Best Tail Tidy and Why? (GEN 4)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say it's the other way round, an 8x6 plate is perfect on my tail tidy never had a ticket for my plate...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

its all that the mid wales police go for, £100 fine everytime, 100% not worth the effort. :)

It's a good question about the 3 year MOT thing. I suppose it is not illegal to have the indicators incorrectly spaced, but it is an MOT failure, so you could arguably run it with the close spacing until MOT time and then change them back to OEM for testing.

I had this on my old K75. Indicators were a fail so I taped up all the lights, got a daytime MOT, went home, took the all the tape off the lights, carry on (but still on a daytime MOT).

Regarding plate size, its not the actual plate size but the size of the characters and spacing. I have had much smaller plates than the standard size with a private plate using the correctly sized and spaced characters and no problems whatsoever and no MOT fail either.

It's a good question about the 3 year MOT thing. I suppose it is not illegal to have the indicators incorrectly spaced, but it is an MOT failure, so you could arguably run it with the close spacing until MOT time and then change them back to OEM for testing.

I had this on my old K75. Indicators were a fail so I taped up all the lights, got a daytime MOT, went home, took the all the tape off the lights, carry on (but still on a daytime MOT).

Regarding plate size, its not the actual plate size but the size of the characters and spacing. I have had much smaller plates than the standard size with a private plate using the correctly sized and spaced characters and no problems whatsoever and no MOT fail either.

Yes! Same experience here I have two 3 character plates, correctly spaces and correct character sizes just the plate is small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave up with small plates on road bikes a few years back after some mates got pulled, now kind of got used to the tail tidy / standard plate combo.

The smaller plate / standard spacing option’s something I’ve not considered until now but I think I’ll get one made. Seems that some innovations are slow to reach the leafy lanes of Cheshire - lol!

My enduro bike’s got a small plate on as the stock one looks plain foolish - train of thought being I’d be unlucky to encounter the law when semi-submerged in a bog in mid-Wales!

My 8 x 6 has std size letters... maybe thats why I've never been ticketed... who knows, pot luck sometimes with the cops.

My 8 x 6 has std size letters... maybe thats why I've never been ticketed... who knows, pot luck sometimes with the cops.

or popping a wheelie so that they cant see the number plate right?? lol

Haha..great minds....I done that during my test when I was out of sight of the examiner...lol

Haha..great minds....I done that during my test when I was out of sight of the examiner...lol

Oh god yes! Some of the younger lot won’t get this one!!

After I done my loop over both the local bridges, 75% of which was out of sight to him, he instructed me to drive to Clydeshore Road and wait.

He was on foot and turned up a few mins later, walked past me up the hill, done the hill start and emergency stop...I instinctively crashed the box...right do it again.... same thing, stern warning from he gave me a third try, same thing !...

He looked at me and shook his head, right you go back to the test centre and I'll be there in 10 minutes, he sauntered in to the car park, fag in mouth...

Passed..

Mind you two of my pals were wiped out aged under 18, so it needed tightened up big time.

After I done my loop over both the local bridges, 75% of which was out of sight to him, he instructed me to drive to Clydeshore Road and wait.

He was on foot and turned up a few mins later, walked past me up the hill, done the hill start and emergency stop...I instinctively crashed the box...right do it again.... same thing, stern warning from he gave me a third try, same thing !...

He looked at me and shook his head, right you go back to the test centre and I'll be there in 10 minutes, he sauntered in to the car park, fag in mouth...

Passed..

Mind you two of my pals were wiped out aged under 18, so it needed tightened up big time.

Tragic about your mates - similar stories for many of us I’d imagine.

Your tale’s given me a right laugh though 😂. Mine was a right old giffer, only saw me for about 10% of the time but probably not deaf enough to mistake the Micron on my RD125LC!

NRC, just need a bike now.lol

ieP8y20.jpg

Back