Top yoke nut

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cr500kev

Reaction score
Just pulled bike out to let it run for few mins
And notice my top yoke nut has cracked lol.
Pretty pissed to be honest. Is this a common fault. Phoned up bmw said they will cover it under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cafb1af9f1ebd65c3b47773ddd454183.jpg

Last edited:
Not common but it happened to mine. Replaced under warranty with no quibbles.

I’d say it’s caused by a technician torquing up the top yoke fork pinch bolts before the top nut...

jamie you are probably right.
i was going to take bike to bmw in van but after borrowing van fuel ect be cheaper to just purchuse nut and fit myself.
i know the torque settings for the m28 alloy nut is 100nm
question is whats best method to fit without marking the nut ? would masking tape work?
6pt /12pt socket which is best for the job ?

jamie you are probably right.
i was going to take bike to bmw in van but after borrowing van fuel ect be cheaper to just purchuse nut and fit myself.
i know the torque settings for the m28 alloy nut is 100nm
question is whats best method to fit without marking the nut ? would masking tape work?
6pt /12pt socket which is best for the job ?

If it’s under warranty they will collect it.

I would use a 6 point socket and try a single wrap of masking tape if you can get the clearance. Concentrate on keeping the torque wrench parallel to the nut surface and your hand on the torque wrench handle with your other hand pushing the socket firmly down onto the nut setting the torque wrench to 100 Nm (normally I’d do 80 Nm first and then set it to 100Nm but too much risk in the slippage)

Last edited:
Yep I’ll give it a go next week when get my new torque wrench and get a 6 Pt socket
Thanks chaps [emoji106]

I used the correct size multi point socket with a nitrile glove (the sort mechanics/nurses/tattoo artists use) stretched over the nut. Works a treat keeping the nut nice and unmarked

Nitrile Glove is a good idea thanks for that [emoji106]
Sorry but another question when fitting oem top yoke nut what socket size is required 35mm or 36mm socket gonna have to order online as not got big sockets or 32mm

Back