Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro's and cons Gen 4

Riding
    '15 msport +

Pro's and cons Gen 4

Ive yet to try the gen 4 can we have a diluted pros and cons on the gen 4 over the gen 3 from those who have had both ? Does it warrant the change for the money?
    Speed doesnt kill, its how fast you stop.......

Gen 4

From the test ride I had it is certainly better than the Gen 3 and once setup properly it should be significantly easier to ride fast on track.

https://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthrea...l=1#post135732

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RyS1000RR For This Useful Post:

Riding
    Gen 3&4 Tuono R1

Re: Pro's and cons Gen 4

Be interesting to see others views. Bought my Gen 4 in June and is my first BMW bike. I’ve recently had it on track at Alcarras for 3 days and was blown away by it so much that I’ve sold my Ducati 899 Trioptions track bike and bought a gen 3 track bike. I won’t get a chance to ride it until February at Jerez so would be nice to see others opinions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carsonr6 For This Useful Post:

Re: Gen 4

The Gen 3 felt like a bus compared to the 4, steering and tip-in are worlds apart. Torque is such that 6th gear on the 4 feels like 4th on the earlier bike - which itself was no slouch in the mid range. The 4 doesn’t seem to have that scary top end because it’s got such strong performance lower down, so no big leap at 12k. I preferred the riding position of the 3, more sit-in. Suspension on the 4’s much more refined. TFT and its additional functions are a clear, huge improvement. New model’s much much easier to go quick on without the level of drama that came with the earlier one. I can see that many people might prefer the drama though! 4 sounds crap compared to the 3, worth repeating - crap, even with an end can. Which do I prefer - my new M, absolutely no contest.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RammyRR For This Useful Post:

Riding
    '15 msport +

Quote Originally Posted by Carsonr6 View Post
    Be interesting to see others views. Bought my Gen 4 in June and is my first BMW bike. I’ve recently had it on track at Alcarras for 3 days and was blown away by it so much that I’ve sold my Ducati 899 Trioptions track bike and bought a gen 3 track bike. I won’t get a chance to ride it until February at Jerez so would be nice to see others opinions.
    Does it have oe sussies or aftermarket ?
    Speed doesnt kill, its how fast you stop.......

Riding
    Gen 3&4 Tuono R1

Quote Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
    Does it have oe sussies or aftermarket ?
    OE at the minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
    Ive yet to try the gen 4 can we have a diluted pros and cons on the gen 4 over the gen 3 from those who have had both ? Does it warrant the change for the money?
    I would say it is a very different bike so backward comparisons are going to be subjective.

Feels more like a 600 but goes like a rocket.

I always felt the gen 3 was made for road with a bias towards use on track, whereas the gen 4 feels as though it was made for track and then they put the mirrors on.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to soofsayer For This Useful Post:

ive had 11 and ,15 both were really good the 15 was much better the gen 1 in every way,on the test ride on the gen 4. it turned in much faster ,engine def spun up much quicker I liked the wider bars,pegs about right im 5ft 8in the dash is mint,i didn't like were the wheel thing on the left hand bar was I kept hitting it with my hand,brakes were really good,apart from the name,i would have liked a full belly pan like the 15,i think its a big leap forward from the gen 3,why don't bmw bolt on those nasty looking cats instead welding them

Riding
    S1000RR, 2016, Red

Quote Originally Posted by RammyRR View Post
    The Gen 3 felt like a bus compared to the 4, steering and tip-in are worlds apart. Torque is such that 6th gear on the 4 feels like 4th on the earlier bike - which itself was no slouch in the mid range. The 4 doesn’t seem to have that scary top end because it’s got such strong performance lower down, so no big leap at 12k. I preferred the riding position of the 3, more sit-in. Suspension on the 4’s much more refined. TFT and its additional functions are a clear, huge improvement. New model’s much much easier to go quick on without the level of drama that came with the earlier one. I can see that many people might prefer the drama though! 4 sounds crap compared to the 3, worth repeating - crap, even with an end can. Which do I prefer - my new M, absolutely no contest.
    Your feedback on the sound saddens me
    2016 BMW S1000RR Sport 199bhp (Current)
    2012 BMW S1000RR Sport (Sold)
    2006 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade (Sold)
    1999 Honda CBR600 FX (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Schuey View Post
    Your feedback on the sound saddens me
    I stuck an Akrapovic end can on mine, disconnected the exhaust valve - sounds good now.