Rear wheel chain tensioner

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handbag

Reaction score
I've seen a few road bikes with after market chain adjusters on, is there a specific reason for the modification

I've seen a few road bikes with after market chain adjusters on, is there a specific reason for the modification

The Lightech's make it both quicker / easier to adjust and to have more accurate settings due to the finer adjustment scales. I've also had Gilles TCA's and found the worm drive adjustment both easy to damage and slow to use.(for info neither were on my S1000RR however they are the same from model to model)

They also make it easy to fit paddock stand brackets if you don't like where the standard cotton reels fit.

I had lightech adjusters on my previous bike and it made lining up the rear axle and getting the chain tension bang on a lot easier than using the oe blocks. Highly recommended.

Probably a stupid question but I take it everyone adjusts the chain side to the correct chain tension then just matches the marks on the other adjuster to that one.

I'm wondering as I used the old "string touching of both sides of the back wheel method" and the lightech marks are not the same. I suspect it's probably me.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Probably a stupid question but I take it everyone adjusts the chain side to the correct chain tension then just matches the marks on the other adjuster to that one.

I'm wondering as I used the old "string touching of both sides of the back wheel method" and the lightech marks are not the same. I suspect it's probably me.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

i hope you double check the tension after adjusting the non chain side to the same markings? Have you ever noticed doing it this way that the tension changes slightly because I?d expect it to, maybe not by much but it will change slightly.

Last edited:
i never use the marks on the adjusters,to far out i find.i just use verniers with the long"prong" to match each side

Yep, accuracy of chain tensioners/manufacturers markings can be miles out. it's got better over the years. The K67 Gen 4 is very, very accurate because they have machined the tensioner mounting area, so that the axle pivot centre to front machined edge is the same bike to bike. Dead accurate.

The inaccuracy can be introduced by the fact that the aftermarket tensioners inc BMW's own use the back edge of the swinging arm as the clamping area. That edge has a weld that varies massively so that in the numerous bikes I've checked, they've been different side to side. If the front of the tensioner doesn't sit firm against the machined edge at the front of the tensioner area, it'll be miles out.

I found with mine that both sides differed 3mm. I had to 'Dremel' down the weld so that the front face of the BMW M adjuster contacted the machined surface freely then they matched. I also checked the actually chassis with my Maxton Ronometer. Some bikes out of the factory wouldn't pass an MOT. Mostly it's the front wheel not being centred on the axle.

As long as the machining is done after the welding of the swinging arm, it'll be spot on. It's the unintended use of the rear of the swinging arm ie not in the design that introduces the errors.

Hope that helps, J

IMG_1228.jpgIMG_0117m.jpeg

Last edited:
Back