Gen4: check your brake calipers. Leakage. Danger.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've also emailed my dealers, Wollaston, this morning to get an estimate on when they're planning to open up, mid May seems to be the pattern around the automotive industry. JLR workers going back in May, Marc above mentioned Sytner Group doing similar, so guessing others will follow suit.

I'm trying to convince myself my calipers are not leaking, but its not working!

Bike was collected Oct 2019 and first service done Nov 2019. BMW were aware of the caliper issue on other bikes when it went in for its service. I had not noticed any leaks on mine at the time. In Jan this year I noticed the right caliper had oil residue around the bottom so stuck some absorbent paper around the caliper to make sure the oil did not get onto the wheel (bike has not been used since Nov 2019). I've had no more residue since. I did notice this on the left caliper though. Its not oil - it appears to be a clear soft glue. You can stick your nail into it - like clear rubber. I'm wondering if the dealer did some remedial work on the calipers when it was in for its first service (changed seals?) and what In seeing is the left over residue?

Any ideas?
View attachment 5129

It?s not because brake fluid would run down through the caliper into the fork hold of the caliper before accumulating and drop from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just spoken to my dealer and my bikes been with them for 2 months for the leaking brakes.

They?ve told me that it?s not been fixed and the they?re waiting for calipers from Germany.

Not a happy bunny. Three months in the dealer in spin waiting for an oil cooler and now this.

What are the options as a replacement for the leaking Gen 4 calipers? Brembo GP4-RX, HEL? Anything else? Seriously pissed off at BMW over this bike now. If this lockdown wasn't on I'd be looking at a new bike and not a Beemer.

What are the options as a replacement for the leaking Gen 4 calipers? Brembo GP4-RX, HEL? Anything else? Seriously pissed off at BMW over this bike now. If this lockdown wasn't on I'd be looking at a new bike and not a Beemer.

Anything on the market, price wise ascending:

Brembo M4
Brembo GP4-RS
Brembo GP4-RX
Brembo GP4-RR

You have to pay attention to pistons diameter.

Pistons 30-32mm - 17mm MC
Pistons 34mm - 19 MC

That?s unfortunate, the Hayes calipers are great if not leaking, I can only assume as yours was an earlier bike the new version seals are not an option as they were for me, not leaked since. Hope you get squared up soon bud

Daz

Was going to ask how it was done if you were changing them. I've not done too much messing with the bike yet so unsure myself I'm going to buy a set of calipers soon as the gp4rr I had were 108mm but I have a set of quick release brake lines sat there doing nothing

Was going to ask how it was done if you were changing them. I've not done too much messing with the bike yet so unsure myself I'm going to buy a set of calipers soon as the gp4rr I had were 108mm but I have a set of quick release brake lines sat there doing nothing

108mm is not going to fit BMW, must be 100mm.

I did calipers/brake lines/abs removal on Gen3, it was straightforward, nothing special

I havent done Gen 4 yet. I will update later on how I do it.

Last edited:
At bricrewe.... sell your 108s... join as a premier member and join up for extra benefits.... pm me for more info! Support the forum and save on forum discounts...

That?s unfortunate, the Hayes calipers are great if not leaking, I can only assume as yours was an earlier bike the new version seals are not an option as they were for me, not leaked since. Hope you get squared up soon bud

Daz

Problem is almost everyone?s are leaking. Mines look to be leaking at the mating face between both halves not the seals

The Berl?n plant started again so their suppliers therefore I expect the calipers to arrive soon.

Back