Gen4: check your brake calipers. Leakage. Danger.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just can’t be arsed constantly having to send the bike to a dealer

To be fair, for a £20k premium bike, you do expect better and it can ruin the whole experience for you. Hopefully your issues are resolved soon and you can put this experience in the past and start enjoying your bike.

My main issues have been with the Spanish dealer.
Hopefully when I get it back to the UK I’ll get the same service from Easy Kilbride as I did during the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird outcome this morning. BMW recovery scheduled to collect the bike at 9am, all good. Typically they will recover it to the nearest dealer, which for me is York, not AJ where I get all my work done. However, it is often possible to specify where the bike is to be recovered to.

Before the bike was collected I called up York to explain about the recovery and the problem with the leaking brakes. Got given the very clear message that they were less than interested in receiving the bike, and that they had loads of bikes with the issue, waiting for parts on backorder with bmw, mine would go to the back of the queue. Lots of sighs, teeth sucking, couldn't be less interested if they tried.

I then called AJ who were fine to take the bike and have a look over it, so that is where it has gone. I mentioned the backorder issue, they had no knowledge of there being any issues, we shall see.

Doesn't seem to matter how many times I try and engage with Barrie Robson York I always seem to get a poor experience. Crazy considering they are about 5 miles from my house, AJ are nearer 30.

Its also weird that two BMW dealers give a completely different appraisal of the (potentially very serious) situation with the calipers.

To be fair, for a £20k premium bike, you do expect better and it can ruin the whole experience for you. Hopefully your issues are resolved soon and you can put this experience in the past and start enjoying your bike.

exactly.... when spending 20k u shouldn’t really just wiping the problems away as they will never be fixed and could be life threatening...

Yam's blew the crank and the gearbox. Slightly more significant issues. But the 2020 is pretty much the same bike so should be safe enough (post fixes/recalls).

Must admit I’d find it hard to say no if I was offered a good deal on a 2020 R1M against my M Sport

R1M for track only, fair enough, for anything else not worth even contemplating imo, ugliness rips right oot it and it’s one of the uncomfiest beasts ye could swing yer leg over. My opinion only of course

Daz

R1M for track only, fair enough, for anything else not worth even contemplating imo, ugliness rips right oot it and it’s one of the uncomfiest beasts ye could swing yer leg over. My opinion only of course

Daz
Tried sitting on the new CBRRRR-RRRRRRRR at the show, I think we may have a new winner for worst on road (unless you have jockey legs).

Just buy adjustable foot pegs for the RR and you will see what is comfort on the road

Owkay ... my brand new K67 with 500km on the odo also has the leaking calipers.
I ran it in last week and today we started stripping the bike when I noticed brakefluid on the rims.
And yes ... at the bottom of the right caliper there was a drop of fluid dangling and about 1/4th of the wheel had a liquid-trail in the dust.
Plan is to replace them anyway with Beringer calipers, but for such a bike this is not OK!

Owkay ... my brand new K67 with 500km on the odo also has the leaking calipers.
I ran it in last week and today we started stripping the bike when I noticed brakefluid on the rims.
And yes ... at the bottom of the right caliper there was a drop of fluid dangling and about 1/4th of the wheel had a liquid-trail in the dust.
Plan is to replace them anyway with Beringer calipers, but for such a bike this is not OK!
Get them fixed under warranty before you fit the replacements.

- Alex

Back