Gen4: check your brake calipers. Leakage. Danger.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was going to have a quick run on mine this morning but noticed there is a damp patch at the rear of the rhs caliper below the pads. Bmw recovering the bike on monday (they would have recovered it today but I have better things to be doing).

without going through the whole thread,do they know the reason why they are leaking? casting defect,banjo bolt,or just a simple crush washer issue?

ahh ok,sounds like a complete caliper fail then in machining or casting,or just very poorly put together

I've just watched some classic engineering videos from 40s thru 70s over the last few nights on YT...how can major manufacturers today get something so simple so wrong with all the technology available.. excluding the electronics braking systems are incredibly simple...

Some of these are excellent and well worth a watch...

https://youtu.be/KRY1oRC01hE

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

All sounds like a case of BMW asking Brembo to make calipers to BMW spec,but Brembo say no,Hayes say "yes please master-anything you ask"!!!

It's a shame because the new caliper is brilliant ,assuming it doesn't leak.

Had a very thorough check on my calipers last night using a torch to see if any fluid shined up. Mine are dry at the moment but will keep an eye on them, bike has only covered 140 miles from new mind.

Had a very thorough check on my calipers last night using a torch to see if any fluid shined up. Mine are dry at the moment but will keep an eye on them, bike has only covered 140 miles from new mind.
Don’t think mileage has anything to do with it bud, mine has 9 miles on it

Don’t think mileage has anything to do with it bud, mine has 9 miles on it

Ah ok bud, will keep an eye then every time I pop into the garage. It's a shame because the feel of the brakes is definitely better than the Brembo's on my previous gen bikes, less snatchy which I like.

How did it go ?

Still a day to go. Great little track and quite technical, a definite alternative to cartegena or Almeria at this time of year. It eats tyres, I'll have got through 2 fronts and 3 rears. I'm loving the bike, no complaints with the suspension or brakes, though the feel of them took a few sessions to get used to.

Still a day to go. Great little track and quite technical, a definite alternative to cartegena or Almeria at this time of year. It eats tyres, I'll have got through 2 fronts and 3 rears. I'm loving the bike, no complaints with the suspension or brakes, though the feel of them took a few sessions to get used to.
Good to hear !
Assume you run OEM ddc right?

After cleaning mine almost 3 weeks ago today before a ride cleaned it up as still was a little “sweaty” on the right and on the left close to have a drop of fluid.

But after ride nothing and no issues.

Anyway new caliper should come soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After cleaning mine almost 3 weeks ago today before a ride cleaned it up as still was a little “sweaty” on the right and on the left close to have a drop of fluid.

But after ride nothing and no issues.

Anyway new caliper should come soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you replacing with OEM under warranty?

Has BMW confirmed what the actual problem is with them for those who are impacted?

Weird outcome this morning. BMW recovery scheduled to collect the bike at 9am, all good. Typically they will recover it to the nearest dealer, which for me is York, not AJ where I get all my work done. However, it is often possible to specify where the bike is to be recovered to.

Before the bike was collected I called up York to explain about the recovery and the problem with the leaking brakes. Got given the very clear message that they were less than interested in receiving the bike, and that they had loads of bikes with the issue, waiting for parts on backorder with bmw, mine would go to the back of the queue. Lots of sighs, teeth sucking, couldn't be less interested if they tried.

I then called AJ who were fine to take the bike and have a look over it, so that is where it has gone. I mentioned the backorder issue, they had no knowledge of there being any issues, we shall see.

Doesn't seem to matter how many times I try and engage with Barrie Robson York I always seem to get a poor experience. Crazy considering they are about 5 miles from my house, AJ are nearer 30.

Back