Gen3 seat cowl

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zxcv12

Reaction score
I picked up a 2018 gen3 recently without the pillion pack. The 2016 was starting to get a bit maintenance heavy for me, and I found a good deal. However, the new bike has no seat, just a plastic cover that doesn’t even attempt to seal the space below. There are lots of wires/alarms/stuff under there, and I’m sure rain will find a way in. I don’t think there’s a fitting problem, more like They’re all do that Sir’ kind of thing. Anyone come up with an easy fix? Or is it a non problem?
The 2018 definitely seems more refined, and a lot tidier wrt wiring. Different master cylinder though, it’s a Nissin, looks different and does feel different too.

Non issue, they all do that, have never heard of a problem caused by the design. Tend to find a rider in front of the seat cowl gap stops ingress of the elements. :)

Cant comment on the master cylinder.

How do you find the 2018 bike compared to the 2016? Supposed to be a little restrained due to the revised cat / emission regulations.

Congratulations on the new RR.

As Soofsayer says the seat cowl gap causes no issues.
Re. master cylinder, the 15/16 model year bikes also have a Nissin master cylinder. Did you have an aftermarket unit fitted on your 16?

I too would be interested to hear how the 18 model compares to the 16

Congratulations on the new RR.

As Soofsayer says the seat cowl gap causes no issues.
Re. master cylinder, the 15/16 model year bikes also have a Nissin master cylinder. Did you have an aftermarket unit fitted on your 16?

I too would be interested to hear how the 18 model compares to the 16
The 2018 seems more refined, but that could just be because it’s newer! The gear shift assist is definitely smoother and works better at low rpm for sure. It still has that ‘right turn assist’ feature, which is annoying but I’m already used to it. The exhaust has the same character, but much quieter all round. The biggest difference so far is the front brake. It’s lost that initial bite, has more initial travel, and seems to have more feel on initial application. The master cylinder setup looks different too. All of the wiring is much tidier, they’ve moved the loom around too
The engine feels just as strong, but time will tell and I’ve not had the time or weather yet to stretch its legs, that will have to wait for a trackday or at least dry weather!

Non issue, they all do that, have never heard of a problem caused by the design. Tend to find a rider in front of the seat cowl gap stops ingress of the elements. :)

Cant comment on the master cylinder.

How do you find the 2018 bike compared to the 2016? Supposed to be a little restrained due to the revised cat / emission regulations.
good to know thanks! I’ll have a play with it anyway to see if I can get a better fit.

Back