Battery replacement and bike not starting :(

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schuey

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

Need some help please. My battery went completely flat and so I purchased a new one from Halfrauds, it was the recommended Yuasa that I got.

Anyway, fitted fine but bike now doesn’t start at all. Dash lights up like a Xmas tree with warning messages for VDS and DDC!

Please can you help, am I doing something wrong? Do I need to do some re-calibration/reset as a new battery has been fitted?

Any help/guidance will be much appreciated. I would like to add that before the battery went flat bike was running fine with no warning messages. My bike is a 2016 199bhp model.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately that hasn't worked, connectors are fully tightened and battery is charged also.

Unfortunately that hasn't worked, connectors are fully tightened and battery is charged also.
That sucks.

You definitely don't need any recalibration after a battery swap.

I had an issue with a flat battery in past and that resulted in a change of ignition barrel at the dealer.

VDS - vertical drop sensor.
The ECU for some reason thinks the bike has been on its side. Has it? Have any connectors been disturbed?

!DDC comes up if the suspension isn't connected anymore (I have it, bike runs fine).

Check all the connectors on the bike.

- Alex

i take it you charged the battery fully before fitting/starting?

sounds like a loose connector on battery or not charged properly.

does it prime when you switch ignition on?

Hi Alex, no the bike has not been on its side, and all this has appeared after the change of battery. All very bizarre :(

Yes Scooby, battery was fully charged and according to my trickle charger in perfect health before fitting.

When ignition is turned on, the dash lights up and the Rev counter does the usual full sweep and back. However, there’s no tick to suggest anything has engaged like it used to and therefore doesn’t start up at all.

Just shows the VDS and DDC warning signs with the odometer reading flashing showing my current mileage!

VDS sensor if fairly well fixed in place on the gen 3,not a dongle thing like the gen1+2.

sounds like you've blown a fuse,check them all,just behind the battery.

weird thing about the mileage,it usually flashes like that when theres an issue with ECU+clock cluster not matching

All very bizarre then, this was supposed to be a bloody simple job. :(

Will phone BMW this morning and see what they say.

it is a simple job,i suspect the dash is down to a short or soemthing,make sure you check all fuses+and relays are seted propoery,they could have been disturbed when taking out battery

I've checked everything from what I can see Scooby, may be I have disturbed something but not visible to me and I'm not very techie either. Phoned my BMW dealer and they're on their way to collect the bike and take back to the garage to stick it on the computer and see what's what. Suspect I'm going to get dry bummed for all this now :/

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd give you a quick update. BMW took the bike yesterday and today confirmed that the main fuse had been blown which caused the errors to be thrown up. Fuse replaced, errors cleared, they've taken it for a test ride and all is fine. They're dropping back off tomorrow. All in all, I'm happy that nothing serious went on. Now looking forward to getting my baby back tomorrow :)

Thanks for all the input chaps!

Thanks for confirming the cause, it's really helpful to people looking things up later.
Glad the fix was 'cheap'.

Thanks Alex, 'cheapish' and not as bad as I expected. £50 for collection and drop off and 30mins labour at £52, all in all £102. One expensive fuse, but glad nothing serious and no major part needed replacing :D

glad you got it sorted,thought you'd checked them all... ;)

if your unsure in future,post a picture up,it's a lot easier to explain where you should be looking next time.

That sucks.

You definitely don't need any recalibration after a battery swap.

I had an issue with a flat battery in past and that resulted in a change of ignition barrel at the dealer.

Is there a thread on this that I can look up? Or if you could explain please what led to the ignition failure? I might be needing to change that soon too.

Back