Thinking about a Gen 4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HertsTif

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've had a Gen 1 since new and I've loved it, but lately I've been hankering for an upgrade. I've been lurking here for a bit and it seems like the Gen 4 has had, to put it politely, it's fair share of issues. My Gen 1 is a 2011 so the gearbox and engine gremlins that were there at release had been addressed, so I've had many miles of problem-free motoring on road and track (apart from a dodgy left switchgear which BMW replaced for free).

Anyway, I guess my question is, is there a manufacture date for Gen 4's that I want to be "north of" in order to avoid trouble? Some of the things are pretty scary (cracks in carbon wheels particularly :distress:). Any other advice? I don't want to wait another year since my Gen 1 is due a major service and needs new chain/sprockets so I'd rather not put that money into an old bike if I might be changing soon anyway.

I've also had a sit on a few other superbikes and really the only other thing I've got in the running is the new V4S (although that itself is a bit of an unknown quantity, but at least it's not first of it's generation). None of the other bikes felt right for me. I'm hoping to test ride a Gen4 and V4S in the next couple of months, when the roads get a bit less slimey and I can get a better feel for them.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you've got on this, or anything related that might help me :encouragement:

Bmw have been rectifying any issues with the gen 4 retrospectively so I wouldn’t be looking to put a line in the sand regarding if to buy a bike made after x. The cracked carbon wheels is an interesting one, we have one member who has had this issue, no one else on here, so the assumption is that it was a particular batch of wheels that were affected. (I dont give much weight to hearsay third hand from someone on the internet in another country).

Think you need to try one and decide if you like it, it will be worlds apart from your gen 1 in every way.

Now that the bikes are being delivered I don’t think there’s any issues that would stop me buying. There’s been a couple of instances regarding the wheels but I wouldn’t say it’s an issue and there’s no recalls apart from a software update and oil cooler replacement. Neither of which will effect a new bike.
it’s come to light that some brake calipers are leaking but again I’ve not had any issues with mines.
ive has mines since June and not had any faults which also includes 3 days on track in Spain.

I cancelled my M sport order and bought a new V4S as I was sick of being messed around by BMW.
Never looked back, the Panigale has way more drama, looks and excitement, a real occasion. I came from a gen1 S1000RR as well so know the leap.

The V4 is hugely quick mid range, but flat out on track I don't think it's much different the gen1 in a straight line, but you won't notice that on the road.

Mine is a July 2019 bike and has all of the niggles addressed on the build line so I would definitely go with a 19 onwards bike. My only advice would be don't buy new, they have tanked in value so you'll pick up one with only a few miles for about a £6k saving on list!

As Carson said, BMW is delivering the bikes at steady pace these days, so its all comes down to personal preferences.

It's defo a quick bike on track, and geometry wise nothing like Gen3.

Of all issues reported, I have seen none. Oil cooler was replaced at PDI before delivery, I dont use carbon wheels and Hayes brakes are perfectly fine.
The bike just works and it's fast.

I cancelled my M sport order and bought a new V4S as I was sick of being messed around by BMW.
Never looked back, the Panigale has way more drama, looks and excitement, a real occasion. I came from a gen1 S1000RR as well so know the leap.

The V4 is hugely quick mid range, but flat out on track I don't think it's much different the gen1 in a straight line, but you won't notice that on the road.

Mine is a July 2019 bike and has all of the niggles addressed on the build line so I would definitely go with a 19 onwards bike. My only advice would be don't buy new, they have tanked in value so you'll pick up one with only a few miles for about a £6k saving on list!

I'm not new to Ducati's and yeah, the second hand prices definitely tank unless you're buying something very special like a Desmosedici or Superlegerra. I was thinking new just because of the changes to the 2020 model which supposedly makes it a lot more friendly to ride, like the S1000RR. Obviously I'd take a big hit with residuals, but then I have done with other Dukes; but then at least I know they've been well looked after. Possibly the thing that worries me most though is trying to get one through noise testing at a track. My S1000RR, even with a full Akra system (albeit the road legal one with cat) is only 98dB with the baffle in, and 103 without. It means I don't even have to think twice about noise limits. Not sure I can say the same with even the stock can on a V4S.

I think you’ve got an enviable decision ahead of you!

I’ve never owned a Duke but the V4S is one that would surely tempt me above almost all other bikes - something to love, caress and polish when the weather’s shite as it has been for ages.

The Gen 4’s a significant step on from the 1. I had a 2 and 3 before the M arrived and the 4’s a much friendlier prospect at speed than any of the others and the engine feels colossal. I agree with some of the press comments that the Beemer’s probably got less character than the V4’s, but it delivers the sweetest steering I’ve known on any road bike and a big heap of ruthlessness that suits me 100%.

I’m absolutely convinced that character won’t keep me out of the hedge!

I’m sure you’ll have a great time deciding.

Thanks RammyRR. You're right, I'm exceptionally lucky to be able to contemplate bikes like these.

There's actually a slight update on this situation!

I went out on my Gen 1 yesterday just to blow away the cobwebs. I ended up going a long way (probably 180 miles from home) and got a bit lost. I ended up going past a Motorrad dealer and stopped for a coffee and to warm up. Whilst there I mentioned I was thinking of trading up and they actually let me go for a test ride on a Gen 4 as it wasn't booked out. Obviously cold and slimey January roads aren't ideal for testing a bike like this but holy hell, things have moved on a fair bit from the Gen 1 (as I'm sure you're all aware).

Obviously the heated grips were one of the first things I appreciated! But shortly after, the incredible sensation of a lack of weight hit me. The bike turns like crazy. I also appreciated switching to ROAD mode to soften the suspension (especially with the pretty hard seat). My Gen 1 suspension is still setup after my last track day so this felt so comfy in comparison. Riding position was quite similar. The bars felt closer, but the more splayed clip ons meant reach felt similar. The low down grunt was nice too, I spent most of the time 2 or 3 gears higher than I would have done on the Gen 1 (obviously not pushing things too hard in this weather). The dash is gorgeous, quick-shifter was silky smooth in both directions, and I had none of the issues finding neutral that some have reported (and I still have on my Gen 1). The super light clutch lever was a real revelation too. It's very hard to find things not to like. Maybe the hard seat, maybe that it's a bit taller (I'm a short arse - is it worth me getting the lower seat option - it's not cheap and it's probably even less comfy than the stock M seat?). And yeah, maybe less character than my Gen 1, but it was just so excellent in all areas that I could overlook that, especially on track where character can sometimes get you in trouble!

Still gonna test ride a V4 for comparison, but I was very impressed.

Oh, one thing I was told... if I were to go for the factory Akra full system, that they wouldn't invalidate the warranty. Gave me food for thought, but would want to know how loud it is with baffles in to make sure I can get on track. They also said a remap wasn't needed but they could do one if I wanted.

Looking on the Akra website, they do two full systems that offer 104.6 db and 105.3db, unless you have Titanium headers and MotoGP end can and that rises to about 112-115db
My dealer also said no warranty issues and they would do a flash if required, although believe its not needed

Oh, one thing I was told... if I were to go for the factory Akra full system, that they wouldn't invalidate the warranty. Gave me food for thought, but would want to know how loud it is with baffles in to make sure I can get on track. They also said a remap wasn't needed but they could do one if I wanted.

Looking on the Akra website, they do two full systems that offer 104.6 db and 105.3db, unless you have Titanium headers and MotoGP end can and that rises to about 112-115db
My dealer also said no warranty issues and they would do a flash if required, although believe its not needed

Yeah, I was told no flash needed too, but that they'd do one, and showed me some box that they sell for changing the fueling.

My Gen 1 exhaust is rated as 102dB officially (without the baffle), so actually if it was 104/105, that's not too bad, especially if there is a baffle available

Back