Gen4 Battery

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to bump this.
Nearly 1 week in, off to Wales tomorrow.
Battery was flat when I collected the bike from dealer. Had a bit of a charge and a cuppa.
I rode home from the dealer, scenic route, 30 miles or so. Played with the dash a bit that night, engine off.
I rode on Monday, 50 miles or so.
Rode today, Friday, but battery was flat and needed to jump. Scenic route to/from work, 50 miles.

Should have been fully charged after 50 miles? Less than 4 full days to discharge? I wasn?t expecting to need a new trickle charger in the excitement of week 1.

It?s the lithium. Perhaps a longer trip at the weekend will sort.

Sorry to bump this.
Nearly 1 week in, off to Wales tomorrow.
Battery was flat when I collected the bike from dealer. Had a bit of a charge and a cuppa.
I rode home from the dealer, scenic route, 30 miles or so. Played with the dash a bit that night, engine off.
I rode on Monday, 50 miles or so.
Rode today, Friday, but battery was flat and needed to jump. Scenic route to/from work, 50 miles.

Should have been fully charged after 50 miles? Less than 4 full days to discharge? I wasn?t expecting to need a new trickle charger in the excitement of week 1.

It?s the lithium. Perhaps a longer trip at the weekend will sort.

Do you have one of the 2020 models with the tracker built in? Any bike I've had with a Tracker in my experience has drained the battery a fair bit (usually takes a week or two before it affects starting). However, the tracker will generally tell you when your battery is low too.

Regardless, would have thought 50 miles would have given you plenty of juice unless you were riding at low rpm with the heated grips on.

Yes, it has a tracker.
I'm running in, but operating atound the top of allowed revs. Heated grips were off.
I piled a few more miles on this weekend.
Service booked for Thursday, I might leave it alone until then and see if it lasts.

Just get yourself a battery optimiser. I?ve got the Optimate Lithium and plugged it in since day one and had zero issues.

On day of collection, when salesman fired it up for me it did sound a bit shit as if battery was weak, but since I?ve had it no problems with battery.

Does the optimate one come with the necessary clips to connect up?

Last edited:
Optimate usually comes with terminal connections and Croc Clips as standard...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok was advised the bmw one I?ve bought I?ve gotta get some lol... typical haha

Yes Marc, as Stuart has said already, it comes with everything you need and is a plug and play unit. Got the adapter plug positioned on the side with a nylon cable tie and so when I come back from a ride I just simply plug in the Optimate connector.

I've got the same, an Optimate Lithium 0.8A. And yes, it does come with a cable to leave on the bike with a waterproof end. I found the waterproof end a bit bulky (and it's not pretty), so in lieu of finding anywhere externally to put it, I ran it from the battery to under the pillion seat. I might hunt around in future to find somewhere externally that looks ok, but it'll do for now.

BTW, some information from the booklet on the Optimate Lithium regarding it and "normal" batteries (as opposed to Lithium), it'll charge and maintain them, but not Test and Save them. Don't know if that applies the other way around for their regular battery chargers on a lithium one. Just thought I'd mention it in case someone finds that useful.

I have just bought the optimate lithium charger comes Thursday. I had a optimate on 675r so have some spare leads now.

When connecting to battery, do you put the tracker is garage mode etc. As I assume disconnecting it will trigger alarms etc

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Last week on a lovely sunny afternoon I pulled the bike out for a ride after been stood for a week, but after attempting to start the engine, the dash died - battery dead. A minute later Datatools were phoning me up. :(
Anyway I have the new BMW charger, and was the apt time to fit it to the battery. I was a little disappointed to find that the connections provided where croc-clips with a Hella style connector.
Needless to say, the connections have been changed for something a little more usefull / safer - CTEK connections, same as the other bikes.

I have just bought the optimate lithium charger comes Thursday. I had a optimate on 675r so have some spare leads now.

When connecting to battery, do you put the tracker is garage mode etc. As I assume disconnecting it will trigger alarms etc

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

You'd hope so, but mine didn't! Although I did try to minimise the time off power. I just read the manual and this tracker doesn't even alert unless your bike has moved more than 150m.

Definitely prefer Biketrac as a tracker.

I have not paid for anything extra. Just selected the 1 year subscription which was free.

EWM.JPG

Just select the TOP UP | ENABLE option.

Last edited:
Back