Best Gen3 battery - the big one with the alarm system

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
The bike has been a bit 'vibey' for a few weeks now (my2017, 12k miles) - been back to a couple of different dealerships (for differences of opinion more than anything else) but there's never any problem found (since they replaced my exhaust headers a few months ago to cure this very issue). It also seems down on power lower in the rev range and especially 'dirty' between 4 & 6k revs in 2nd & 3rd.

Sometimes.. only sometimes, it'll fire up and be as smooth as the day it came out of the factory, which is the annoying thing as it appears to only happen once on hallowed Bmw soil. Neither dealership can find any issue. I've even second guessed myself and assumed it was just me being over-sensitive, but after a few days of doubting, I can confirm that it's not me.

Anyway - to the main point - over the last couple of days the bike has laboured a bit to fire up, so whilst at AJ's for a quick plug in diagnostic to do with the vibes, they identified that was the battery is weakening - 9.3 crank amps with a minimum of 10 required .. so what's the very best battery that normal humans can buy for a gen 3 with the alarm system fitted (so the bigger version)? I'm quietly hoping this also cures the vibes, but it's a long shot.

Thanks o oracles.

The Yuasa has 8.6Ah capacity, and mr BMW said I'd need a 10Ah battery, which is one reason why I discounted the Yuasa. If its OEM (and I do believe you) then Mr BMW told me a porky or 2 probably to let me buy his.

Are there any Lithium ones I could use instead? I've done a fair bit of googling, and although the Lithium has a huge CCA, the Ah capacity is about 50% of the AGM or Lead-Acid variants. I like the idea of a lithium one as it means I'd save a bit of weight meaning I could keep having that extra bacon sandwich.

You could get a 12Ah lithium one, but it's slightly bigger than the normal battery (and hideously expensive) and may not fit.

I have using a Shido YTX16-BS Lithium since early may in mine.

Don't be put off by the 164mm height, the battery comes with 50mm removable plastic blocks so actual height is around 110mm. Also before purchase make sure your charging system is healthy and putting out at least 13.5v, my generator was fried and only putting out 11.5v!.

Lithium batteries are rated differently to lead acid so 6ah is about as powerful as you can fit into the space... 360CCA is the important bit ;)

Edit:

The Shido's seem to be out of stock at the moment so this one looks decent :)

@alex

Maximum battery size is 150mm x 87mm x 115mm WxDxH.

Fwiw, the AntiGravity batteries seem to have the highest capacity for their size. They cost well over £200 though

- Alex

i've got a brand new shido lithium ion battery and charger for sale if your interested,its the smaller yt7 size though

I'd be avoiding lithium batteries on a road bike with an alarm system and potential electrical problems anyhow. I consider them an essential mod on my race bikes but they are very prone to failure/going flat in comparison to normal batteries and it sounds like you dont need the extra uncertainty.

All that said it definitely will not fix your vibes!

Last edited:
Unless I was racing and weight was an issue I would use lead/acid rather than lithium. You could buy several lead/acid for the cost of that one. The less expensive Lithium ones have lower Ah than lead acid meaning they will not last so long with alarm activated.

Thanks for all the info.

I'd purchased this one before receiving the details - wanted to get one asap. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FG4A29O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits nice and starts the bike without any concerns. The weather has been shocking here since fitting it (not sure its related..) so I've not had change to go out and exercise it but did notice on fitting it, that the 'original' battery was old, had beaten up terminals and was infact the wrong battery for the bike - it was the 8ah, not the 10ah that a bike with the alarm system should be provided with.

I'm talking to the old 2 organisations to have been under the seat (both Bmw dealers) to find out why its wrong/old and why was it never noticed despite double digit visits for servicing, repairs and diagnostics.

Thanks folks.

That is concerning.

If your machine was at the dealers for issues where a weak battery was a probable cause then it is very concerning.

Hi, one tip that takes a little to get your head round. If it’s cold and you have a lithium battery installed and try to start the bike immediately, it’ll struggle. You need to turn the key on and let the headlight draw ‘wake’ the battery up. It caught me out in the mountains one early morning. Battery wouldn’t turn the bike over. Another rider said turn it on but don’t start for 30s-1 min. Waited then hit the starter and the big twin span over like a turbine. counter intuitive. Acts like it’s flat but leaving the ignition/lights on for a few seconds and suddenly it’s got full cranking power.

Back