Gen4: check your brake calipers. Leakage. Danger.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine got the new calipers as well as the replacement wheel and tire.
All good will of course check on those calipers before every take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to convince myself my calipers are not leaking, but its not working!

Bike was collected Oct 2019 and first service done Nov 2019. BMW were aware of the caliper issue on other bikes when it went in for its service. I had not noticed any leaks on mine at the time. In Jan this year I noticed the right caliper had oil residue around the bottom so stuck some absorbent paper around the caliper to make sure the oil did not get onto the wheel (bike has not been used since Nov 2019). I've had no more residue since. I did notice this on the left caliper though. Its not oil - it appears to be a clear soft glue. You can stick your nail into it - like clear rubber. I'm wondering if the dealer did some remedial work on the calipers when it was in for its first service (changed seals?) and what In seeing is the left over residue?

Any ideas?
caliper1.jpg

I thought it wouldn't happen to me that it has had.

Bike has been unused since Feb 24 and today they finally leaked.

IMG_20200426_181920.jpg

IMG_20200426_182018.jpg

Oh my....

Last edited:
I noticed mine leaked after first run out, but to be honest I think they leaked while it was standing in garage, and not so much when actually using it, bike is in lock down now at Allan Jeffries, does anyone have any info about when are they thinking about reopening?

I noticed mine leaked after first run out, but to be honest I think they leaked while it was standing in garage, and not so much when actually using it, bike is in lock down now at Allan Jeffries, does anyone have any info about when are they thinking about reopening?

I emailed them today asking this. Will report back if I get a response (not expecting one based on previous experience).

I thought it wouldn't happen to me that it has had.

Bike has been unused since Feb 24 and today they finally leaked.

IMG_20200426_181920.jpg

IMG_20200426_182018.jpg

Oh my....

Sorry to hear BBB, think mine and yours were built around the same time and so far touch wood mine have been ok. I have been getting out on it though for essentials and dropping meds off to my parents. They're only short journeys mind so perhaps that's a factor that it hasn't been stood still, I don't know.. I did check with my dealer back in March and he said on his computer mine didn't fall into the batch of bikes that need potential replacements.

I can't actually see your pics for some reason.

Sorry to hear BBB, think mine and yours were built around the same time and so far touch wood mine have been ok. I have been getting out on it though for essentials and dropping meds off to my parents. They're only short journeys mind so perhaps that's a factor that it hasn't been stood still, I don't know.. I did check with my dealer back in March and he said on his computer mine didn't fall into the batch of bikes that need potential replacements.

I can't actually see your pics for some reason.

I didnt have any problem while had been using the bike as well...

IMG-20200426-181920.jpg

IMG-20200426-182018.jpg

Sorry to hear that BBB...maybe that ebay auction might be worth considering now?

What track were you at last? Wheels look very dusty

Sorry to hear that BBB...maybe that ebay auction might be worth considering now?

What track were you at last? Wheels look very dusty

Jerez on Feb 22-24.

I will keep using them as I have few sets of Alpha sintered pads left. Meanwhile emailing dealer to sort something out.
Worst case I can re-fit GP4RX from Gen3.

It's weird, there's no reasoning with it. You can't pin point the length of time of non use will enable them to leak. I've not replaced the tissue i removed last weekend and they were dry today when I wiped my finger underneath the caliper.
Bbb,,,,,,, thats another area I've not seen leaking before,,, out of the back.

Had an email back this morning to say that AJ are planning to reopen on 11th May hopefully.

Back