Luggage Gen 4 options

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Closer to a 2 minute job for the Gen4.
Remove the 3 allen bolts from the top plate (IIRC 3mm allen key)
Remove the top plate.
Remove the allen bolt from the rear of the mounting apparatus (IIRC 2.5mm allen key)
Unlock the pillion seat mechanism and remove the mounting apparatus.
Re-install the torx bolt that was replaced by the 2.5mm allen bolt when you initially installed the sportrack
Remove the 4 rubber feet from the bottom of the mounting apparatus and re-install in the pillion seat (alternatively, order 4 new feet to keep installed in the pillion seat ~?13 from the dealer)
Re-fit the pillion seat.

If you have installed the sportrack, the process of re-installing the pillion seat is pretty straightforward (and the above will make perfect sense), but IMHO far closer to a leisurely 2 minute job than a 10 second one.

Thanks Andyf
Is luggage always so difficult to get hold of for bmws?
Ordered one of these plates 8 days ago and they've just got back to me now to say its going to be another 4 weeks for delivery! Couldn't get a bmw tank bag either before October?

Going away for a week in 3

Anyone know of supplier that has one ?

I've no idea how long it took for my plate to be delivered - ordered it to be delivered to my father's house in Cornwall during lockdown. I know that Bahnstormer Maidenhead did have 1 gen4 tank bag in stock, because I got it. Still waiting for the BMW engine protectors I ordered about a year ago.

Eventually got hold of a rack from Louis Motorrad (Germany)
Instructions are not great and make it sound more complicated than it is. Pretty straightforward but I would suggest taking more time than i did getting the foam in the Best place. Its only to seal the edges but if you blindly follow the instructions and stick it at the edge of the flat plate, it pokes out the sides and back. Def going to get some replacement rubber feet for the seat though as you have to swap them over each time (as mentioned above) and Im not sure the rubber lugs will take many swaps before they break off. Also worth noting - if you want to get under the pate to get something (the toolkit maybe) you need an allen key. Overall it looks sturdy which is what you need
View attachment Bike Rack5.jpgView attachment Bike Rack4.jpg

ive still not fitted my foam as i was unsure of where to put it, don't suppose you could take a pic underneath please?
The diagram just showed it around the edge of the underside of the flat plate. It's fine at the front but as it gets to the back it doesn't quite follow the line of the top of the fairing and at the back it then bulges out (see last pic). It's not bad but if I was doing it again I'd bring the back strip 5-10 mm back from the rear fold and 5mm from the sides.
Will see if I can get a pic tomorrow

Am a bit worried about the side clip points. Seem a bit close to the top of the fairing. Not sure what you think but I'm going to be v careful to keep clips clear as the rubber feet allow a bit of lateral wobble at the front. Might even avoid clips/bungees altogether on the sides and see if I can get a couple of webbing straps to avoid any scratches. What do you think?

It may be wise to fit the webbing if I'm honest. I don't use mine till next month for the first time properly with luggage on. It certainly gives you plenty of options to secure to it though

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I think it's more water. The frame sits a good 10mm above the fairing and doesn't flex that much. The wings get a bit closer.
I think the repositioning of the foam shouldn't affect the water but would neaten it up at the back

Can anyone with a Ventura L brackets on a gen4 post up some pics so I can see what they look like on the bike. Ta

Just to update members - Cotswold have a 1.5l tank bag on order for me and have done for last 2 months.
Had a courtesy email today advising stock due into Germany for 17th. Orders should be fulfilled by end of Sept.

Thanks

Hi
Have you got the bike to fit into yet? How does it attach? Have you got a pic of it fitted?

I had Kreiga bags on my Gen3, strapped down as tightly to the pillion seat straps as I could, but they always fought me for the rider's seat when braking.
I had mixed success with SW Motech Blaze panniers - first trip they worked perfectly. Second trip, the exhaust side pannier melted. The Gen3 end can (OEM) was a fair bit higher/more upswept than the previous models, and I suspect that the panniers/rails weren't sufficiently redesigned to cope. End can on the Gen4 seems lower, so should be fine.
The most reliable solution I found with the Gen3 was to fit a Renntec sports rack and use that to anchor a 70litre Oxford duffel bag to the pillion seat. Obviously, the rack looked shit. ISTR Alex having a similar (but less shit looking) solution of a Hepco & Becker SportRack replacing the pillion seat - aluminium plate with numerous holes and slots to securely attach soft luggage. Luis-moto have one listed for the Gen4 - to order, but I can't find anything on Hepco & Becker's own website. When they eventually materialise I'll probably get one and throw some rok straps on it.

As I have an SW Motech Evo tank bag (daypack) for my winter hack (R1200R), I have installed an Evo tank ring on my Gen4 - tank bag gets in the way slightly, but on the road I find that the utility of having it more than makes up for a little bit of getting in the way. Had the Wunderlich tank bag (crescent shape) on my Gen3. Never got in the way, but did scuff the panel. Dunno if/when they are going to do one for the Gen4.

Did you use the no screw bmw ring by sw motech. As I can?t find a listing for a gen 4. I?m guessing it?s the same as a gen 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back