So many HP4s on ebay...are they a good buy as a road bike?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick H.

Reaction score
What do you think...11 grand well spent? Or should I get a 2015 RR for a grand less? I'd use it for twatting around London, day trips, light touring, the odd track day. A good friend of mine is an independent BMW technician, so that would help. Obviously I don't need an HP4, but it's pretty, and a bit historic and all that.

If you look after it the hp4 will hold its value better. If you want to just enjoy riding and putting miles on it, the gen 3 is a better option, and a better ride. Think I sold mine at the right time if they are retailing at £11k now (not looked).

There are 3 HP4s on autotrader now, cheapest is 51k.

I'm wondering who will ever buy those.

The cynical part of me wants to see the price plummetting to 15k range. That will be fun, maybe I will buy one.

Hmmm...the Gen 3 seems to be winning the thread. In what way is it a better ride? (Sorry for the basic question, but you've got to start somewhere!)

BBB - we are talking about the Gen2 HP4 not the HP4 Race but I agree with your comments.

The Ddc on the gen3 is evolved better than the HP4 Ddc to give a smoother ride. The gen3 is arguably roomier as a bike, and it will likely have the blipper if it is a sport, whereas the HP4 only had the quickshifter.

Also the dash has more functionality on the gen3 with range and banking angle display etc.

Last edited:
I've ridden the Gen3 when my HP4 has been in for service(s). Prefer the HP4, but then I'm riding standard Gen3's. HP4 more of an event. Mine's potentially for sale..............

Back