Superstock legal wheels for Gen 4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boggysv

Reaction score
My friend recently ordered a gen4 with carbon wheels but now plans on racing superstock class.

We dont think carbon wheels are allowed?

Are the HP wheels legal for the bike? do they fit? anyone with pictures/examples would be great.

If not, where can he find the original wheels? Local dealer only brings in the M-spec i think.

Superstock Legal Wheels for Gen 4

If the bike is going to be used in the British Superstock Championship then you can not use carbon fibre wheels. You can however use the HP/M forged wheels as they are considered OEM according to the MCRCB technical regulations. For other championships like MRO you will have to check the rules and regulations governing the specific classes.

Regardless, it is strongly recommended that you check the regulations of whichever club you are racing with and build the bike accordingly. Most rulebooks are available to download online from the respective race organisation’s (MSRV, Bemsee et al) websites.

Re: Superstock Legal Wheels for Gen 4

Thanks for the response.

We are still waiting for 2020 regulations to be published for our national series, but heard it will be very much based on superstock class. I looked at some bikes from smith and bathams racing, and even the stk bikes (standard calipers and fork tubes), looks like are using aftermarket wheels.

Just want to start shopping around for either HP wheels, OZ, or in the worst case, the original OEM wheel.

The teams running BMWs in SSTK generally just use the HP/M forged wheels. For the BSB class they all use Oz Racing wheels.

I was told yesterday that if the bike was an m/sport,then the carbon wheels must be used.

It will be interesting to see what the new 2020 regulations state. To date they have always been banned on the grounds of both safety and cost. Technically speaking you could argue that under the current SSTK 2019 rules that the M carbon fibre wheels are legal as it only states that wheels must be as originally produced by the manufacturer at the time of sale into the dealer network on the homologated machine. So theoretically if you bought an M Sport for racing they could be used. I suspect the 2020 regulations will clarify the matter shortly. Nonetheless, it will be a good advantage to have over the other manufacturers who are still mostly selling bikes with OEM cast wheels if they are indeed going to be allowed.

Our series will mimic Asian Super Bike regulations, but this is only the 2019 copy. It seems pretty much like superstock rules, std caliper and only fork cartridge kite.
Page 52, section 2.2.31 does not specifically ban carbon wheels, just that it has to be homologated.
http://asiaroadracing.com/arrcdata/doc/RegBook-arrc19.pdf

The 2019 FIM list of homologated bikes include the S1000RR Feb19 until present, but makes no distinction between base model or M-spec.
http://www.fim-live.com/en/library/download/75547/no_cache/1/

So...here we are.

Unfortunately, few on this Forum will have much, if any, experience or knowledge regarding the Asia Road Racing Championship. You may want to contact alpha Racing as they built the 2019 ASB1000 championship winning bike. They may be able to help you with interpreting the rules for racing in your part of the world to help you build a competitive bike.

https://alpharacing.com/

I was told yesterday that if the bike was an m/sport,then the carbon wheels must be used.
Thats an eye opener. I can't see that continuing to be the case as apart from the advantage of having them; it would be horribly expensive to replace them if they were damaged.

Apparently,this particular team were also told they would also need carbon wheels for wets as they could not use forged.
As for advantage,all the other manufacturers need to do is homologate carbon wheels.

Met alpha guy yesterday during the sepang EWC practice/qualifying.
He said that the carbon wheel is to be used for STK race.

Now I'm thinking perhaps I could sell my carbon wheel to my friend so he will have two sets now, then use the monnies to get 2 sets of HP wheels?
Or to keep the carbon wheel for the odd trackday?

decisions decisions...

The carbon wheels feel awesome on the new bike but I'm an expert at breaking stuff and they look like a money pit waiting to happen! It still doesn't seem logical to me; loads of people will buy the stock bike and spec the extra 'M' bits that they want so I can't see how they can enforce it?

Last edited:
Surely its ANY homologated wheel sold with this model of bike? I.e. you could use Cast if you wanted.

- Alex

It will all depend on the exact wording used in the rules and regulations of the championship that you are competing in. I certainly wouldn’t want to be using carbon fibre wheels for race use.

Race regs.
But I've read that most are selling as they don't want to waste the money on crashing carbos when there's a limited performance difference.

I'd like to see and race regs where they have been banned

- Alex

Last edited:
Superstock Legal Wheels For Gen 4

Phil Crowe recently did a weight comparison of the M Carbon Fibre wheels and the M Forged wheels and there was hardly any difference at all between the two. I know which ones I would prefer to race with.

Back