Must have mods?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schuey

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So whilst some of us are waiting for our inbound bikes, what’s your opinion on the must have mods and protection accessories?

Thanks.

It depends where you begin and what model bike you have (2009-2018 or 2019). If you have forged/carbon wheels then you go for suspension, if you do not go for the wheels. Then exhaust system (weight/power), engine protection, better brake pads and so on. It all depends of what you intend to do with your bike.

Having had my M Sport a few months now I'd say must haves are rad/cooler guards and full exhaust system but depending on what you will use it for then I'd add a decent luggage rack (I've got a modified Ventura rack) or some crash protection for the track and the BMW blank kit that comes with the mirror and number plate blanks. Again if tracking I'd plan to change the pads and fluid first as well.
If it's just for the road only, I'd go with exhaust, rad guards and a decent luggage rack.

tyre pen. :) or

venture shield. before even going on the road
rad guards. before leaving bmw
rearsets as the oe ones are no good for me.
levers.
tail tidy.

Thanks, what is the situation with a tail tidy on these Gen 4's? Given the whole lighting system is integrated now?

It depends where you begin and what model bike you have (2009-2018 or 2019). If you have forged/carbon wheels then you go for suspension, if you do not go for the wheels. Then exhaust system (weight/power), engine protection, better brake pads and so on. It all depends of what you intend to do with your bike.

Having had my M Sport a few months now I'd say must haves are rad/cooler guards and full exhaust system but depending on what you will use it for then I'd add a decent luggage rack (I've got a modified Ventura rack) or some crash protection for the track and the BMW blank kit that comes with the mirror and number plate blanks. Again if tracking I'd plan to change the pads and fluid first as well.
If it's just for the road only, I'd go with exhaust, rad guards and a decent luggage rack.

Cheers guys, just fast road riding really and occasional track day may be once a year at Donington.

So what exhaust is recommended for full system, Akra is the obvious one but what other options our there? Remus may be?

Do you have a link to the recommended rad/cooler guards?

Also which brand do you recommend for crash protection that looks cool as well as being functional?

Thanks.

Arrow or Akra for my money.
Rad Guards
Adjustable levers if not already specc'd
Engine Covers and chassis savers from GB-Racing
Alpha carbon frame covers (and swingarm if you have deep enough pockets)

What suspension mods do you recommend?

your not looking forward to electric bikes then. :)

Lord no. Like I'm not for obnoxiously loud but its like you've lost something.

Like full belt quick shifter noises are just wonderful

Or with the rapidbike race when you came off high revs it sounded like anti lag.

It's like you knock a 3rd of the enjoyment when all your hear is .....zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZ

I have the GB racing covers on mines and they're good quality and easy to install. Was a shame to cover up those nice bronze covers though.

tyre pen. :) or

venture shield. before even going on the road
rad guards. before leaving bmw
rearsets as the oe ones are no good for me.
levers.
tail tidy.

Edit by Alex: Post didn't work cre

Last edited by a moderator:
I think theres two sides to the answer here...
1) Road riding - Most likely people go for tailtidy, Exhaust, levers rearsets and crash, screen, and Radiator covers
2) Track - Track fairings, full system exhaust, suspension and brakes

Me - I've order high screen, alarm, Evotech tail tidy, radiator covers, TFT screen, Paddock bobbins

I won't use GB covers anymore. Although they are good quality and do the intended job there is I downside. The last two bikes I've had them fitted to have chaffed,worn away areas on the covers.
I'm trying pp tuning aluminium ones this time.

I think theres two sides to the answer here...
1) Road riding - Most likely people go for tailtidy, Exhaust, levers rearsets and crash, screen, and Radiator covers
2) Track - Track fairings, full system exhaust, suspension and brakes

Me - I've order high screen, alarm, Evotech tail tidy, radiator covers, TFT screen, Paddock bobbins

Thanks, with the tail tidy do you use the existing indicators/light setup? Or is it a complete new unit?

Regards to crash protection and guards, which brand do you recommend? I’m aware of R & G and Evotech, any others worth considering?

And was it a TFT screen protector you meant? Which high screen do you recommend? OEM or a good aftermarket product?

Sorry for all the questions, never modified any of my previous bikes so bit of a newbie on this topic.

Thanks, with the tail tidy do you use the existing indicators/light setup? Or is it a complete new unit?

Regards to crash protection and guards, which brand do you recommend? I’m aware of R & G and Evotech, any others worth considering?

And was it a TFT screen protector you meant? Which high screen do you recommend? OEM or a good aftermarket product?

Sorry for all the questions, never modified any of my previous bikes so bit of a newbie on this topic.

If you’re considering rear sets then I’d recommend having a look at the Gilles, available from Calsport - got them on mine any they’re lovely.

I went for an R & G tail tidy because Evotech we’re out of stock at the time, had both on the past and don’t think there’s much difference. Fitting’s a bit tricky with respect to removing the rear plastics which can be easily broken, You Tube’s got some great videos of how to do this so check these out before / during the job.

Back