Akrapovic full system and warranty

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwbadboy

Reaction score
Does installation of a full Akrapovic system invalidate BMW warranty?

I got this message from one of BMW dealers:

The full System is a non-BMW Akrapovic 4-2-1 titanium system sourced from a third party supplier as there is currently not a genuine BMW system available.

One thing I must stress is that any full race exhaust system requires careful remapping and dyno testing of the bike in order for it to run properly. This will invalidate the customers warranty and neither BMW dealer nor BMW Motorrad will be able to offer any warranty support for issues that arise with this bike. We would also strongly recommend that this bike completes the correct running in procedure in an unmodified state before any modification or the fitting of any aftermarket race parts to ensure that the engine beds in correctly before using to it's maximum potential. if the customer is still keen to have the parts fitted then he will have to sign a disclaimer stating he is aware that fitting of such part invalidates his warranty.

Yeah.. flashing your ECU invalidates your warranty. Fitting an Akra does not, unless the damage is a direct result of running that Akra. Example: You slap on an Akra and your pistons melt due to excessive heat caused by running lean = no warranty. Your con rods snap due to shit material = they will pay.

I would also not sign that waiver. There’s plenty of BMW dealers that won’t make you sign it.

That is news to me. When I bought KTM SuperDuke 1290R, the dealer happily installed full system and flashed ECU with Akra provided tune. All under warranty, no issues at all.

Clearly some dealers are relaxed and some aren’t. My dealer said they considered Akra as standard fitment so no warranty issue up to the point of ECU re-flash. A mate who has a naked R which has full system and flash has agreed that engine issues linked to the flash are not covered by the warranty but all other things remain covered.

Its a joke and I cirtainly won't be signing anything.
A couple of other examples
I bought a KTM ltd edition Akropovic RC8. It came supplied with a akky full titanium system which they were happy for you to fit. It also came with s race kit including thinner head gaskets. BUT if these were fitted your warranty was void even though they were OEM parts. Plus it was to be run on 110 octane as well which was a pain. I never fitted them.

Now the Ducati V4 has a fault where if you use it regularly on track the headers crack due to the excessive heat. Happened on my mates bike. . Ducati will fix it under warranty but say it will go again and they advise you to spend £4.5k on a full system. My mate sold the duke as he wasn't prepared to do either option.

For this reason, I am looking at the Brentune handheld, it's then possible to flash your own bike using a downloaded map and then unflash it when you take it to the dealer.

Obviously I won't be taking the full exhaust system off every time it goes to the dealer.

BMW put us in a difficult position, I had a full Akrapovic system on my 2015 and had it flashed, my dealer never quibbled on any warranty claims, but I never had an engine issue.

I wish BMW would accept that we are going to modify our bikes and give us a framework to do so, without invalidating the warranty. Ducati, Aprilia and KTM all do this so why not BMW.

For this reason, I am looking at the Brentune handheld, it's then possible to flash your own bike using a downloaded map and then unflash it when you take it to the dealer.
Exactly. The only thing you have to be careful with is the flash counter. Every time you flash/unflash it, the flash counter in the ECU increments. Dealer won't know whether it was incremented by BMW or yourself though... but they will get suspicious when they see a flash counter in the high 2 figures...

You don't fit anything at BMW, so you don't sign anything.

- Alex
Precisely.

A logical question that comes next, does fitting Akra at a racing shop automatically invalidate warranty?
No it does not. And if they try to tell you that, go to your local consumer protection agency's office. They will have a field day with your dealer.

Exactly. The only thing you have to be careful with is the flash counter. Every time you flash/unflash it, the flash counter in the ECU increments. Dealer won't know whether it was incremented by BMW or yourself though... but they will get suspicious when they see a flash counter in the high 2 figures...

Precisely.

This is what I do with my car - flash using Cobb Accessport then unflash prior to service. Admittedly it’s a different scenario and there’s disagreement over whether the flash leaves a record on the control unit (can’t see how it wouldn’t) - but I’ve never had an issue.

Anyone on here have experience with Brentuning handheld?

I am inclined to wait until the spring, as I know all the flash tuners are still developing their code and they offer beta versions of their products right now.

Not that I have my new bike yet anyway...

Anyone on here have experience with Brentuning handheld?

I am inclined to wait until the spring, as I know all the flash tuners are still developing their code and they offer beta versions of their products right now.

Not that I have my new bike yet anyway...
Yes I do.. send me a PM

Thing is it is extremely rare for a guy in the dealer to understand much about the ins and outs of the ECU and flashing so unlikely they would even notice. I suppose if something very serious happened like the engine blew then maybe they would want to get it looked at closer but most of the time this sort of thing is just down to the goodwill of the dealer to say to BMW that you are a customer worth looking after. If you're buying bikes and doing the yearly services then it's highly likely they will look after you.

Ducati for example just because I've seen it, have an actual question saying words to the effect of ' is the bike owner beneficial to the dealer network, does he pay for his yearly service?'

The warranty is basically between the customer and BMW. The dealer (or any other BMW dealer the customer chooses to take the bike to) is an intermediary. The dealer wants the customer to be happy, and to continue to be their customer. However, I can see that a dealer wouldn't want to be held liable if a customer chose to have something fitted which resulted in BMW refusing a warranty claim.

Here it is. Not huge power gains but he was mighty impressed with the torque and said that's the main thing.
Engine was tight still having only just done 350 miles. Going back in Feb after the track day where he says it should be over the 200 mark then.
Main objective was getting the fueling right across a broad spectrum. Didn't fit an air filter in the end as he couldn't get one in time.
Dyno-run-01.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here it is. Not huge power gains but he was mighty impressed with the torque and said that's the main thing.
Engine was tight still having only just done 350 miles. Going back in Feb after the track day where he says it should be over the 200 mark then.
Main objective was getting the fueling right across a broad spectrum. Didn't fit an air filter in the end as he couldn't get one in time.
Dyno-run-01.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

How did he do the fuelling,did he use a fuel module,remap??

Back