Gen4: check your brake calipers. Leakage. Danger.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampj8

Reaction score
In the German forum one member who took his bike for oil cooler replacement said he got notified y BMW about a fix needed on his brake calipers as there was risk of leaks of fluid.

Many others went to check and effectively they found wet calipers! At least 4 more found and posted pictures.

I went to check mine and unfortunately also have the problem. Much more on the left than on the right.
Me so naive smelled a bit of burnt oil and thought it was the recently replaced oil cooler, could not be so wrong!

Now thinking on posting this in social media like instagram and quote all bmw hashtags just to get attention from bmw.

For me this is dangerous. Apparently affects bike not moving much (you can imagine)! Never had such an issue with other bikes all brands and new as my RR with less than 1000 km!

Welcome your opinions and findings.

50f729a5984ec56bf6ff3e102406790e.jpg

8819fc7cfbb33fc2bd668706b232beb2.jpg

b720fe0962563a7010448969151f090f.jpg
894b17495cd08a65c2368b0a5816eab1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really not good. I need to check mine. What is the common issue/failure?

Got to be a seal issue.
It's a bit depressing that a bike which took so long to develop has so many teething issues.

Got to be a seal issue.
It's a bit depressing that a bike which took so long to develop has so many teething issues.

Yes.
It has had some so far, compared to other bikes.
Yet these have been very painful and time consuming issues that I’ve never had after almost 8 new bikes in the last 10 years or so.

I don’t know if BMW has a number for this issue.

Worst is that on one braking you might experience delay braking why? Well beyond disks might be all wet with fluid!

Again it is dangerous. Damn it how can I trust this again?

so this thread answers the are they as good as Brembo question. :)

Indeed! With this I have to say now BMW can eat their words one by one.
Know the product manager and will manifest.

I dare say if it was middle o the season I would be slightly annoyed, but Scotland in January, am no riding anyway, so if it needs fixed before the season plenty time

6561d1518e052f8bd3e796ea37d8770c.jpg

748e0df7b13dd9f6aa6ef226c662fdcf.jpg

And have stains in the rim. Can’t clean these off!

Thats penetrated the lacquer... can't think how that could be removed without affecting the integrity of the rim.... shambles in places with this bike.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thats penetrated the lacquer... can't think how that could be removed without affecting the integrity of the rim.... shambles in places with this bike.

Asked dealer to fix and already get me the new wheel

Asked dealer to fix and already get me the new wheel

Your no mug, glad to hear that... Soof has already asked the next question... where's the leak coming from....

I'd whip off that caliper as curiosity would get the better of me...

Yes, I saw that video.

I just say why to leave the brembos?
They will spend more fixing the issue for all bikes now plus those with carbon wheel damage.

Their business case of using same calipers for several bikes is now into the red!
GS’s also report the issue.

I have an RT with Brembos and absolutely no issue

Is this a problem with early bikes or new ones as well? I’m due to collect my new bike this weekend and wondering if this issue has been sorted on later production bikes. Because if BMW know of the issue then one would think they’ll rectify at the factory. Mine is a Jan 2020 produced bike. I’ll ask the question when I go to collect.

I just say why to leave the brembos?
They will spend more fixing the issue for all bikes now plus those with carbon wheel damage.

Their business case of using same calipers for several bikes is now into the red!
GS’s also report the issue.

I have an RT with Brembos and absolutely no issue

Sadly, it’s the way most companies are going, in trying to cut costs. Clearly, this has gone wrong for them though. Ultimately, they should have stuck with Brembos on the RR’s at least, their flagship model.

On a positive note, most well respected journalists say the Hayes brakes have a better feel and less snatchy compared to the Brembos. Hopefully they’ll sort it, annoying as it is...

Back