Gen4: check your brake calipers. Leakage. Danger.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its typical of us Brits....we go where there is good service. Before even contemplating where to buy my bike from I visited 5 dealers - Some over 90 mins away but in the end I based my purchasing decision on my experience within branch followed by my annual ride there for a service....And Cotswold won. I now know any problems I have becuase i've established that rapport with them will be (hopefully) resolved.

Interesting to hear that there are 'loads' of them mind.....fingers crossed AJ can resolve them for you...March is around the corner which means its getting warmer! ....lol

Just had the call that both brake calipers will be replaced by BMW under warranty (I believe that the policy has now changed to replace the entire caliper instead of components). But they are on backorder so no idea when they will be arriving.

In the meantime I have been offered a s1000r until my bike is fixed. Last time I was on a r I got 3 points argh!

Just had the call that both brake calipers will be replaced by BMW under warranty (I believe that the policy has now changed to replace the entire caliper instead of components). But they are on backorder so no idea when they will be arriving.

In the meantime I have been offered a s1000r until my bike is fixed. Last time I was on a r I got 3 points argh!

you can if it would be better request a car Andy

Daz

Its typical of us Brits....we go where there is good service. Before even contemplating where to buy my bike from I visited 5 dealers - Some over 90 mins away but in the end I based my purchasing decision on my experience within branch followed by my annual ride there for a service....And Cotswold won. I now know any problems I have becuase i've established that rapport with them will be (hopefully) resolved.

Interesting to hear that there are 'loads' of them mind.....fingers crossed AJ can resolve them for you...March is around the corner which means its getting warmer! ....lol

I think youre greatly exaggerating. prolly 1-2% of BMW owners are like you or people on this forum, rest are just having what they're having.

i dont go to dealers for bikes,but for car,nearest 1 gets my buisness :)

BBB - I was quoting Soofs previous post and use of the word 'loads'. Brakes are a safety item and in light of first faults found with the gen 4 I think they have done the right thing to actually acknowledge and do something about it. Replacing the whole caliper should give the customer peace of mind that when they wanna stop they will... I've messaged my sales manager asking to confirmation BMW communication to dealers.

Last edited:
I think youre greatly exaggerating. prolly 1-2% of BMW owners are like you or people on this forum, rest are just having what they're having.

It was Barrie Robson York that said "loads" so we're just quoting them. You got that right?

Dealer wise, I have been very lucky. I am 60 miles from CW in Dorchester (Now Royal Enfield dealers as they didn't want a corporate image) and 30 miles from Bahnstormers. Both gave great and give great service so CW won sometimes for the better ride, Bahnstormers for same top service but time constrained. Great coffee and chocolate biscuits from both!! :triumphant:

BBB - I was quoting Soofs previous post and use of the word 'loads'. Brakes are a safety item and in light of first faults found with the gen 4 I think they have done the right thing to actually acknowledge and do something about it. Replacing the whole caliper should give the customer peace of mind that when they wanna stop they will... I've messaged my sales manager asking to confirmation BMW communication to dealers.

If I was BMW, I would just amend user manual to say if you see a leak - wipe it with a piece of clothes.

Last edited:
Just picked my bike up from the dealers in Spain today after having the oil cooler and software update done. Not impressed at all. To start with they charged me to replace the broken shark gill panel on the right side which they told me would be done under warranty. My bike is filthy, they’ve had it 3 months and not even washed it in that time.
i emailed them 2 weeks ago to check the brakes to see if they were leaking and didn’t get a reply. When I spoke to the service advisor today he said they checked the brakes and they were all good.
Got the bike home and checked the left calipers to find fluid underneath it and the dust seal for the master cylinder bleed nipple missing.

Going to clean the calipers properly tomorrow and check them again but the bike will be back in the UK after Jerez at the weekend, so I’ll take it to East Kilbride and get them to do the brakes while I’m at work.

Can see me looking at the 2020 R1M soon...

Are you replacing with OEM under warranty?

Yes with OEM under warranty.
First because BMW won’t officially support other brand or set also because bike is calibrated to the one we have.

Second because if I do I need to do a full inspection with the local traffic authority. The OEM brakes different but brakes well I had my share of experience with it on track and can say already passed the difficult part of the learning curve coming from Brembos on Italian bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm at Cartagena, still no leaks after day 1.

Going to swap them with Brembo RX4 when I'm back anyways.

Yes with OEM under warranty.
First because BMW won’t officially support other brand or set also because bike is calibrated to the one we have.

Second because if I do I need to do a full inspection with the local traffic authority. The OEM brakes different but brakes well I had my share of experience with it on track and can say already passed the difficult part of the learning curve coming from Brembos on Italian bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, you're from Swiss, they make it difficult for no reason. A friend of mine had to replace Akra on M5 with original in order to register it there. Cost a lot of moneys to him.

Hayes calipers are surprisingly good. I wouldn't touch them I think, but I do have spare Brembos and bunch of pads for them lying around.

Calipers

My Brembo GP4-RX calipers are going straight on and helpfully they are compatible with the Gen 4 OEM brake lines.

Back