Jorge Lorenzo 99 Retirement

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah gutted for him Oli. What a legend of the sport he’s been over the years. Tuff tuff bloke at times. Hard racer with a phenomenal style that was so precise. The injuries have took their toll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its a shame to see any top guys go but theres so many new youngsters coming though theres not room for everyone. (unless your Rossi.:) )

I'm sure Lin Jarvis or Yamaha will always keep Rossi on in an ambassadorial role. :love-struck:

Loss for the sport. Fabio is demonstrating his style still works on the Yam. If one was free he'd be back. Suzuki would have been the best move if it was ever available.

I think we all knew the Honda was the wrong bike, when it spat him off everytime he got going it was painful to watch. Rules meant he couldn't use the 2018 bike instead of the 2019.

He came back from injury too early, because in his contract he could only miss 3 races consecutively. Can imagine Puig is a git to any rider that isn't performing like Marc...adding extra pressure.

At this rate he'll end up the only one to beat Marc over a season and has beaten Rossi twice on the same equipment. His results are without question and will retire a legend.

- Alex

Absolutely devastating news. I share the opinion of so many people, Gorge is an amazing motorcycle racer. I personally still believe him to be the best rider over the past 10 years...... give or take.
Definitely suffered with a spate of nasty injuries, which are no doubt the reason behind his decision? However it was who mentioned a ride on the Suzuki (perfect for Gorge) is a comment I've heard from a number of people (who have considerably more knowledge than me!)
Ian

It was on the cards for a good few weeks, but i was hoping that he’d stand by his motto: You only lose when you stop fighting. The injuries are what’s done it for him, not being able to compete competitively and risking harm every time he sat on the bike. I loved his smooth riding style which, when he got out front, usually turned it into a race for 2nd.

I dont think Rossi is done yet either .. he might not be on the podium as much as he’d like to be, but he’s certainly not wallowing at the back of the pack. Theres life in the old Italian dog if you ask me.

You don’t to even need to be a Rossi fan to disagree with that statement.

I'm BSB/Redding fan. Mainly because of how they broadcast races (making onboard videos available on youtube).

But purely looking at data, Rossi - 7 times champion on a decent bike this year (I would say Yamaha is more powerful than Honda as few GPs have shown), hasn't managed to score a single win

Untitled-2.jpg

If anything, I think it's Rossi who should be retiring now.

Last edited:
(I would say Yamaha is more powerful than Honda as few GPs have shown)

i take it you've never watched a MGP race over the last few seasons then? it's well documented that the yam is the slowest bike in the paddock.

Very very saddened to see Jorge leave too, but as you've all mentioned before, he wasn't happy and that Honda is a nasty beast. Jorge was always brilliant on a bike that gave him a good front end 'feel' (aka the Yamaha)- a bit like me and my Gen 3! Jorge was a breath of fresh air when he arrived at MotoGP, after he'd got that first 'crashy' season out of the way, and he was one of my Gladiatorial heroes. I still wince at the high-sides he suffered and as for him falling off at a cold wet Friday Assen practice and flying home to get his collarbone pinned and returning to race on the Sunday, still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Why Jorge agreed to go to Ducati was beyond me because everyone knew that it had a reputation for no front end 'feel', but his mate Casey Stoner was instrumental and Gigi probably promised to build him a bike with that front end feel, but they didn't and Jorge struggled with the Ducati until the last few races of his contract there. I have missed him at the front and will miss him in the sport too.

It leaves a space on the factory Honda for someone to take it to #93 - My vote is Zarco for the seat!

Watched Free Practice on BT today and Suzi Perry interviewing Jorge along with the press announcement plus views of Neil Hodgson,Colin Edward's, Gavin Emmett and most insightful posting by Matt Oxley. My conclusion is that he had one big off to many and the Assen crash could have easily left him in the same situation as Wayne Rainey!! Fear of another big crash must have played on his mind. BT crew think Repsol seat is Zarco or Crutchlow BUT could be little brother Alex??

cant see it being alex due to contract.personaly,i think cal will get it(certainly deserves it,plus he's a known quantity) for a yr,then possibly alex if his form carries on.

Back