Gen 3 quickshifter issues

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoranC1

Reaction score
Sorry if there is a solution, forum search isn't working well atm.

Went for a ride on Sunday past... Quick shifter seemed to be fine sometime but then other times it wouldn't shift.

Half the time it would get stuck in 4th and not shift up without clutch.

But mostly it wouldn't actually shift down out of any gear, worse In 6th and 5th. Unless I used alot of pressure,.

It felt like the lever just didn't want to be pressed down to down shift, as if it was at its lowest travel already.

When pushing on hard it was fine mostly, but once or twice it played up. Which was somewhat scary let's say.

Can I calibrate the QS without a g911? Or does it need to be a bmw thing? It is under warranty for another year or so as it only had a full engine about 800-1000k mile ago

Have you removed the gear change lever at all? Obvious but needs asking. If so, check that it is installed at the same position as before.

First of all, make sure that the chain is lubricated and that the chain tension is correct as per the manual, 45-50 mm set with the bike on the side stand. I previously followed the reset mentioned above with the bike on a paddock stand and it worked, but I find that if the chain is loose at all, the QS gear change can be challenging.

Secondly, as Alex mentions above, the downshifts should be on a closed throttle, it won't go down the gears otherwise.

Thirdly on the upshifts, and I say this from experience, a positive open throttle and a firm lift of the boot are needed. Not like me with a timid lift of the boot which results in the bike hesitating, staying in the same gear and trying to throw me over the bars!.

Cheers for the replies, for some further info,
1, on downshift, throttle deffinatly closed. I can be decel for about 10secs whilst repeatidtly pressing down and still no shift until clutch pulled in.

2. On up shift, deffinatly using good force, actually starts to hurt my toes if it doesn't shift.

3, quite possibly the chain, and it was just in for the top lever arm service action too. Which I hoped they would have set it correctly.

I'll have a look at the link tonight. @alex is the procedure for that also in the link above or any info on thay?

TPS and QS adaptions are reset the same time with the RCK3 or GS911 afaik

- Alex

sounds like you need to make sure the switch on the clutch lever isn't getting activated whilst riding,sen it loads of times on track,to much slck on teh clutch lever and it pushes in slightly,engaging the clutch switch,making the bike think the clutch is in,so deactivates the blipper/shifter.

just make suur you dont have excessive play on the lever and try it,failing that you can by-pass the switch all together to let you see if that is the actuall problem

sounds like you need to make sure the switch on the clutch lever isn't getting activated whilst riding,sen it loads of times on track,to much slck on teh clutch lever and it pushes in slightly,engaging the clutch switch,making the bike think the clutch is in,so deactivates the blipper/shifter.

just make suur you dont have excessive play on the lever and try it,failing that you can by-pass the switch all together to let you see if that is the actuall problem

+1 Check your clutch lever play is as per user manual and adjust as necessary. If you are able to engage the gears using the clutch, Scooby makes an excellent point.

+1 Check your clutch lever play is as per user manual and adjust as necessary. If you are able to engage the gears using the clutch, Scooby makes an excellent point.

To slightly build on these great points, also check the metal tabs on the clutch switch when you?re looking at the slack, coz if they?re bent they?ll trigger differently.
Have you changed the clutch lever recently by chance?

Gonna have a look at this either this eve or tomorrow(hoping for dry weather). During QS reset, do you change up each gear using clutch? Or just use it as a QS

Clutch, 10 seconds or so and the gear indicator stops flashing. Then do the next gear

- Alex

OK so, clutch freeplay is fine, checked metal tabs and can hear the switches click at the correct points.
Chain is also within spec.
So I tried to do a QS reset, removed the positive battery terminal for about 5 mins, then refitted, started bike, let it run to warm up, then through each gear with arleast 10secs in between.

But the gear indicator was never flashing at any point?

Have I missed a step?

I'm not sure where "flashing" came from. Even with gs911 it never flashes.

You just run up all gears and down all gears, 10 seconds each

It did the flashing on my dash after RCK adaptions clearing. I assumed all did, apologies.

- Alex

Back