2016 rr vs 2019 rr

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick H.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new guy here. I've never ridden a BMW S1 and I'll be test riding the 2019 M Sport soon. I would do as JamieMac does - make it comfy and have fun in foreign parts. I've never ridden a bike with electronic rider aids. I used to do a bit of endurance racing at the beginning of the century. I can just about afford the M Sport, but is it a good buy? I'm wondering whether this new IMU I've read about, and slide control etc., would be a big advantage on the road in the rain. I quite like messing about in the rain, trying to get the power down on shitty roads in the London area or up an Alp. So would the M Sport be 19 grand well spent? Or would it really be a bit of a waste, given that a low mileage 2016 bike on ebay goes for less than 12 grand? (I'm not bothered about the looks or the finish, just the riding experience.) I'm very pro BMW and I have a friend who's a BMW tech, so I tend to ignore the Jap and Italian alternatives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Nick!

I have moved your post to our welcome area as we like all new members to say hello and your post makes for a great intro [emoji846]

I think a couple test rides are in order to determine 16 vs 19 RR. However, both are incredible bikes and I am sure you will be wholly satisfied with either option [emoji41]

What bike(s) do you currently have?

Enjoy the forum!

- Oli

Last edited:
Hi, I ride both Roads and Track (av 40,000 a year) and have a fairly sorted 15 S1K but after 40 odd years off using my wrist as traction control I really struggle to fully trust all the electronics on any bike. Even the MotoGP multimillion systems regularly punt the riders to the moon and back. I guess the youngsters who have grown up gaming can just trust the electronics and snap that throttle open. The electronics are a safety net for me when you come across gravel, diesel etc and have saved me many times. Both have excellent electronics i.e all I will ever need. All I can simply say is ride both. The new 2019 has the best steering I've ever ridden, that's the major selling point for me and the TFT Screen. On the flip side the Gen 3 is cheaper, lots more parts available and proven. Gen 4's will be available secondhand soon, so maybe wait till next year. J

Thanks. I'm looking forward to some test rides at BM dealerships. What will they say if I ask to do it in the rain so I can try out the toys??

I want to try the traction control and ABS. I'm in London so will test bikes from Park Lane. I'll have to get creative with the route to find interesting roads close enough.

There are some tasty-looking HP4s on ebay, e.g. this 2014 one for under 12 grand https://ebay.us/YtJCxc How do they compare with the 2016 RR or the current model?

Back