Renthal Gen 3 clip-ons & oem switchgear/ throttle housing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovebikes86

Reaction score
Hi all,
Sorry if this has been discussed before, I’ve purchased gen3 Renthal clip-ons and just wondered if anybody has fitted these along with the standard switches and throttle housing? The bars come with a warning to not drill but from what I’ve read it’s the only way. My main concern is fitting the right hand switch gear and throttle and if it can be done or am I looking at buying an aftermarket q/a throttle? The bike is a 2012 gen2 and currently being converted to track so won’t be going on the road. Cheers!

They're basically taking no responsibility if you drill them and something happens. I've seen a couple of nasty incidents with both cheapo and renthal clipons on bikes that were not BMWs that snapped in a heavy braking zone but both of those had been involved in many big crashes through the season and almost definitley would have had previous damage. The S1000RR I know of that have used standard throttle with the Renthal clipons drilled have not had any problems.

Last edited:
Re: Renthal Gen 3 clip-ons & oem switchgear/ throttle housing

Alpha racing does allow drilling theirs.

Last edited:
i've drilled all my renthal bars,even returned some when there was a recall on the gen2 bars/clamps for gen 3's (again,drilled) without issue.

Alex,why do you say that? i've run PP clip ons on my blades for years with no issues,you saying the bar rotates or clamp? either way,it sounds more like a user error

i've drilled all my renthal bars,even returned some when there was a recall on the gen2 bars/clamps for gen 3's (again,drilled) without issue.

Alex,why do you say that? i've run PP clip ons on my blades for years with no issues,you saying the bar rotates or clamp? either way,it sounds more like a user error

I did them up FT and practically needed a breaker bar to get enough torque to stop them slipping round. @kylez7r had a similar experience.
They stopped eventually but it all seemed a bit OTT.

well something not right then obviously if you can still twist it on the forks after it's been tightened,very dangerous in fact,did you send them back?

well something not right then obviously if you can still twist it on the forks after it's been tightened,very dangerous in fact,did you send them back?

It twisted on around the bar itself as in the throttle rotation direction. It didn't move on the fork.
Like I say they are fine now, I just don't like the clamp for the bar itself (end on instead of side on).

Last edited:
I fancy moving forward offset clamps rather than the renthall screwon bars but the fork tubes are so soft on the BMW I'm not sure its a great idea. I had a low side last year and broke a screw on bar and can see where it's marked the tube. I reckon it would have damaged the tube if it was a clamp.

I fancy moving forward offset clamps rather than the renthall screwon bars but the fork tubes are so soft on the BMW I'm not sure its a great idea. I had a low side last year and broke a screw on bar and can see where it's marked the tube. I reckon it would have damaged the tube if it was a clamp.

i swapped out my gen3 renthal bars as soon as poss as i had/have a decent stock of bars,which are no good ont he gen3 renthals,plus much prefer the gen1 style as it allows for bar length change if needed/want

Back