Decal application

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Just about to apply the BMW OE decals on my CF bellypan... tacked them on roughly with masking tape just to suss out the lie of the land..

Any hints or tips for actual application of the decals....

Considering clear coating it after application...
8c10d83168b4dc9d613a5864317191f9.jpg
80ce3d52643950559ae61d7178e6fe2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Decal Application

Just make sure that the area where you are applying them is absolutely spotless and then just take your time. Whenever I’ve applied sponsor decals to race fairings I’ve just used an alcohol wipe to clean the surface first and then stuck them on.

Yup got a packet of spec cleaners from Aldi...

Have you applied the beemer ones Ryan.. I just wondered if there was any slight manouverability after applying to the panel.

S

Decal Application

My decals are all supplied by Sublime Designs. The only OEM items I’ve ever purchased are the BMW badges for the upper fairings. The glue backing on those bonded pretty much instantly. I would imagine the BMW bellypan decals are of very good quality and once applied are unlikely to move much, if at all.

Personally from watching my friends who are all sign writers. I'd cut back the mask and backing very close to the lettering in a couple of places to form accurate corners. It's worked for me for years.

An example would be the M of Motorsport. You can then put two bits of masking tape on the bellypan that acts as an edge template. Do the same on the opposite diagonal corner and then just remove the backing material and line up the corners with the lettering on the mask. Worst case you can still wet apply vinyl. Very slightly soapy water and slide into place, once the water evaporates it's on. Remember the old Airfix decals?

It's the long stripes over the length of the bike that are the problem. The rest is easy. Here's my Ducati I got my mate to make the stripes and it was my first attempt and perfect and no air bubbles. If you do ever get the decal slightly off and the graphics are reasonably bold, a sharp hard pull normally pulls the graphic off with the mask, so you can adjust.

I'd also buy one of these to squeeze out air bubbles.£3.25. Use the felt end to wipe over the mask. £3.25 Amazon or ebay.
IMG_0399.JPGIMG_0405.JPGIMG_0406.JPGScreen Shot 2019-11-07 at 13.48.05.pngUKCutter CAR-001Z Professional Felt Edge Squeegee Vinyl Applicator

Last edited:
I agree with the wet application method for the larger items, it feels wrong, but it does allow you some flexibility with placement of large items.

I would also use a hairdryer to remove any wrinkles if you are doing double curvature applications, e.g. a number board on the windscreen.

A few drops of washing up liquid in water will do. I use a spray bottle, wetting both surface and sticker. Completely soak them. Peel back and spray again. Position lightly, check and if wrong, peel off and spray again and try again. Once right squeeze the water out from the centre, outwards. Press with a clean tea towel to dry up moisture.

Solid advice as usual.. the spray thing did cross my mind so I'll tackle it at weekend..

Cheers guys

Remember if you use the wet lay method to let them dry before pulling off the mask. 😉 in reality the old airfix graphics didn’t have the top layer ie mask that vinyl graphics have. 👍

Back