I'm thinking of a group ride in Spain mid-late May 2020 - do you want to join me?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSmooth

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Would anyone like to do a riding tour of Spain for a week or so on their S1000 after the middle or towards the end of May 2020? I'm not anyone's tour guide, nor am I a control-freak or considered weird. I'm in my late 50's in my body but still 25 years old in my head!

I've ridden through Spain and Portugal several times before - Pyrenees, Picos, northern Portugal, Catalunya etc. I have really enjoyed the cameraderie of riding with like-minded people who enjoy riding fast and safe. Say 200-250 miles per day on their equivalent fast B roads and deserted A roads. Aim for a town for around 6 pm, drinking and taking the piss & staying in cheapish hotels - rock up in a town, seeing what accommodation is available and grabbing some rooms. Ride, drink, eat, party/sleep - Repeat the next day in another town somewhere else further up the road, but always ready to go on the bikes for 9 am. Alternatively get an AirBnb in a convenient town and ride out in different directions every day.

I was thinking of taking the ferry first to northern Spain (Santander/Bilbao) and either taking a similar ferry home or blasting home via France depending upon the ferry crossing dates etc.

I haven't built an itinerary yet and am open to ideas, but if anyone out there has ever wanted to tour a bit of Spain when the weather is warm and dry and ride great roads and have some fun, drop me a PM and perhaps we can have a chat?

Steve
aka Mr Smooth

Hey,

I live in Madrid and would probably join you for a couple of legs of your journey, some mega mountain roads around madrid, definitely look at Segovia, Avilla and Toledo there is a decent bike cafe at Cruz Verde in the mountains.

Anyway let me know your plans [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, how much money should you put aside for a trip like this, basically how much does it roughly cost including ferry, fuel, accommodation and food etc? Thanks.

Interesting, how much money should you put aside for a trip like this, basically how much does it roughly cost including ferry, fuel, accommodation and food etc? Thanks.

Good question Schuey, thank you. Here’s a rough calculation.

Ferry UK to Spain one way. Availability is poor at present might have to leave mid week to guarantee crossing
£195 per person based on four sharing a cabin with four beds. Includes 4 bikes on board. The ferry timetables for this route are weird and it isn’t as straight forward as booking a return crossing a week apart.

Hotels 3 star usually £40 each per night twin bedded rooms sharing
Fuel two fuel stops per day say £35 total
Food and drink £40 per day? Coffee, light lunch, evening meal and beer etc
Ferry or Eurotunnel from France to UK about £45 per biker includes bike.

Assuming seven days riding @£115 per day plus ferries at both ends = £1045
Doesn’t include breakdown recovery insurance on continental EU or any French toll roads if you want to take one.

I took a ferry from Portsmouth to Santander. Cost depends on whether you want a cabin or are happy to kip in the bar area. I got a cabin in June last year that was around £400 food and drinks on ferry expensive (captive market...). Its a 24 hour crossing.

Service stations in Spain are a little different to that in the UK. You can get a reasonable coffee and grab a bottle of water in most along with a beer and Tapas... yes the spanish do have one or two at lunch time and set of back in the road [emoji23].

Food is relatively cheap, sometimes to the point you cant make it that cheap...

I rode from Santander along the north coast to San Sebastian to stay for a few days before Heading down to Madrid.

Budget would depend on what you want to do, where you want to stay and eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the breakdown chaps, I'll have a think about it. I do two trips to Nurburgring per year in my car, with a group of friends and then we have the family holiday as well, so this might not go down too well with the wife lol!

I've been looking at this with a mate as well so will be following this thread...however keep me posted and may see how timings pan out.

Back