Gen4 Battery

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Anyone got photo's/dimensions of the Gen4 battery, both standard and lithium?

Curious to see :)

Anyone got photo's/dimensions of the Gen4 battery, both standard and lithium?

Curious to see :)

Haven’t got the dimensions but I was surprised to find the lithium item from my M a similar size to a normal lead acid one when I fitted my Optimate terminals the other week.

Hopefully noxx will report something similar - if not then I’ve been ripped off!

Yes I can see now there’s a 0.8A lithium charger, lead-acid being 1A. I only connected it for a few days but It doesn’t appear to have caused a meltdown. Have to admit I’m a bit cynical about the need to replace it but I’ll do some further research before using it again. I’ll see what the manual says as a start point.

Maybe ask bmw what is safe?

- Alex

Yes a good idea. The manual doesn’t appear to specify anything special for lithium, although it does refer to BMW’s float charger. The cynic in me might look for the page that states only BMW air should used to inflate the tyres. Will speak to the dealer.

Yeah I feel you, I don't want to waste your money, but I do know the charge rates are different...however the same bike generator etc charges the battery so errr why not the wall plug version.

- Alex

As long as there is no drain,a lithium-iron battery should not lose its charge for ages.

thats the problem i've found with all 4 of my bm's,there is a drain somewhere.wether it's always running some kind of electronic test on teh CANbus system,or whatever,but every bike i've had will drain the battery if left on it's own,all track bikes,so no alarm etc.

thats the problem i've found with all 4 of my bm's,there is a drain somewhere.wether it's always running some kind of electronic test on teh CANbus system,or whatever,but every bike i've had will drain the battery if left on it's own,all track bikes,so no alarm etc.

I've had the same experience since converting it to a race bike and there's no dodgy wiring or switchgear on there. It was never a problem as a road bike; I literally left it in the garage for 18mths and it started first press of the button but since then the lithium batteries seem to drop like flies. I've gone through three this year. One just died and the other two I managed to get charged up again but I have no idea if they will still work next time out!

Sorry, lads haven't gotten around to taking pictures, but it's on my radar.
Standard chargers will charge the M Sport battery, alright and can be used in emergencies, but should not be used at all if it can be avoided.

Back