Generator for tyre warmers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianbullsey

Reaction score
Generator

Hi everyone, thanks for the previous advice regarding Tyre Warmer. I'm going with Tyrex or Diamond.. Can anyone recommend a generator, ideally under £300 which will be adequate for the warmers?
Ian

warmers take approx 1kw of power combined,so you want to be a bit above that ideally 1.2 minimum,but 1.5+would be better.

as for rec's,couldn't say tbh,i've always bought them 2nd hand,usually the cheap chinese copies and never had any issues,but to be fair they dont get a hard life as dont get used that often(if it's just for t/days you wont use that often anyway)

Generator for Tyre Warmers

I have a Honda EU17i generator (1.7Kw) that I bought used a couple of years ago which is more than suitable for use with tyre warmers. They are quite expensive when bought new but if you look hard enough they can be found reasonably cheaply if buying second-hand.

On the Generator subject some questions.

Theres some at the 200 quid mark like this

3.75 kVA Portable Petrol Generator https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y86WM24/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_ZwW4EbPKXRZXP

Ideally what functions/features would you look for in a Genny, is this type not as loud as feck, that one Ryan has is quite dear, theres some new ones on EB for 600 ish just now, but looks like they run quiet, a loud Genny would likely annoy the life out of me.

It's to run tyre warmers and whatever else you need on a track day.. dont mind spending a bit more for something a wee bit better/quieter.

Thanks in advance as usual..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

On the Generator subject some questions.

Theres some at the 200 quid mark like this

3.75 kVA Portable Petrol Generator https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y86WM24/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_ZwW4EbPKXRZXP

Ideally what functions/features would you look for in a Genny, is this type not as loud as feck, that one Ryan has is quite dear, theres some new ones on EB for 600 ish just now, but looks like they run quiet, a loud Genny would likely annoy the life out of me.

It's to run tyre warmers and whatever else you need on a track day.. dont mind spending a bit more for something a wee bit better/quieter.

Thanks in advance as usual..

50m cable reel and park it in the field at the back of Cadwell paddock. Job sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do decide to remote the generator it?s well worth securing it to something solid when left unattended whilst you are out on track. My generator is quite quiet so I can keep it close by but I always chain it to a van wheel when in the paddock. Sadly, I know of quite a few instances of generators being stolen during trackdays and club race weekends.

Yeah that?s a point. Last time we were at Cadwell we seen a genny chained to a post in the field at the bottom of the Cadwell paddock.

Seems to be more and more thefts on Trackdays

I asked Diamond and they confirmed their warmers require 1250w a set.

I've just ordered a quiet 2800w jobber to allow me to run 2 sets, in case a mate wants to share / put the kettle on.

- Alex

I bought this the other day from eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inverter...-Electric-Portable-Camping-Power/254005889992

Haven't tried it yet, as always managed to get a spot in garages.
Looks really good, just clocked the same one on Amazon with a 24 mth gtee. 79db tho hmmm....

I see 180 decibels is enough to actually kill someone... I used to have a wife that screamed that loud lol

a706b9601738877320c8001de1648eba.jpg

Last edited:
Stuart - for the amount of times you?d use a genny I?d just hire one from HSS or somewhere.
You only really need it for the likes of Cadwell or if you?re doing a double header and camping.

I?m sure most circuits have power in the garages. Not sure about Anglesey though

I?ve just bought a 5000w inverter, not sure what I can actually run off it yet though.

I have a 2.2 Honda that runs 2 sets no problem. I bought it second hand and I think its older than time before inverted genies.
Before that I bought one from ldle for about ?150. It caught fire on its first use at Cadwell, and was bouncing around the paddock.

Thought they were 110v? Honda's are ridiculous money new...and still hefty second hand.

It?s currently in storage and without looking at it I couldn?t tell you. It quite happily works with one set of tyre warmers plugged in. I?ve only ever had to use it at Cadwell Park. I also use tyre blankets whenever I?m using it as they just help the tyre warmers along when your not sheltered in a pit garage. I think I paid ?380 for it second-hand but that was a while ago.

My i5000 just arrived!
Despite the name it produces 2800w on continuous power.

168f55e2bb7030c4e2916e681a98a4be.jpg

- Alex

Last edited:
Hmmm now the website said 59db.

But a sticker on it says 96db LWA which converts to ~70db SPA at 7m which is the reference distance for measuring genny's.

Honda's put out 88 db LWA which is about 63db SPA.

Still in general its going in a carpark thats loud already...
76cb5016755da3caf7260b0ffdd027af.jpg

- Alex

I asked Diamond and they confirmed their warmers require 1250w a set.

I've just ordered a quiet 2800w jobber to allow me to run 2 sets, in case a mate wants to share / put the kettle on.

- Alex

That's interesting - the lables on my Capits say 800w in total (500w rear, 300w front).............I would have thought all the quality warmers would be similar.

Back