Gen4: check your brake calipers. Leakage. Danger.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing to do with early generations or not. Reading on the German forum as well as in some French speaking I read that this issue concerns hays calipers.
Also affecting GS and RT models.
Point is that all the parts on stock are from same design therefore these could also leak.
Bikes with over 10000 km also showed this defect.

Apparently a new design which addresses the issue might be available on mid February (the issue is recorded as from early 2019). Just shows how long to solve this.

For the RT and GS they have the luck that they can retrofit the 1200’s calipers but for the new RR there is no direct alternative.

Recommend checking with your dealers on this. Find the most suitable solution for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys check your calipers !!!!!!
Mine are leaking. The bike hasn't been ridden since end of October. It has been in TWICE to have the fluid changed on my request to a higher temp one.
So at first I just thought they did a poor job of wiping the excess away. I wiped it all away and now showing signs of re appearing.
It is weeping from under the banjo and running down the outside off the caliper. The near side seems to be worse than the other.
Off side not so bad but is wet under banjo
IMG-20200127-162717.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nearside banjo wet underneath
IMG-20200127-162506.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Caliper bolt removed to show where it collects before running down
IMG-20200127-162224-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wiped clean to see how long it takes to return
IMG-20200127-162352.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Guys check your calipers !!!!!!
Mine are leaking. The bike hasn't been ridden since end of October. It has been in TWICE to have the fluid changed on my request to a higher temp one.
So at first I just thought they did a poor job of wiping the excess away. I wiped it all away and now showing signs of re appearing.
It is weeping from under the banjo and running down the outside off the caliper. The near side seems to be worse than the other.
Off side not so bad but is wet under banjo
IMG-20200127-162717.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nearside banjo wet underneath
IMG-20200127-162506.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Caliper bolt removed to show where it collects before running down
IMG-20200127-162224-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wiped clean to see how long it takes to return
IMG-20200127-162352.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks like it's just the sealing ring leaking. No big deal really and I won't sending it to the dealer to change a copper washer if that's the case

Really !! Your not worried about fluid leaking out constantly and potentially getting on your brake discs.

Won't be leaking constantly if you change the copper sealing ring, if that's the issue. Different if it's the piston seals leaking and then yes, I'll get BMW to do it.

One more case of leaking calipers from the guy in Sweden. He says it happens on lower pressure.

Just had a call from my BMW dealer as bike is in for first service and leaking front brake but not from the seals from the banjo washers, there is a recall pack in progress for all Gen4 bikes so wait for the call

Set the bike up in pits this morning to find quite a bit of fluid on the rims. Banjos seem fine but wiped finger underneath caliper and surprised how much was there, so must be the pistons.
Not what you want to see before going on track but have done 2 sessions now and all seem dry.

Set the bike up in pits this morning to find quite a bit of fluid on the rims. Banjos seem fine but wiped finger underneath caliper and surprised how much was there, so must be the pistons.
Not what you want to see before going on track but have done 2 sessions now and all seem dry.
Keep an eye on them! Mine are still dry.

Are you in Monteblanco now?

Fluid could damage the carbon rims coating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine were leaking from the banjos but now the pots are doing it.

This is mad....I've browsed this thread here and there and some stuff in mags and the US site...so what is the problem here, has anyone sussed it out yet....Banjos ...Washers ?.. and caliper bodies then is it machining of pots/pistons ? what is wrong

Seals seem to be inadequate.
Happened to the GS owners too I believe.

- Alex

Last edited:
Back