Metzeler RR K3’s Track Pressure

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJK

Reaction score
Just a little advice please, what cold track pressures should I be running for K3’s in the intermediate group on a ZX6R? I contacted Metzeler and they recommend 32 front and 38 rear which to me seems really high for track! I questioned there response and they responded by saying the K3’s are predominately road bias tyre so pressures are high! The Michelin RS are a more road bias tyre I have used in the past and they say 31.5F and 27R.

Many Thanks

I get where they are coming from...they could over heat with too little pressure. But I'd still run 32/32

FYI, pressure is all about the carcass construction and heat management.

Pirelli and therefore Metzeler (same company) use a soft carcass which needs support in the form of pressure. Michelin, Dunlop usually have a harder carcass and don't need the pressure to maintain shape. You're trying to keep the shape so they turn well, whilst also getting decent squish into the tarmac, without seeing surface temps spike and rip the rubber off the carcass.

I used the Power RS at Snetterton at 28psi and still couldn't get the heat into the carcass to prevent cold tear. K3's I can't recall how they did but again, in the UK the battle is with cold tear more than anything especially when you're not using warmers.

I looked at the Metzeler literature and they are for DOT tyres/slicks etc so to my understanding the K3's are not on there. I really appreciate the advice and probably worth starting with recommended pressures and working down from there as I am aiming for late March if the weather is okay and the temperatures will still be down then. Another good point ask the tyre support guys who are there, Cheers.

I've just used the K3s on my Gen 4 at Alcarras in October and ran 26 rear 32 front off the warmers without any issues

Metzeler

Stick to the pressure ranges listed within the link in Post #4 and you will be fine. Just keep an eye on tyre wear throughout the day and adjust pressures accordingly. If in doubt speak to the trackside tyre supplier during the day and they will be able to provide you with ample advice based on the track and weather conditions.

25-28 rear and 30-35 front off the warmers. Minus 3psi for cold

e272371618e65cb53245ba97fb180f35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was the email I received from Metzeler :-
Thank you for your recent email.
We would recommend the following Track day pressures in Cold;
Front-32 Psi
Rear-38 Psi
Kind Regards
Mannie
Contact Centre
Pirelli Metzeler Moto UK

Difficult to find any kind of consistency

Seems to be the case as the pressures they emailed me are miles out compared to your chart and what pressures you and others seem to run on track! I think like people have advised it will be ask the tyre guy on the day for me.

Re: Metzeler

You will probably find that that’s nothing more than just a typo.

I queried that pressure in a second email as I thought it must be a typo however there response was :-

Thank you for your reply.I can confirm that the Track days pressures are set on the Metzeler Racetec RR K3 are what we set them on track when cold.
This is due to the compound being for mainly for Road use, rather than the softer compounds of K1/K2 respectively.
Kind Regards
Mannie
Contact Centre

Back