Carbon wheel swap ????

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGodfather

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in swapping my set of carbon wheels from the M for their standard or magnesium ones.
Probably not that many standard ones about but if someone bought their RR and wanted Carbon but couldn't quite stretch to it, I'm happy for a straight swap for magnesium, standard ones then some sort of deal.

Where mines a dedicated track bike I'm getting cold feet about running them.

I've not heard that and find that hard to believe.
Your basically buy a bike where you can upgrade to either wheel on the bike builder BMW site.

M Wheels

As far as I’m aware the M carbon fibre and M forged (aluminium not magnesium) wheels are interchangeable.

According to technical director wheels can’t be swapped for old ones due to being aligned to the left. I knew I had seen it on YouTube.

start watching from 5.00 mins
https://youtu.be/kDYQ3Gm2POg

I don’t know about interchanging sport for m sport for 2019s mind as he doesn’t state

Last edited:
M Wheels

I don’t know about interchanging sport for m sport for 2019s mind as he doesn’t state

See above post regarding Gen 4 M (Carbon Fibre and Forged) wheels. I intend to buy a set of M Forged wheels, or Oz Racing wheels, as a spare set for my Gen 4 M Sport. Whichever is cheaper.

According to technical director wheels can’t be swapped for old ones due to being aligned to the left. I knew I had seen it on YouTube.

start watching from 5.00 mins
https://youtu.be/kDYQ3Gm2POg

This is interesting.. I thought in the video it was pretty clear cut, pointing to the 2019 Red Sport that had the M forged wheels fitted, Sue Perkins asked if the forged wheels are interchangeable (with the carbon) and the Product Manager said "unluckily not" linked to a balance/alignment complication. I suppose this balance/alignment issue was to do with the lower weight of the carbon wheels hence the minor adjustments they had to make with the engine and chain positioning on the M Sport.

Last edited:
Yep that's what in after, forged wheels. I can't afford to buy them at moment so hence looking to swap.
At worse I'll have to run them till they fail (possibly).
I had bst's before but as someone has just had a front collapse on them I'm losing faith.

Still looking to make this happen. There's more bikes appearing now so someone must want some carbon. :adoration:
Get the ball rolling so can be sorted when we're allowed to travel again.

I can?t deny that the price of the carbon wheels was a deterrent for me, but also the prospect of keeping them nice when changing tyres. I almost got standard wheels (does anybody?) but wanted the lithium battery and slowly persuaded myself that I wanted the forged wheels too. I gather that they?re not much lighter, but the weight is more centred around the hub.

I?m surprised no-one?s swapped with you yet, but most of the sales have been the stripey white bikes.

I don't know the actual weight difference between them. Probably hardly noticeable in use.
Trouble is I do more tyre changes on one euro event that some might do in their ownership of the bike.
I do have an interested party who I've given first refusal when we can get around to meeting up.
I

I can?t deny that the price of the carbon wheels was a deterrent for me, but also the prospect of keeping them nice when changing tyres. I almost got standard wheels (does anybody?) but wanted the lithium battery and slowly persuaded myself that I wanted the forged wheels too. I gather that they?re not much lighter, but the weight is more centred around the hub.

IIRC the overall weight of the forged wheels is a couple of grams more than the 'design' wheels, but that is because the design wheels have thinner discs to keep the weight down.

Hi. I have a 3 week RR Sport with the magnesium wheels. Happily do a swap? You can contact me 07909 694487.

Back