Gen4: check your brake calipers. Leakage. Danger.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an interesting conversation with my DP today about leaky Hayes calipers. Two things:

1 - the calipers have now been modified so moving forwards any replacements should be leak free (and the DP confirmed that no replacements had been back in for leaks).

2 - the older version calipers will not leak if they are taken up to very high temperature / use, i.e. track time. Apparently this fixes them?

I was reassured by (1) but not at all convinced about (2). It sounds like a seal problem and tolerances, hence the heat expansion seating the seals properly when used very hard.

Either way we will see what happens when I get new ones fitted hopefully this week.

Mine gets picked up tomorrow.

I picked the bike up couple of weeks later went to almeria soon as I got it back mid march the bike went on the abba skylift and the wheels taken out checked mine yesterday and no leaks, I might be a lucky one

I had an interesting conversation with my DP today about leaky Hayes calipers. Two things:

1 - the calipers have now been modified so moving forwards any replacements should be leak free (and the DP confirmed that no replacements had been back in for leaks).

2 - the older version calipers will not leak if they are taken up to very high temperature / use, i.e. track time. Apparently this fixes them?

I was reassured by (1) but not at all convinced about (2). It sounds like a seal problem and tolerances, hence the heat expansion seating the seals properly when used very hard.

Either way we will see what happens when I get new ones fitted hopefully this week.

Not convinced by no.2 either. I had 3 days at Alcarras on mines after the run in service and they still started leaking afterwards

Mine is,obviously,an early bike.It has only been used on track and has no signs of leakage so there may be some truth in that(says he with fingers crossed).

Mine has done 400miles and been parked for almost 3 months, not been on track yet. No signs of leaking.
Built in Dec 2019.

Last edited:
Got my new calipers fitted yesterday. I hope that's them sorted now. Need to get on track and try them out as the feel from the lever didn't seem as good.

Got my Gen 4 back on weds and thought the same about brake lever feel. I've since been out twice and all seems fine now. Not sure if anything has changed or whether I've got used to it but carried a number of emergency stops from 70+ and confidence restored.

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

Got my bike today after seals change. Will see how it goes in next few days. First trackday is on May 26.

I realise that I'm only late to this party by 6 months, but I thought I'd let you know that my bike, new in August 2020, is going back to the dealers tomorrow due to leaky calipers..

I got my S1000RR from the States, now in Egypt, passed more than 800 miles, Hayes callipers still dry as a bone!
BMW Local Agent received the Hayes Calliper campaign on my bike and advised that they should keep the bike till BMW share more details. Took the bike back and monitoring it before every ride (front callipers & oil reservoir), no leaks till date.

Following!

Looks like Ive got the issue. I saw this thread and went to check. Its only on one side. Ive done just over 2500 miles with one track day at Donny back at the beginning of September. The bike has not been used for about 5 weeks now. Guess Ill be calling the dealer on Tuesday.
2F0DDBC2-BB32-43CB-AE94-0FBD2A612329.jpeg0862A189-9E6F-4B01-B88C-A932A5AFA1D6.jpeg

Thats the thing they weep when its sat idle for a while.

We?ll see a few more examples in the coming weeks I guess.
While I?m at it I?ll try and get the clutch replaced as well cause mine is a nightmare trying to find neutral. Next problem will be how do I get it to the dealer. I don?t want to ride it like it is and also I?m not keen on riding in this weather.

Mine showed signs of leaking when i took it off a stillage for a euro track day. I went out for the first few sessions as i was very worried about them. They performed excellent and the leak stopped immediately. Did my 4 days on track and forgot about it. But after 6 weeks in the garage un used they weeped again. I got new calipers fitted and no more problems.
They will know from your vin number whether its just new seels or complete calipers.

Last edited:
Just noticed my m sport calipers july 2020 bike leaking. To be fair Wollaston BMW collected bike monday morning, checked and ordered x2 calipers, fitted tuesday then delivered back first thing Wednesday morning. Crap for them to fail but cant fault the service from the dealer.

Back