Winter riding

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masho46

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Guys going to have to ride through winter for work not every day but most days.What do you suggest as the best way to protect it against the elements.

Rukka makes clothing - it was a tongue-in-cheek comment that you'll need most of the "protection" in winter.

I guess I'd reapply ACF weekly when the salt is on the roads.

Get a cheap commuter mule. Don't treat the S1K with such distain!

But seriously, rinse it off every time you get back home. The chain might need a bit more attention. A good dry too. Especially in the little nooks. I'd recommend a drier (I grabbed a cheap chinese dog drier off the bay). ACF-50 should be good, but since you'll be rinsing her, a fortnightly (or even weekly) reapplication might be worth doing. Especially on exposed areas. What's your rubber like? Might want some more hard wearing shoes that don't need as much temperature in them to perform.

Make sure you have plenty spare fuses and what not too. A tender will be useful for the battery when it's getting abused.

+1 on Michelin Road 5’s, I don’t think there’s a better tyre for this time of year and/or for commuting

+1 on Michelin Road 5’s, I don’t think there’s a better tyre for this time of year and/or for commuting
Pirelli Angel ST or even better Angel GT imho. They don't come in 200's though :(

Guys going to have to ride through winter for work not every day but most days.What do you suggest as the best way to protect it against the elements.
As others have said before.. cover your bike in ACF50 (minus grips, tires, brakes and seat obviously) and apply lithium based grease to all pivots, pegs, levers etc

With the weather turning to sh17, would it be possible to arrange a group buy on things like acf50? Maybe other things like tyres as well? Just putting the idea out there. I'll admit that I have zero clue on how to arrange such a thing but I know folks have arranged things like this in the past.

Back