Hello: Bars and riding position

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downies1978

Reaction score
Hi all. I've just bought a 2017 s1000rr. This is my first super sports bike and I have to say I'm struggling with the riding position.

The bars are just too far forward and too low and my lower back and neck are taking a pounding.

I have 2 options as I see it.

1 cut my losses and trade the bike in for a s1000r or Gs1200

2 fit either the ac schnitzer or Gilles various bar setup to adjust the bar position. The Gilles kit raises 55mm which may just be enough but probably isn't ideal. The ac schnitzer kit is twice the price but will give me the best position with a compromise of turning circle at low speed which I can probably live with.

If making changes I'm keen to keep my bmw warranty in tact for obvious reasons. Riding wise I'm not going to be hitting things with too much aggression and would like to see some light track action on it.

Im sure there will be lots of views saying I brought the wrong bike, which I kind of know now so am looking for anyone with insight or experience to help advise me.

Thanks all!

Welcome to the forum.

I’ve moved your post to our welcome area, as we ask all new members to say hello here first.

Personally, if you’ve not had the bike long, or not ridden it much yet, then I think you should reassess your body position on the bike and spend a bit more time getting used to being on a sport bike, prior to making significant ergo changes.

What is your riding history, where are you based and what sort of riding do you enjoy primarily?

I can recommend the gilles. fitted a set on mine after several years of ownership. we do a couple of thousand miles in a week every September, Spain or italy normally, and it put off the unavoidable wrist ache of 3-400 mile days very nicely - whilst i didn't find it unbearable before, it is noticably more comfortable now.
I also have the BMW high screen which is good, and HP rearsets which have now migrated to the lowest setting. I'm looking at possibly changing the seat this year to help further with the (slight) numb bum.
Ventura luggage - perfect tourer!

I've fitted a set of ABM Multiclips to my Gen 3 - allow a lot of adjustment and it's amazing how an inch or so feels. Up for the road, down in a minute for the track. Nothing compared with the AC kit but quite a difference from stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUdmy7M3ZCk

Hi gobert what is the cost of abm bars ? Heibars are around 42mm higher and there nearer to the rider + and bars an inch wider [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi gobert what is the cost of abm bars ? Heibars are around 42mm higher and there nearer to the rider + and bars an inch wider [emoji106]

I bought mine second hand but I think you are talking around £280 for the "Tour" version - I went for them as they are so adjustable as shown in the vid.

I bought mine second hand but I think you are talking around £280 for the "Tour" version - I went for them as they are so adjustable as shown in the vid.

Bargain gobert , helibars tracstar which I have are not adjustable but they make a massive difference. I have fitted these to all my late gsxrs and my r1 Big Bang [emoji106][emoji41]

f754bcabf235854e5ab09cb93f519800.jpg
8709a882ccf6108d4d556adf732368bc.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, appreciate you may want to make some modifications which is understandable but also remember that your body will be making big postural changes which take some time, can fully appreciate where it might feel tight and there’s a lack of mobility but the body will adapt to those positions. I only mention as I’ve suffered with really bad hip mobility through injuries in sport but after I spend the first month or so on the bike each year my body adapts nicely and I’m good to go. Happy riding 👍

Hello, appreciate you may want to make some modifications which is understandable but also remember that your body will be making big postural changes which take some time, can fully appreciate where it might feel tight and there’s a lack of mobility but the body will adapt to those positions. I only mention as I’ve suffered with really bad hip mobility through injuries in sport but after I spend the first month or so on the bike each year my body adapts nicely and I’m good to go. Happy riding ������
hi on my last six bikes which are hayabusa 3 x gsxr1000 1 x r1 big bang and now bmw s1000rr all have had helibars fitted.really I have no choice in modifying the bars because I have spine injury .I find these work for me best.your body position does change though but these helibars work for me.i can understand they wouldn't be to everybodys taste but then im not everbody.i don't ride on the track so im no track racer but saying that I no slow by a long way.i been riding bikes since 1980 and had around 70+ bikes in that time and at one point when I was really in bad health with my back in did have a couple of years off biking but the rest of the time its just been bikes after bikes for me its in my blood :nevreness:

I have no choice in modifying the bars because I have spine injury

Good on you mate for sticking with the sport, I done two tours of Europe with a guy with one hand !...his KTM 990 Clutch was modified to operate on the right...he asked if I wanted a blast on it..... just think about that for a minute .... I couldn't get my head round it so declined lol...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good on you mate for sticking with the sport, I done two tours of Europe with a guy with one hand !...his KTM 990 Clutch was modified to operate on the right...he asked if I wanted a blast on it..... just think about that for a minute .... I couldn't get my head round it so declined lol...

So would I decline that offer of a go also [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

My best mate gave it a go on in car park in Denmark somewhere, we all fell about laughing, you'd have thought he'd never been on a bike before...haha

hi on my last six bikes which are hayabusa 3 x gsxr1000 1 x r1 big bang and now bmw s1000rr all have had helibars fitted.really I have no choice in modifying the bars because I have spine injury .I find these work for me best.your body position does change though but these helibars work for me.i can understand they wouldn't be to everybodys taste but then im not everbody.i don't ride on the track so im no track racer but saying that I no slow by a long way.i been riding bikes since 1980 and had around 70+ bikes in that time and at one point when I was really in bad health with my back in did have a couple of years off biking but the rest of the time its just been bikes after bikes for me its in my blood :nevreness:

Yes mate fully understand and fair point.
My reply was meant for the OP wasn’t meaning to chip in on other people’s opinions, as all are valid for each individual 👍
I’ve just realised this ‘quick reply’ doesn’t add the original quote from message. Which may have helped lol

Yes mate fully understand and fair point.
My reply was meant for the OP wasn’t meaning to chip in on other people’s opinions, as all are valid for each individual [emoji106]
I’ve just realised this ‘quick reply’ doesn’t add the original quote from message. Which may have helped lol

No problem buddy [emoji106]

Bargain gobert , helibars tracstar which I have are not adjustable but they make a massive difference. I have fitted these to all my late gsxrs and my r1 Big Bang [emoji106][emoji41]

f754bcabf235854e5ab09cb93f519800.jpg
8709a882ccf6108d4d556adf732368bc.jpg

Did they effect lock or need the steering lock adjusting to stop any clashes?
Also do the standard bar ends fit?

Did they effect lock or need the steering lock adjusting to stop any clashes?
Also do the standard bar ends fit?

No effect on steering lock and yes the OEM style bar ends will fit.
Helibars are literally plug n play

Do you have adjustable rearsets as well? I'd highly recommend looking at these as well as the bar adjustment since it changes your overall body angle on the bike. The BMW is quite an odd bike to get comfortable on and I needed to get adjustable rearsets, levers and have been considering offset clipons as well. I have used stock rearsets on most other bikes but I just couldn't get a good body position with the stock BMW items. I was constantly getting sore arms, hips and knees.

Back