this.

The way that BMW UK wouldn't give a response as to whether the Brembos were ok replacements, and pushed responsibility to the dealer, when the purchaser can take that bike to any dealer to be serviced, shows me BMW UK have not acted at all correctly in this case.

Where does it leave you if your dealer says "fine", they fit them for you, and you get your next service at another dealer who thinks <insert issue here> (peeling paint on the tail tidy?) is due to the aftermarket calipers? They've not been involved in this debacle at all. BMW UK have to be the ones to be responsible.

This is why I sort of see the dealers point of view on this. BMW UK have been terrible in this.

All possibilites I suppose, but whats that got to do with the courtesy call they should have made to him lol...

All possibilites I suppose, but whats that got to do with the courtesy call they should have made to him lol...

That's just par for the course from BMW dealers :tongue-new:

Seriously though, I do tend to find most of them to be pretty poor, Sycamore excepted (so far).

Latest posts

Back