Gen4: check your brake calipers. Leakage. Danger.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brembo is not the parent company of Hayes. Nothing to do with them.

Looking into it, it seems Hayes acquired shares of Brembo back in the 80's in the form of an acquisition with them. Hayes then decided to pull out in the 90's where Brembo bought back its share and therefore didn't seem to have anything to do with Hayes anymore. BYBRE (By Brembo) seems to be the only other motorcycle callipers they make, which is targeted towards the lower end and budget bikes market in India, also seen on the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650.

And then more lately, it states:

"In the meantime, the company continues its strategy of international growth, acquiring the Brakes division of Hayes Lemmerz International in the USA: a division consisting of two plants (one near Detroit, Michigan and another in Mexico) that produce brake discs and drums for automobiles and commercial vehicles for the North American market."

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/about/history

So there is definitely some link there... The last part doesn't mention callipers though, rather they mention discs and drums.

Last edited:
Calipers

Regardless of whether there is, or ever has been, a connection between Brembo and Hayes the situation regarding leaking brake calipers on a premium motorcycle is completely unacceptable.

Re: Calipers

Regardless of whether there is, or ever has been, a connection between Brembo and Hayes the situation regarding leaking brake calipers on a premium motorcycle is completely unacceptable.

100% agree, it is a joke!

Looking into it, it seems Hayes acquired shares of Brembo back in the 80's in the form of an acquisition with them. Hayes then decided to pull out in the 90's where Brembo bought back its share and therefore didn't seem to have anything to do with Hayes anymore. BYBRE (By Brembo) seems to be the only other motorcycle callipers they make, which is targeted towards the lower end and budget bikes market in India, also seen on the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650.

And then more lately, it states:

"In the meantime, the company continues its strategy of international growth, acquiring the Brakes division of Hayes Lemmerz International in the USA: a division consisting of two plants (one near Detroit, Michigan and another in Mexico) that produce brake discs and drums for automobiles and commercial vehicles for the North American market."

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/about/history

So there is definitely some link there... The last part doesn't mention callipers though, rather they mention discs and drums.

There is absolutely no link. Hayes Performance is absolutely different company that has no links to Brembo

https://hayesperformance.com/about/

There is absolutely no link. Hayes Performance is absolutely different company that has no links to Brembo

https://hayesperformance.com/about/

Must be mis-information by the motoring press then that has led most of us to believe that our Hayes callipers were a bi-product of Brembo's, because almost every review I saw of the bike, some journalist said they were linked with Brembo.

I?ve been in touch with BMW UK regarding my new calipers. They?re just fobbing me off, not interested at all.

I?ve complained about the 3 months the bike was in the dealers at Alicante waiting for an oil cooler and the fact it?s been 2 months in another dealer in the uk waiting for calipers.

They just want to hide behind covid but the dealerships not been closed 2 months. Now they?re saying it?s a dealer issue and they need to try and resolve it before bmw will get involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What seems to have been a cost cutting exercise for BMW going with Hayes, appears to be back firing in their face and could cause a bit of a shit storm for them. Mine are ok so far, but that's not the point as I'm always worried they could start anytime as well.

One can only hope, that once they get their act together after Covid lockdown is relaxed then perhaps you will start to see some progress.

Last edited:
The Covid situation hasn?t made one bit of difference to the brake caliper supply issue.

I was told in January that BMW were stalling for time on the calipers because the new ones weren?t going to be available until April time. Looks like he was right

Re: Calipers

That's working on the assumption that the BMW is a premium motorcycle? :mad-new:

Hope you get sorted quickly. Do you still use it on the road?

They said 1 week. I have Donny booked on May 26, if it goes ahead and bike not ready, I will take it back and give up on calipers.

I dont use it on road

I've just spoken to my dealer (Barnstormers), they've had the bike since 18th Feb awaiting new callipers. They've said the parts are there and it is booked in for Monday so crossing fingers I may see it next week [emoji1696]

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

I had an interesting conversation with my DP today about leaky Hayes calipers. Two things:

1 - the calipers have now been modified so moving forwards any replacements should be leak free (and the DP confirmed that no replacements had been back in for leaks).

2 - the older version calipers will not leak if they are taken up to very high temperature / use, i.e. track time. Apparently this fixes them?

I was reassured by (1) but not at all convinced about (2). It sounds like a seal problem and tolerances, hence the heat expansion seating the seals properly when used very hard.

Either way we will see what happens when I get new ones fitted hopefully this week.

I can confirm that using them hard seems to work but its not a fix. As reported before mine were leaking on the morning of a three day track event. I wiped the fluid away and took it steady for a few sessions. No more leaks and brakes performed well. But when bike had been sat in garage unused for a few weeks they were leaking again.

Back