Track test comparison 2016 vs. 2020 model

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S1000RR14

Reaction score
Track comparison
S1000RR 2016 and S1000RR 2020 M Sport

2016 Model original condition with side stand and lights (Acrapovic full exhaust+HP Power kit sofware)
2020 completely original condition with side stand and lights
Both bikes have race rearsets at the original height.
Tyres rear: Pirelli Supercorsa 200/55 SC1, SC2. Diablo Supercorsa 200/60 SC1. Diablo Superbike slicks 200/60 SC1, SC2, Mezeler Racetec slicks 200/60 K1, K2
Tyres front: Pirelli Supercorsa SC1, Diablo Superbike slicks SC1
Favorite tyres: Front Pirelli Diablo Superbike slicks SC1 120/70 and rear Pirelli Supercorsa SC1 200/55
Only when wear resistance is not sufficient then rear tyre is SC2 or Mezeler K2
Whenever the rear tire lasts about 20 laps it is enough and i use SC1

2016 Favorite track setup (driver 70kg)
Standard ride height front and rear
Front preload +1 line tighter, rear standard 0
Sag with rider front 32mm, rear 27mm
Slicks Mode, Front +1, rear reb +2, rear comp +1
DTC 0 with 200/55 tyre and DTC +2 with 200/60 tyre
2020 Favorite setup
Standard ride height front and rear
Front preload +5 full turns tighter, rear standard 0
Sag with rider
Front 34mm, rear 22mm
Pro Mode: Front +8, rear comp +8 rear reb +7
Engine 1, Engine brake 1, Wheelie OFF, ABS 1
Both bikes have small SAG numbers for light person but these DDC suspension bikes works well when go fast.

2020 have much narrower driver's position which is a very good thing. I also like new clip on bars position angle. Bike feels very light when driving and turns very much better than the previous one!
New is so much different like old but get used to it quickly.
M seat is very good in track conditions. Tough and sturdy like racing seats should be. Street driving ass yes gets hurt when you drive long distance.
Engine power delivery is not berely better in mid range because standard exhaust and ecu program. Engine map has limited power and throttle position in standard format. But otherwise the power output is steady and good. On my previous bike the powers had been released with Acra exhaust and HP Power Race Kit software. When I do the same thing for a new one, it's definitely more powerfull. Now I put RS2 software and Acra full system. They are already done programming but the traction control map is still pending..
New Hayes brakes fades little more than old bike with standard brake pads and must have little more finger power. When you put on racing pads brakes are great.
Big problem with the new bike is side stand. It hits the asphalt too easily! I only have 1/3 left anymore.
I have to lift both ends up pretty much! On the other hand, it will soon be no more problem because it is already worn out.. The old model never had this problem.
Allso standard exhaust rubs little bit on the asphalt from the rear right side.
DDC suspension works quite well. Basic setting is softer than older one. It is comfortable in street riding and tight enough when go track settings. Lap times are very close compared to Super Stock racing bikes.
The electronics work well but wheelie control I have off because it limits the lap time too much.
I think the new one is more comfortable and still little faster than previous model.
Certainly the easiest bike on the market to drive fast on the track!
Now days I want to go fast with original condition bike without major changes. I don't want to build a race bike anymore because with this bike license plate on, bypassing racing drivers is fun:love-struck:

But there have also been troubles with the new bike:
-Front suspension clunking baddly
-Clutch issue, no neutral sticky clutch
-Winglet is broken by itself
-Cold start issue cough and back fire first 15 seconds
-Side stand wear too much onto race tarck
-Both fork seals was replaced
-Now must change oil cooler

All the best to you all! Let's drive hard and enjoy:beguiled:
view

Nice thanks for info.

Surprised that you been 70kg and on top you added 4 turns to from preload which went “only” to sag 34 mm.

Did you tried with no preload at all? On race track. I ask because for your weight all preload out and probably you would still be somewhere like 38mm sag at front isn’t it.

I can barely make it to what manual says 40mm sag from and rear 35mm street all preload out.

Provided the preload figures you mention, how many degrees lean to get the stand scratching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello!

Front preload +5 have to be for me because bike have otherwise too front weight for my riding style for the race track use. Now bike goes with good balance for me during the corners and heavy brakings. Rear is standard preload so its fully open and feels good.
These DDC bikes have small sag numbers for light person but works well on the track when goes fast speed.
Lean angles when side stand drags is 58-62 degrees but bike is calculates it from like a horizon so the curve camber always affects the figure..
Don't worry about Manual recommendations. If the bike feels good with these numbers, my feels good and fast..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YJ5--ztLQevP9IxaaDcX8gx1KOgmVpv7/view?usp=sharing

Thanks
Yes it a clear to me that when pushing when on the track is another matter.

And Carbonfiber wheels works well. Easy to change tyres like the aluminium wheels.. I have now changed the rear tyre ten times and no scratches or marks at all.
I took off the air pressure sensor valves and I removed the alarm from the dashboard so its faster to change tyres but it is easy anyway.

I don't have a bike data collection system.
I collect the following things every track day:
-outdoor temperature
-weather conditions. Sunny. cloudy, part cloudy...
-Track surface temperature
-Which tires and if not new then before driven laps
-Tyre Hot pressures after 1hour heating Front (2,4..- 2,5 bar and rear 1,6..- 1,8 bar) depends on track and air temperature
-Tyre wear after every set
-Lap times and four sector times for each race track
-Top Speed in different places on the track
-How much travel front suspension uses after every set
-ALL bike settings, suspension and electronic
I have only Starline gps laptimer with multifunctional features
Now days just for fun riding :smile-new:

Ah fair enough. Those Starlanes are quite decent for the price. You can buy the extension box to get the suspension travel data as well.

I cant comment on anything to do with track riding as Ive not had it on track, but, BMW must be sorting some of these issues as production rolls on. For example, I picked me bike up last week and the clutch is great. I have no problem with neutral, its as good, if not easier to find than my old gen 3. When I start from cold it revs its t!ts off! Cold idle is around 2 -2.5K for the first 30 secs and then settles down. No way is it ever going to cut out. It does make pulling away at tad tricky as you become a passenger, or wait for it to calm down.

Last edited:
Thats good to hear, its not something that bothered me but its the first time I've heard someone say there were no issues with finding neutral. Even the GS I have can be similar.

I’ve never had issues either. Just careful with it as much as I can.

I cant comment on anything to do with track riding as Ive not had it on track, but, BMW must be sorting some of these issues as production rolls on. For example, I picked me bike up last week and the clutch is great. I have no problem with neutral, its as good, if not easier to find than my old gen 3. When I start from cold it revs its t!ts off! Cold idle is around 2 -2.5K for the first 30 secs and then settles down. No way is it ever going to cut out. It does make pulling away at tad tricky as you become a passenger, or wait for it to calm down.
Hahaha yeah that high idle in conjunction with the grappy clutch made me take off a good few times as well..

The mid range on the new stock bike motor has more power and torque thank the Alpha 7.2 SBK motor. Although you can't Dyno one at over 200 bhp at the moment due to electronics.

Hahaha yeah that high idle in conjunction with the grappy clutch made me take off a good few times as well..

Admit I’ve come close to binning it because of this! Mine sometimes spits back before settling down, think they’ve incorporated an XT500 mimic mode to make us old giffers feel at home.

Admit I’ve come close to binning it because of this! Mine sometimes spits back before settling down, think they’ve incorporated an XT500 mimic mode to make us old giffers feel at home.

Ha, Yes I've noticed this too. Its almost like it does not know what to do with the unburnt fuel when you shut the throttle "I know, I'll just burn it all in one go and fire the bike forward"!!

Back