Put new dashboard of Gen4 on previous

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocS1000RR

Reaction score
Do you know if it's possible to put the new dashboard tft in the older version?

I know it's possible in previus GS models, ia possible like this in the s1000rr model?

Thanks!!

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

i doubt it as the electronics/canbus system will be different,as will the connectors no doubt.

Just use an I2M...they are plug and play.
BMW: S1000RR 09-14, S1000RR HP4, S1000RR HL (Not HP4 but with central unit HP4 mapped), S1000RR 15-18 (central unit HP)

If it's gen3 it does require HP ecu

Just use an I2M...they are plug and play.

thats what i was going to say afterwards,but couldn't be arsed :)

BMWboy,are you saying the i2m isn't plug+play on a stock gen3? not sure thats right,pretty sure it is,bit like the alpha dash,fits stock bikes out the box.

thats what i was going to say afterwards,but couldn't be arsed :)

BMWboy,are you saying the i2m isn't plug+play on a stock gen3? not sure thats right,pretty sure it is,bit like the alpha dash,fits stock bikes out the box.
I don't know, just noticed extra text in brackets on their website for Gen3 version.

ah ok,just had a quick look and you could be right,shows a vid keeping stock dash on also (which is crazy).this was on a gen 1 bike though so not sure about gen3?

the alpha dash is definatley plug+play though....

But the i2m is awfull compared with the gen 4 dashboard.

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

ah ok,just had a quick look and you could be right,shows a vid keeping stock dash on also (which is crazy).this was on a gen 1 bike though so not sure about gen3?

the alpha dash is definatley plug+play though....
Are you sure you don't need race ECU for Motec dash?

Motec? i've no idea,i cant see why you would though,but the gen 3 ECU is different to gen1+2,where you needed a race ECU upgrade to be able to change the electronic parameters for TC,wheelie etc,i dont know anyone that has changed the gen3 ECU for a HP upgrade (maybe WSBK spec? but i know Alpha is based on 2d data logging),and the Alpha plug+play dash is 2d based,which my bike was when i got it,that was full logging capabilities,lambda,suspension+gyro box)

Motec? i've no idea,i cant see why you would though,but the gen 3 ECU is different to gen1+2,where you needed a race ECU upgrade to be able to change the electronic parameters for TC,wheelie etc,i dont know anyone that has changed the gen3 ECU for a HP upgrade (maybe WSBK spec? but i know Alpha is based on 2d data logging),and the Alpha plug+play dash is 2d based,which my bike was when i got it,that was full logging capabilities,lambda,suspension+gyro box)
Ah sorry, I was replying thinking about putting Alpha racing dash on Gen4

Dash

Ah sorry, I was replying thinking about putting Alpha racing dash on Gen4

The only dash listed on the alpha Racing website at the moment for the Gen 4 is the MoTeC C125 (as a spare part for the M RCK).

Re: Dash

AIM has some nice dashes and not too expensive. With their specific connectors you will be OK. I had the MXL2 and now the MXS (color). There is also the MXP (color) which is larger at 5", and MXG(color) which is huge for a motorcycle (7" I think). You can use the Street version which is appx 40-50% cheaper or the ones with full telemetry.

Re: Dash

AIM has some nice dashes and not too expensive. With their specific connectors you will be OK. I had the MXL2 and now the MXS (color). There is also the MXP (color) which is larger at 5", and MXG(color) which is huge for a motorcycle (7" I think). You can use the Street version which is appx 40-50% cheaper or the ones with full telemetry.

Oh you swine!!!! Now I have to have one of those MXS Stradas! Any idea how much effort is involved in fitting them, considering my bike is completely standard electronics wise?

are you sure Aim do specific connectors for bmw's? i know they specific kawasaki ones,and ECU connection cables for most bikes,but didn't think they did plug+play for others,they even state leaving the oem dash in place even when using a race dash.i did connect the mxl2 to my gen2 with a simple wiring mod,but the gen3 has a lot more going on in the dash so not sure how easy it is.
you've done it Dr,why not put up how you did it,help a brother out :)

they are very very good dashes/software,but

^^yeah that, I had a look on the back of this thread today. £900 is great for the functionality...but I suspect you've gotta pay to get a competent install if you're not savvy with that sort of thing, and then it's a case of is it butchering the loom?
Also, does it actually datalog out of the box? Or is that an additional unit? I think it's the latter, so more cost.

I2M is more £££'s but seems like a more complete and PnP solution.

some are loggers Alex,others just dashes.to be fair,the mxl2 wiring onto the gen2 was quite straight forward,,you only need connect 4 wires,can high+low,neautral+live,and a loop on the switch gear.only real issue was with the modes,race,road,track etc was just numbers not names.however,Aim still reccomended leaving the stock dash in situ,which is well, pointless.

i'd have concerns on the gen3 though as theres a lot more info coming through the dash that i'm not sure the Aim dashes can read or actually show on the dash,otherwise they wouldn't just have the kawasaki range of P+P dashes,they'd have other models also.

so doc,be very good if you could enlighten us as to what+how it's done.

They have a CANbus option...but like you say why not have the adapters for specific bikes? They'd get way more sales...

Back