Gen4: check your brake calipers. Leakage. Danger.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All RRs that werenot produced as from let?s say end of February have the issue or can develop it that is a fact also supported by those 1250 GS and RT cases.

New caliper design is in place but dealer has to ask for it.

My dealer already made the claim for both the calipers and the front carbon wheel which got corroded by the droplets as I didn?t noticed.

The issue you may have as I did is that light smell of burnt oil and initial slow bite for braking. If you don?t want this clean your calipers on your next ride, contact your dealer. Also check fluid level.

After a ride of use seems it stops happening so probably when pressure recedes it starts again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was new calipers for mine as well, but BMW say mine require the new version seals after checking my vin number. Who am I to argue:wink-new:

Whatever the fix might be hope they hurry up for you.
Got a pic from the American forum on a newly to deliver bike and dealer not even noticing the issue. That pond on the wheel for sure caused damage to the coating.

d5bf032f51ddb8ee14cd4e7bab3e6ebb.jpg

Just back from holiday and checked the bike in the garage, it seems my bike has this issue too. Fluid on the callipers and a little pool on the front wheel. Off to see the dealer now.

Bike coming home tomorrow after brakes fixed, happy days, just need the weather to square itself up and we will be champion.

Daz

The part number for the NEW caliper design is:

34111614797 Left in black
34111614798 Right in black

This was confirmed by a fellow friend from the German RR forum.

As the bikes aren't getting used I would have thought there would be more happening on this thread.

Update on mine,,,,,,the bike has not turned a wheel since my last post on the subject. Today I got the bike out and removed the tissue I have stuffed up under callipers. It fells dry to touch but clear evidence that they have been leaking. Also the fluid in the resevior has dropped significantly. It's dropped to 3/4 full and you can see the rubber diagphram pulled down inside a little.

As the bikes aren't getting used I would have thought there would be more happening on this thread.

Update on mine,,,,,,the bike has not turned a wheel since my last post on the subject. Today I got the bike out and removed the tissue I have stuffed up under callipers. It fells dry to touch but clear evidence that they have been leaking. Also the fluid in the resevior has dropped significantly. It's dropped to 3/4 full and you can see the rubber diagphram pulled down inside a little.

I regularly check mine. It hasnt been in use since Feb, no leaks still.

I just checked mine now - it's a model that is supposed to have been fixed on the production line - and nothing. I still check regularly though, not something you want to discover whilst riding.

I just checked mine now - it's a model that is supposed to have been fixed on the production line - and nothing. I still check regularly though, not something you want to discover whilst riding.

When was your bike built and/or do you know when they fixed the problem for production line?
I've been driving so much that I haven't even checked after delivery :D

When was your bike built and/or do you know when they fixed the problem for production line?
I've been driving so much that I haven't even checked after delivery :D
I believe it was mid Feb when they fixed it on the production line. But that's based on an internet forum post somewhere and what my dealer told me, so I'm still on guard about it

As an aside, does anyone know how to get the production week from the VIN?

Back